Countering Blitz in lane

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Heat 0n My Meat

09-14-2012

Any advice on how to beat him?

I was Corki with Janna support with me bot lane, vs enemy Blitzcrank and Ezreal.

Laning Ezreal 1v1 isn't that bad, but when Blitzcrank is there laning becomes hell.

Yeah, our Janna warded their bush so we could tell when he was in there, but that's all he had to do - be in there. Just by being there, his lane presence prevented me from farming. The constant threat of being pulled made me miss some CS because I wanted to make sure I was out of pull range when there were no minions to hide behind, allowing Ezreal to eventually outfarm me.

Once in a blue moon he'd actually land a grab and that would bring me down to half health. Pull + knockup + ADC damage = near death. If I was someone like Vayne I'd be dead instantly, but since I was Corki I was able to Valk away.

Janna can't really do anything vs Blitz either, she has no way of harassing Blitz, she can only shield me for a tiny bit of health.

I've thought of only one way to "counter" Blitz. One way is to pick an inferior ADC like Sivir so you can avoid those hooks and farm a bit more even without minions to hide behind.

jadelink

09-15-2012

Playing Ezreal lets you dodge grabs, and zip out when grabbed, if you are fast.

Playing ashe lets you have an arrow for stun for those grabby emergencies.

For heavens sake, stay on the opposite side of your minions. Minions block his grab.
Don't stand still, you make it easier to land his grab.
Stay as far back as you can and still last hit, its much easier to dodge his grab at long range.

Playing Cait you can harass whilst staying back behind minions, as blitz has no heal, this can hurt him and his support. A ward in the bush can be handy here, to stop blitz from bushlurking.

That having been said, blitz is a good support, who I pick every time I play the role if i can. Ban him if in Ranked, no question. (unless you intend to first pick him), A lane vs blitz will always be a bit painful.

Sivir isnt that bad as a carry, though I suck at her. Dont pick Draven, as blitz can anticipate your moves to catch your axe and make his grabs land more easily.

Martyrofsand

09-15-2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfg5d2w0Iao

Simply listen to Piccolo

IronPrince

09-15-2012

Letting him pull u, then running gives him free harass
an adc with someone like voli or singed. If he pulls one of you. Charge in and punish him for it. Make him not want to be near u at all.

MrCdiggity

09-15-2012

Lulu is an excellent counter honestly. She can polymorph him immediately and that allows at least less harassment. Rule of thumb for that Janna though should be to shield you the minute you step up to farm the caster minions in the back

Mr AIex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2012

I agree with everything said in this thread but would also add that Taric, Leona, and Alistar are all good supports against Blitz. I tend to think that Blitzcrank is all about burst, and that the only way to beat burst is to simply do more damage.

When I am the AD Carry in an anti-Blitz lane I try to position myself so that if my support gets pulled, I can instantly focus Blitz down, or put myself in a position to discourage their AD Carry from engaging my support. By forcing them to split the focus, they usually can't kill off of just one hook.

Honestly, Blitzcrank requires you to always be ready for instant aggression. His hook is a great initiator but if you have better positioning than his carry, it might actually be a better initiator for you than for him.

Lord Puppy Fury

09-15-2012

Move, move, and, what was that other thing? Oh yeah, MOVE. It's a skill shot. It's a lot harder to hit on a moving target. Don't just hit the stop key when you want to stop AA. Move erratically behind the minions.

Janna is actually a very strong support against Blitz but only if the player knows what he or she is doing. Never underestimate the positioning advantage her passive gives. Plus, forcing the enemy ADC to eat whirlwinds tends to make them play a little more cautiously. After all, grabbing a full health enemy onto your 1/2 health ally is kind of a bad idea. Finally, never underestimate Janna's shield. It boosts AD as well as soaking damage which can turn the tide around very quickly.

Against Blitz, ideally you want to control the brush. You don't want to force him back under his tower since his grab is most dangerous there, but you really don't want to let him camp. If he has to stay behind his minions, then you'll be able to see him trying to position for a rocket grab so you can adjust accordingly.

Finally, Blitz is a great initiator but he's going to have a hard time following through once he's on CD. If he does grab you, pounce his carry. Once his skills are blown, he's not much of a threat besides being a body that can soak damage and hence a really bad target to focus on. If you take Leona or Alistar against him, you can actually bait the grab with the intent to counter initiate on his ADC.

Heat 0n My Meat

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadelink View Post
Playing Ezreal lets you dodge grabs, and zip out when grabbed, if you are fast.

Playing ashe lets you have an arrow for stun for those grabby emergencies.

For heavens sake, stay on the opposite side of your minions. Minions block his grab.
Don't stand still, you make it easier to land his grab.
Stay as far back as you can and still last hit, its much easier to dodge his grab at long range.

Playing Cait you can harass whilst staying back behind minions, as blitz has no heal, this can hurt him and his support. A ward in the bush can be handy here, to stop blitz from bushlurking.

That having been said, blitz is a good support, who I pick every time I play the role if i can. Ban him if in Ranked, no question. (unless you intend to first pick him), A lane vs blitz will always be a bit painful.

Sivir isnt that bad as a carry, though I suck at her. Dont pick Draven, as blitz can anticipate your moves to catch your axe and make his grabs land more easily.
Staying behind minions is a given, it's still his lane presence that makes farming so annoying, making you lose CS no matter what. I'm ALWAYS behind minions until there's like 1 left or if he decides to show himself by running with his movement speed boosted. And that happens quite often. I miss near 0 cs vs pretty much any other support out there but when it's Blitz I'm constantly playing safe over sorry.

I don't play Ez much but I'm pretty sure the grab has a stun at the end, which can be chained with Blitz's knockup. Granted, that's like a free flash and will save you from taking a lot more damage than other ADCs would, but the 2 seconds of CC will bring your HP down plenty.

I can see Cait working but her Q is definitely avoidable by any decent player. She does have much better range for farming from afar vs Blitz.

Sivir isn't "that bad", but definitely lower tier as carry. I'll admit I still play her a lot though

I have had a lot of exp with playing Ashe vs Blitz, Ashe used to be my main. Trust me, you don't ever want to get grabbed and knocked up, that's half your hp assuming the enemy ADC actually does something when you're CC'd for 2 seconds. If you try to ult at close range after getting grabbed the stun duration is way too pitiful to do anything.

@ Offensive support suggestions like Alistair/Leona, who would actually win though between the damage dealt? Does Headbutt + Stomp really do more versus someone with Grab + ASPD + Knockup + Passive mana shield? Sure Alistair can ult once he reaches 6, but no one stays to fight an Alistair with ult on. If you get grabbed after your Ult is over and is on CD (CD is quite long - 120 seconds at level 1), I'd have my money on Blitz in terms of 1v1 ability between the 2 supports. I still would not see it as favorable for Alistair to get grabbed by Blitz.

XxxLumberJackxxX

09-15-2012

If you are picking AD after seeing they have Blitz use Ashe and farm at the turret. If you are any decent at Cs you wont be that far behind anyway and your E will more than make up for it. Your Q on THEIR AD will help your support get away if caught (blitz can't burst anyone to 0 unless he's fed or something bizarre happens), and you should just always concentrate on positioning yourself so you can't get caught.
NEVER STOP CLICKING, always move.
Graves is a decent choice if you aren't confident on your positioning as the passive gives him survivability.