Building a Volibear

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ApathyWolf

09-13-2012

I play a lot with people I know on my smurf account (I effed up on this account by wasting IP and wasn't very good) and so I usually get top lane. Since I know Riven well, I plan to use her no doubt and through this forum and a decent amount of online searching, I realized mastering an unconventional top can actually take down a strong top just because people are not accustomed to fighting them. Therefore, I plan to master Volibear like I did Riven.

So long story short:
good masteries?
good rune setup?
item build(s)? (Like health, atk speed maybe?)

^ When I ask for these I mean solo top, tanking bot lane, and jungle if you can.

NinjaChopsticks

09-13-2012

I tend to build him pretty tanky, both in runes and masteries and build, and his base damage seems fine.Going top I'd o for Hextech Gunblade quickly, though. I play him support/tank and top and rarely do badly with him. Take a look at my profile, and you can check out my tank runes/masteries and you'll find some games I played with him recently so you cant check out my typical build.

Warmogs/Force of Nature and Hextec Gunblade are typical big items for me.

ApathyWolf

09-13-2012

Interesting. So you don't build Iconic Spark, or frozen mallet?

Tanathalis

09-18-2012

I like geting ionic spark on him early it helps with attack speed and adds asmall chunk of health and I think frozen mallet is viable but I never see these items in builds ( sorry for errors using phone )

Tr

09-18-2012

Honestly, i build him as like pure tank.
Have randu, mog's, and sometimes shurlias if we dont have enough.
merc/ninja ionic spark and FoN for move speed. If not getting shurelias then i take a GA. Only because i figure im going solo top and will prob have to initate with a toss back.
However, taking A.S runes

NiteRyne

09-18-2012

I play volibear as Solo top and build him as a bruiser

I get Flat health quints, AS reds HpLvl yellows and CDR blues

masteries I go 9-21-0

getting the 4 pts in CDR and 1 pt in magic pen, early game/mid game your ult and roar do good damage, and I think 4% cdr is way better than 4% AS

I start with a dorans sheild than rush warmogs into atmas getting boots in between. Generally getting merc treads as the reduced CC is more helpful than anything else you could buy. Getting warmogs fast makes you very tanky and helps offensively too with frenzy and also boost your passive.

Depending on thier team and how well you are doing I'd go for a hex drinker if you are getting burst down it really is a great item for voli as it helps keep you alive to get full use of your passive. OR build into trinity force. Generally you wont get past that, but if you do get upgrade your hex drinker into kaw whatever.

at 18 youll have about 4k health 125 or so armor and MR will do around 300 damage and will have 430+ms and almost 1.6atksp with full frenzy stacks and 20%cdr without any cdr items, if you put points in enlightenment and intiatior

Gamernaut

09-19-2012

Here is a sample build I made in Leaguecraft for Volibear, Basically the jist of the idea is to be highly tanky (roughly 4.5k hitpoints and 180 armor and magic resist each), while also having high mobility for his Q and attack speed for his W and Ultimate. The build was also made with moderate gold costs in mind so that finishing it is actually possible in an average game.

http://leaguecraft.com/lnk/TCk

Summoner Spells: Ghost / Surge (Surge has amazing synergy with his Ult, as do the last two items in the build.)

I don't really like Ionic Spark compared to the blade because that movement speed from the active helps a lot in landing your Q, also the Armor pen is nice, considering your W does physical damage. CDR is always helpful as well.

Jesot

09-19-2012

I can't remember the exact build, but I did some math once and came up with a build that made me really want to but Voli.

I think it was...
Merc treads
Warmog x2
Force of Nature
Atmas
GA

Gamernaut

09-19-2012

The problem I have with Atma's is that none of his abilities scale off AD, his W gives him attack speed sure, but that attack speed is also used just as well with AP and his ult. Also ever since they nerfed Atma's it's been hard to justify giving up an item slot for it on most champions in general.

Jesot

09-19-2012

I think I realized that in my math and had a sunfire instead.