Pricing Options and Bundles

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HappyNihil

11-16-2009

Just my opinion:

Not a good deal imo.
Whether I pay 30 or 50 bucks I get a lot of heroes that are not my favourites and that I wouldnt normally pay a cent for and I cant select which.
With CE I get skins I dont want and cant select any others instead.

If I dont pay anything I only spend IP on the things I really want and since I (and probably most players) dont actively play more than 10 heroes I will acquire them relatively fast free of charge.
No reason for me to pay anything, it would be more of a donation than anything else.

What i personally might be willing to pay for: a bundle of 20 unlocked heroes that I chose (and I dont have to do so immediately), and all skins, maps and other utility stuff that are released in the next lets say 12 months.

P S Y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

11-16-2009

I'll probably just buy the expensive pack since i have the collectors pack. My time is worth way more than $15. I'd rather buy all the runes i want whenever the store launches than have to drop all 12000 IP i've earned on the 4 legendary champions I play. (kassadin, anivia, karthus and corki).

Poruku

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2009

GRAMMER NAZI HO!

Quote:
For those who would like to have all 40 initial Champions available to them on the first day the store opens, there is a compliment to the Collector's Pack with the other 20 Champions included.
It's complement. As in to complete.

Meta

11-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNihil View Post
Just my opinion:

Not a good deal imo.
Whether I pay 30 or 50 bucks I get a lot of heroes that are not my favourites and that I wouldnt normally pay a cent for and I cant select which.
Well, for $50 you get ALL of them, so there's no need for selection. I mean... if you were to go buy the new Smash Bros then you're paying $60 for the game, and you STILL have to unlock some of the characters.

Quote:
With CE I get skins I dont want and cant select any others instead.
Well, technically there were 2 options of skin sets between the digital copy and the retail box copy, so there's a little bit of a choice there. Additionally, with the CE you get $10 in Riot points which can be used to buy skins of your choosing, so that's something.

Quote:
If I dont pay anything I only spend IP on the things I really want and since I (and probably most players) dont actively play more than 10 heroes I will acquire them relatively fast free of charge.
No reason for me to pay anything, it would be more of a donation than anything else.
I'm sure they're happy to have players like you as well. Remember, they're planning on some of the top-tier players not paying a dime, which they're fine with. Then there's going to be suckers like me who probably drop $10 a month on the game I'm sure they're hoping it all evens out.

Quote:
What i personally might be willing to pay for: a bundle of 20 unlocked heroes that I chose (and I dont have to do so immediately), and all skins, maps and other utility stuff that are released in the next lets say 12 months.
Considering the store has a tab called "Bundles", I'm sure they'll be offering other assorted packages in the future.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

11-16-2009
2 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafali View Post
HoN is $30 and will have ~70+ Heroes I believe. Many are dota clones, but a good bit are new heroes.
We feel our champions are in most cases very well designed. Additionally, new content is a lot harder to do than copied content. It takes about 5-6x longer in iteration time, and the benefits to players are much higher when executed correctly. I feel comfortable saying that a large number of our champions are very distinct from DotA, and some are exceptionally distinct (such as Lich, Cryophoenix, etc... Udyr is another one of those who comes out soon and is ultra different)

Secondly, our pricing is a lot cheaper than HoN's. You can get all content in our game for $0. In fact, our financial models show the vast majority of our users never paying us a dime and sustaining concurrency on the servers.

I feel that we are giving you a high quality experience in most cases for $0. And in the cases you do choose to pay, the pricing is not unreasonable.

Valkor

11-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We feel our champions are in most cases very well designed. Additionally, new content is a lot harder to do than copied content. It takes about 5-6x longer in iteration time, and the benefits to players are much higher when executed correctly. I feel comfortable saying that a large number of our champions are very distinct from DotA, and some are exceptionally distinct (such as Lich, Cryophoenix, etc... Udyr is another one of those who comes out soon and is ultra different)

Secondly, our pricing is a lot cheaper than HoN's. You can get all content in our game for $0. In fact, our financial models show the vast majority of our users never paying us a dime and sustaining concurrency on the servers.

I feel that we are giving you a high quality experience in most cases for $0. And in the cases you do choose to pay, the pricing is not unreasonable.
What probabilistic software did you use to come up with your financial model?

HappyNihil

11-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkor View Post
the cynic in me: 2 MBAs and 1 economics major looking at Asian MMORPGs and a family&friends survey.. .d

on a serious note: the fact that we can play LoL for free is not the matter, thats great, we all know that, but as far as the paid stuff goes.. not so much so far, maybe it will change once we know piece-by-piece prices in the store.

At least give us a real "full game" version for whatever youre not affraid to charge, meaning all heroes and all skins that are released in the lets say next 12 months.

Meta

11-16-2009

Quote:

I see LoL sort of like how a lot of artists nowadays are offering their CDs for whatever you want to pay for them. For example, I believe the most recent Radiohead was one of these examples.

I'm one of those people who really likes to support the things I love. I dropped $100 for the most recent Muse album (Dual Vinyl/CD/MP3 pack), and I'm sure I'll spend quite a bit on this game.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

11-16-2009
3 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkor View Post
Games that use similar approaches never have a majority of players paying. Spending is more optional in league of legends than in those games -- so we assume that most players will not pay us money and just enjoy the game for free, which is fine with us.

Elmnir

11-16-2009

Quote:

As I said, comparing people who pay and people who don't is like comparing apples and oranges: for those who PAY 30$, you have to give them NOT 30$ worth of content: you have to give them 30$ worth of content IN ADDITION to what you get for 0$.