Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

Riven or Olaf? Redux

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Both champs are very fun to play, not too much experience in lane as I main jungle, but I prefer playing Olaf to Riven due to his true damage and axes.

When laning Olaf, I would say max out your E and just powerstrike your opponent every now and then, the true damage is really, really powerful early on.
I also like Olaf better because you can go straight into building tanky/health items, his E doesn't scale off of anything and is just pure damage which is extremely useful and his W scales off health. Very nice.
His axes really help with farming, I'd suggest using them like Darius's Q to clear a wave quickly and get each minion.

With Riven though, she really becomes useful if you can get a few nice early kills with her, if not then you're going to have a bad time mid game.
Her farming is easy. To harass just walk up and W, autoattack then E away.

As for late game, I would say Olaf is better most of the time (depending on enemy team) as he can just walk through any CC in a team fight while Riven has to sit and wait to get out some damage.

I'd suggest Olaf over Riven, he really can turn a teamfight around since he has that "I pick you, you die now" power.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Actually, can I ask about another champ while this is here? How does Nidalee fair in the current game? I imagine her ranged attacks would give me strong harass at early levels, and while she's not the best teamfighter, I could always just split push (something I'd benefit from learning) She shares problems with Riven though, since people can just build armor and ignore her damage, assuming I don't go AP, which I probably wouldn't unless I had some experience with her.