Syndra is Counter-Intuitive

1234511 ... 15
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Feladorzor

09-14-2012

This is why she plays so weird, why so many people are having issues. Her design is extremely flawed in the sense that everything in her kit is working against her.

Firstly, Syndra's kit is designed to use two skills in order to do one attack, essentially, considering W is useless without Q or a nearby creep. The same can be said for E. Add on the fact that her mana costs are ridiculously high and without RoA, Chalice or Blue Buff (sometimes 2 out of the 3) she will have an extremely tough time in lane and perhaps even after laning phase.

Secondly, a lot of people make the argument that Syndra has heaps of (overpowered) damage potential due to the fact that her ultimate can have up to 7 orbs dealing damage on the target. I concede that this is true, in theory. In a practical sense however we have to look at the way her ultimate functions in relation to the rest of the kit. Syndra is a champion that is very squishy, and very vulnerable if caught out, even though she has soft cc it takes preparation, timing and near perfect aim to use it properly. A lot of the skill required to use Syndra comes with the ability to properly position ones self as not to be jumped on and destroyed by the enemy team in a manner of seconds. Her ultimate on the other hand has been designed to do the opposite of that.

The range on the ultimate is extremely short (for a mage) and requires Syndra to get dangerously close to the target. Considering her ultimate is meant to be the bulk of her damage output (hence the short CD), it would be extremely unlikely for anybody in a real situation to set up 3 balls in a team fight, while maintaining proper positioning, and then moving in close enough to the target (most likely the carry way in the back) to actually activate the ultimate without dying. Counter-intuitive.

Thirdly, mages have always been known to be the AoE champions that can blow up half a team with proper skill usage. Syndra is a mage who has underwhelming AoE damage and short-range single target burst. Just thinking about that makes me feel torn inside, it is like she is a pair of negatively-charge magnets that are trying stick together but just can't. Again, counter intuitive.

Finally, and this is the kicker that sums up all that was written previously, even though she is squishy and has mana issues, if one attempts to build to compensate for such issues they are punished brutally in damage output. Building RoA + Athenes Unholy Grail (a standard build for combo champs like Orianna/Anivia) will leave you with almost no mid-game damage whatsoever, not without succumbing to the deathtrap that is her own kit design as previously stated.

With full discretion however I will finish by stating that I am yet to build her as a glass cannon and I am yet to take her into an extremely late-game match (where she may just dominate as mentioned in another thread). However I believe with my experience of her, that my analysis of her kit design is correct and it is in fact like pushing a car up a steep hill, despite having the wheels to move, gravity will eventually make it roll the other way.

tl;dr Don't read if not interested.

+70 Upvotes! - Perhaps we can get a Red in here? :3
+100 Upvotes! - Nice
+150 Upvotes - Morello has also hinted that Syndra has buffs incoming - i say 'hinted' because it was subtle

Shoutout to this dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xetios View Post
I'm loving the analogies of this thread. "two magnets, pushing a car up a steep hill" lol this thread is hitting the nail.
Edit: Link fixed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCM96...;feature=g-u-u

^ Froggen essentially confirming what I have written.

"She's fun to play, but compared to other AP casters she's not good enough"

"Mid-late game she falls horribly off because she can't kill the ad carry cause she can't get to the back line"

Elaiden

09-14-2012

I agree.

Rovos

09-14-2012

TL;DR "I can't play it so it sucks.." Ah ok...

Arisalisa

09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovos View Post
if you actually read....

Snowy Poro

09-14-2012

Quote:
TL;DR You're not smart

In response to the OP:

I agree.. for how hard she is to play, it's just not worth it in the end :/

bob000

09-14-2012

Her base damage is rather high. I don't see how you are doing no midgame whatsoever with a Roa

Feladorzor

09-14-2012

Quote:
This isn't about skill at all. This is about her design. People can get really good at the way she is designed now if they can pull it off, but it doesn't make it any less flawed.

blissless

09-14-2012

i haven't tried glass cannon yet either for the simple reason that i already know it absolutely won't work. even if she does more damage over time, her short-term burst isn't nearly on par with other mages, meaning she'll get wrecked in a duel without any sort of defence.

Elan Tedronai

09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feladorzor View Post
tl;dr Don't read if not interested.
Well, OK.

Fenrir Slakt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2012

She does not only have soft CC, though. Her E knocks back and if paired with orbs, it stuns.

1234511 ... 15