Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Garen Ultimate makes 0 sense.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Franny Pack

09-14-2012

Quote:
**********fan0:
I really was with you until the Darius part. I do agree that once his QE are on CD, he can't do much after that. He is an ad bruiser that doesn't focus on AA's but instead abilities. Thats why he is so clanky. FOr instance, when Xin is on CD's, he still has his AA to heal and do decent damage since AS has synergy with his kit.

thank thank you for finally realizing my point lol. It's too hard to reach people with this. the ult has no synergy cause Garen can never reach his opponent after his Q

xXL3PR3CH4UNXx

09-14-2012

Please uninstall for wanting that change

Vuther

09-14-2012

Quote:
Franny Pack:
thank thank you for finally realizing my point lol. It's too hard to reach people with this. the ult has no synergy cause Garen can never reach his opponent after his Q

Q's cooldown is decently low though, and Garen will have the durability to last long enough for it to be up again unless the entire enemy team is focusing you (which should not be happening, Garen is not the best teamfight initiator).

You see, some champions are ultimate-reliant ones. Amumu with his ultimate down? Kinda freaking sucks. Garen is just the opposite.

Hawkhell

09-14-2012

I don't see why people don't think Darius and Garen should be compared. Both have the sole purpose of solo top, both are melee, and both have a "finisher" ult. The champions are not the same by any means, Garen relies on mobility and Darius relies on CC, Garen has sustain in his kit, Darius has harassment in his.

I do not agree with the statement that Garen's ult doesn't match his kit because that actually dignifies him. What I do agree with is that his ult is too easy to counter and progressively gets weaker as people naturally build MR and gear for it. Low levels is where the ult shines which is why I consider the change to his ult to be a nerf.

Now comparing his ult to Darius, unless you are fighting against a tank that is building all HP and no MR Darius's ult will out damage Garen's. Garen's ult has a higher damage, but not high enough to make up for % loss from MR and not to mention the reset on Darius's.

As for people escaping Garen, I find this to be more of a problem now after his slow removal was put onto his initiation ability. This makes Garen going in for a gank very easy to stop with slow and takes away his ability to have an exit strategy. Most of Garen's problems go away with a Frozen Mallet, I also like to build a Phantom Dancer for faster gap closer and building Boots of Swiftness first.

I would love to see Garen tweaked in a few ways such as slow removal put back on his spin to make it a versatile ability again and make some way to build magic pen based on % maybe 10 magic pen per 100 armor and MR to give Tank Garen more damage.

Karthaingo

09-14-2012

That one item though can't stop all of the damage that the Gman's ult can do. Stop and think for a moment, even if you're tanky as balls, do you honestly think you are going to stop a move that can easily do more than 2000 damage outright? Not even the shield from Maw of Malmortius can stop a train-wrecker like that.

In addition to that, Garen doesn't have a cap to how much damage that ability can do, Darius' ult does. There is only so much bonus True Damage you can get from it, and it too can be stopped if you have someone with the right shield or ability. Here is a page from the Wiki that will explain how:
" http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/True_damage ". His AD ratio on his ulti is also 4 points of attack power for every 3 points of damage (Flat number math, the ratio is 0.75ad).

It boils down to this; if you think Garen needs a buff in the ultimate department, you're playing him wrong.

OtakuWrath

09-14-2012

Quote:
Jamaree:
Because Darius unlike Garen doesn't have any end game scaling with his moves, he isn't tanky like him either, and actually, Garen's ultimate does more damage outright. Until Darius builds four or more stack of his passive, Garen's will do more damage, and in fact, once his opponent reaches a certain threshold of life, Garen's will do more damage indefintely.

Only problem is Garen's ultimate does magic damage which means magic resistance will decrease the damage while Darius has true damage.

CerealBoxOfDoom

09-14-2012

lol he compared garen to darius, theres nothing to discuss here

Thubgar

09-14-2012

why does everyone compare an ult that requires you to attack 5 times to garen's? dun get it.

CerealBoxOfDoom

09-14-2012

Quote:
Thubgar:
why does everyone compare an ult that requires you to attack 5 times to garen's? dun get it.

because they have the same body shape and similar occupations lorewise I guess. And they have execution ults. I guess that makes garen exactly like darius xD right guyz right?

Hawkhell

09-14-2012

Magic Damage: 175 / 350 / 525

Additional 1 Damage per: 3.5 / 3 / 2.5 health missing (29 / 33 / 40% of target's missing health)

"do you honestly think you are going to stop a move that can easily do more than 2000 damage outright?"

2000 damage - 525 base damage of ult (level 18) = 1,475 x 2.5 (1 damage per 2.5 hp missing) = 3687.5 hp that has to be missing for 2000 damage to be dealt to a champ with 0 magic resist.

Every champion starts off with 30 magic resist which is -23% magic damage taken so to do 2,000 points of damage to the lowest amount of magic resist in the game that champion would have to have 4,535 hp missing. I bet this happens ALOT.