Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Syndra: Great idea, not as great execution

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stray Logos

09-14-2012

Before anyone starts to flame... YES I'm aware she has only been out 2 days on the live servers and nobody has mastered her yet!

When we got the announcement of Syndra a few weeks ago I was ecstatic for a new mage. her concept and skills looked really cool, and I could not wait to play her.

INSTABUY!

Now I do not regret my decision, however she does not feel like the "mage overflowing with power" that I was expecting. As many others on this forum have already noted, she feels clunky and underpowered compared to many of our current mages (I'm not saying she IS underpowered, we cant know for sure yet). I think I was expecting a champion who felt as if they were on the verge of such power that they were about to lose control. I think her E, Scatter the Weak, exemplifies the type of champion that they were trying to design.

I have seen a number of people saying that her chunkiness stems from her E having such a short range, and the stun being unreliable. In all honesty I think that the issue comes from her W. Yes her Force of Will skill is fun. We all love picking up the buffs and trolling people, but in the end is the skill anything other than a Cho'gath rupture without the knock up?

Here is what I picture when I think of Syndra (from what I know of her lore and character design)...

I picture a champion who can create a bunch of spheres of dark matter that she flings around with reckless abandon. I also picture a champion who can unleash ridiculous amount of AoE damage, but at the price of a high skill cap coupled with no defense.

If I could remake Syndra to fit more into her cataclysmic power role while keeping her orb game play.... well just read on and let me know what you guys think.

Dark Sphere (Q): I would say keep this skill the same, with my new ideas I do not know what would need to be done to the damage/cool down of this spell, but it is not the focus of this hypothetical "remake".

Force of Will (W): Here is where the big changes happen. Instead of having her current orb pickup skill, we replace it with her ultimate! (Dafuq did he just say?) Yes her ultimate. Not the damage or long cool down of course, that would be broken. No... make her W a single target nuke that spawns between 1-5 orbs (with rank in the skill). This skill will also keep the slow that was on her previous W.

Scatter the Weak (E): This only change I would make to this skill is that orbs that are sent flying cause additional damage (like a certain % more that scales with level). What this would change about her current game play is not only giving her more team fight presence, but also provide her with the "barely constrained power" feeling.

Think about it... you use your Q and W for a bit of harassment, and lets say that puts 3 orbs into a tight cluster on the field. You then use your E on said orbs to send them flying in 3 directions. Each of these orbs will do additional damage to those they hit, and cause the brief stun. Essentially the change to her W and E allows her to amass orbs more quickly in order to launch a bombardment into the enemy team.

Unleashed Power (R): Here is where things get truly cataclysmic. Instead of her current ultimate (which we moved to her W), Syndra now gains the power to cause her dark spheres to detonate.

"Draws upon Syndra’s full cataclysmic power causing all active dark spheres on the field to explode causing X damage per sphere to enemies caught within the explosions (% reduction for each additional sphere)."

Here is what I envision with this ultimate... Team fight starts, Syndra starts laying down spheres with her Q and W, getting maybe 4-7 spheres onto the field before they start to deteriorate. Syndra then uses her E to launch all of the spheres into the midst of the enemy team where she then uses her ultimate causing all the fast flying spheres to detonate in a big fireworks display doing TONS OF DAMAGE!

Not too much damage though! That would be overpowered. No hitting someone with more than 2 of the explosions would yield strong diminishing returns, so unloading 7 orbs onto one person will not be some stupidly overpowered method of winning every lane. The concept of this ultimate when coupled with her large number of orbs and the ability to scatter them around the enemy team is to provide a very large area of damage (Think a danger zone about the size of Zyra's ultimate but without the cc).

Now again this is all hypothetical stuff that I would have loved to have seen with Syndra's concept, but I guess this is why I'm not a champion designer at Riot.

Anyhoo I figured I would post this to see what kind of thoughts you guys have on these concepts. I am by no means saying RIOT IMPLEMENT THESE IDEAS NAOW!!! But I thought it was a pretty interesting concept and I figured that I would share it with you all.

TLDR: Hypothetical changes to Syndra that would change her from a medium range small aoe mage to a longer range larger aoe mage. My ideas would also improve upon her concept of a mage who is barely able to control her own power.

Stray Logos

09-14-2012

+4 upvotes with no comments? Bumping for input

Stray Logos

09-15-2012

250 views, 5 upvotes, no comments....

Bumping one more time!

NotSoSlimSchadey

09-15-2012

I like it, riot pls

Zeoki

09-15-2012

I do agree with you now, I have had many wins with syndra.. about 85% of the time but if we are talking concept like you say, a mage with huge overwhelming power she does need to be buffed up a bit.. "Scatter the weak" should literally scatter the weak.

IAmYourOnlyGod

09-15-2012

Syndra cannot be played with intentions of doing well so if you enjoy going positive more then 30% of the time I do not recommend this champion with that being said Ill least some reason as of why I think this. Syndra sits with a Q being Dark Sphere doing a decent set amount of dmg but having a .5 ratio and a small range and delay to going off, this being so makes her hard to hit with and if it does hit its not critical and tends to not lead into a kill. Her W isn't terrible she can manipulate buffs and minions and her own sphere but as she holds a sphere it does diminish as it would normally I think that doing so really lessons the strength of the ability. Her E being a short distance knock back with a short range is not that strong now it can be used to stun but to set that up is difficult or impossible in most cases and when your looking at the spread it gets increasingly harder the more range you have, so the E is not a very strong at all its more or less the weak trying to scatter. Her R is a strong single target damage ability that require you to spend at least 6 seconds of prep time for a decent amount of damage. Syndra's speed is also a issue to me because she lacks defense as she cant run away somewhat makes her a free kill. So from a scale of 1-10 on how she is plays and stat wise is I'd give a 2/10.

Stray Logos

09-15-2012

@Getcriton: are you saying that her current playstyle is a 2/10 or my suggested playstyle is 2/10?

Either way thanks for the comments guys. I am finding myself getting better with current Syndra, but I still find that there is almost no situation I can think of where I would want her over pretty much any other mage aside from just liking the character.

I will say that my luck with her began to change once i stopped going for catalyst/chalice and instead focusing on a TotG. This rewards the spamming that you need to do in order to actually get stuff done in lane.

IAmYourOnlyGod

09-15-2012

Well I played 5 or so games and did awful 2/2 turning into a 7/12 I honestly don't see a reason to build heavy AB Id go utility she isn't a good enough ratio to be held as a mage.

IAmYourOnlyGod

09-15-2012

And i'm saying the overall champion is a 2/10

Stray Logos

09-15-2012

Ah ok. Yeah I agree that her damage is lacking even when building strait AP.

However I would like to get thoughts on the changes I proposed in my OP. Aside from ratio/damage changes, do you think the gameplay change would alter her viability?