Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Inside Design: The Music of League of Legends

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dubstep producer

09-14-2012

Quote:
Serkaidemor:
I was actually asking more in the sense that, do you have to learn how to play every single instrument in an orchestra in order for you to write music for it? Or do you only need a general knowledge of music theory?

You can always convey to the player how you would like a certain piece to be played, but in technical terms I wouldn't know if I could just write in a paper the same melody the same way I would write for any other instrument, if you know what I mean, or if I need to learn how to write for every single instrument that is being played.

its just theory, don't complicate it. that is what turns people off from it. i think for orchestral pieces you also have to have a good idea of timbre too

ByronicHero

Web Content Editor

Follow ByronicHero on Twitter

09-14-2012

Quote:
DarkShadow124:
Draven Theme song, you came back to me!.

The first thing I did when I got home the day Draven's login screen came out was go home and jam to it on guitar.

Karathrow

09-14-2012

Yo Praeco did you see this thread? http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2568252

>.>;;

Serkaidemor

09-14-2012

Quote:
dubstep producer:
its just theory, don't complicate it. that is what turns people off from it. i think for orchestral pieces you also have to have a good idea of timbre too
You're right, it's probably easier than I'm making. It's just that it sounds so intimidating.

iMyung

09-14-2012

I hope Riot can remake the Summoner's Rift music now that they have a bigger budget and more technology.

The Dominion music is absolutely Fantastic that I would use it for Summoners Rift if I could!

Praeco

Composer

09-14-2012

Quote:
Serkaidemor:
I was actually asking more in the sense that, do you have to learn how to play every single instrument in an orchestra in order for you to write music for it? Or do you only need a general knowledge of music theory?

You can always convey to the player how you would like a certain piece to be played, but in technical terms I wouldn't know if I could just write in a paper the same melody the same way I would write for any other instrument, if you know what I mean, or if I need to learn how to write specifically for every single instrument that is being played.

I think it's rather "understanding" the musical soul of the instrument and it's purpose. That's really enough. Like, knowing that the violin was built after the female human voice, for example, will help you understand what you can generally do with it. Knowing where the instrument should "sit" in the big picture, pretty much.

Also, the piano is always a good way to approach a piece. There are many classical pieces where the nature of the piece pretty much makes the piano sound like an orchestra, where it was composed with that purpose. You have the full range, the dynamics, etc.

dubstep producer

09-14-2012

Quote:
Serkaidemor:
You're right, it's probably easier than I'm making. It's just that it sounds so intimidating.

it isn't that hard, read up on it. don't force it just learn it. accept the things you learn and never doubt them. if you are interested in music or music is a part of your life it'll all make sense.

Serkaidemor

09-14-2012

Thanks for the answers Praeco. Keep up the good work.

Wendek

09-14-2012

Hey Praeco. Really love your pieces, especially Diana's and Draaaaaaaaven's.
Got a question, seeing as your avatar is Pentakill Mordekaiser : are you considering electric guitar/bass for some of the future loading screens ? I think that could be awesome.

Praeco

Composer

09-14-2012

Quote:
Wendek:
Hey Praeco. Really love your pieces, especially Diana's and Draaaaaaaaven's.
Got a question, seeing as your avatar is Pentakill Mordekaiser : are you considering electric guitar/bass for some of the future loading screens ? I think that could be awesome.

yeah, if the right champion or event or whatever comes around... for sure.