Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

any MALPHITE USERS here?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AzraiLLiarZa

09-21-2010

just a question.. i start searching for guides about malphite.. cause i just bought him last week.. i found him interesting.. cos my main was nasus and and a great tank and semi/carry ablities.. im planning malphite to be my main because of he's tanking/initiating skill.. can anybody guide me in to what malhpite will enhance my ablities for him? DPS? Tank? Jungler? anyone?
tnx in advance ^^

Greas3

09-21-2010

I'll probably get a lot of hate for this but. Malphite is not a jungler. Simply having the capability to kill jungle creeps efficiently (without losing much hp or mana) does not make you a good jungler. He's too slow at it and he's a fairly subpar ganker till level 6.

That being said malphite lanes quite well if he has a small amount of mana regen. I recommend flat yellow runes for mana regen and possibly a little utility mastery 21 in defense 9 in utility? Most people either start with a dorans shield or a ruby crystal, I prefer the shield personally.

Malphite best serves the team first as a tank and later on as a dps in my oppinion. Start off building for aegis and possibly a randuins or just a heart of gold even. T2 boots, either dodge or merc. Once you have sufficient survivability (if they are really caster heavy obviously vary the build i mentioned a little...) you may build some damage. Starting tomorow trinity force would probably be a really solid bet. All of this being said, in the current tankier meta game, I think malphite is less able to really shine like he used to. That's no reason to not enjoy playing him, just a little warning that you may not be able to perform consistantly well. Many times their team will just composed of a group of champions you don't do all that well again.

El Hebrew Hammer

09-21-2010

I used to main Malphite. For a long time actually. However I have found out that in higher ELO games he serves best as a DPS champion with some tanky items. As Greas3 said, buy an Aegis or Randuin's. But then I would focus on Attack Speed and Crit. Phantom Dancer is actually a very decent item on him.

togarda

09-21-2010

Quote:
Greas3:

That being said malphite lanes quite well if he has a small amount of mana regen. I recommend flat yellow runes for mana regen and possibly a little utility mastery 21 in defense 9 in utility? Most people either start with a dorans shield or a ruby crystal, I prefer the shield personally.

Why would you use flat mana regen seals? You know that scaling runes cancel out at level FOUR right? Malphite's mana problems don't just end at level 5. I feel that scaling mana runes outclass flat on ANY character except for MAYBE someone with an INCREDIBLY strong early game that drops off such as Pantheon or Urgot.

tsukou

09-21-2010

Malphite can make for a great jungler/farmer, but imo you need armor runes, and flat hp quint to be effective early on, and he's quite efficient, especially since both his W and E are aoes. You can also maximize Hearts of Gold simply because it gives you armor for your E, and health for your passive, while making you quite sturdy. Grab a couple early, and switch out to buy new items, and you have incredible gold generation.

Malphite can also take on a lot of other junglers 1v1, making him very scary, and reliable as a jungler.

Ganking before 6 requires communication and positioning. I've ganked at 3, and E is simply just very strong, considering you should have golem buff from jungling, and possibly lizard buff, you do a lot of damage, and simply don't take a lot. At 4 tho I get Q which obviously helps for chasing. After 6 tho, anyone is food for malphite.

When I play with him his early and late game is extremely strong, it's just his midgame requires a little more caution because of the early HoG, he becomes a little more vulnerable to ap characters, until you can get enough to start building a variety of items.

But obviously jungling isn't for everyone, he lanes extremely well, and I've even seen strong mid-malphites. He's not the strongest of tanks, but he is a great initiator and chaser. He can fill the tank role, but you want to maximize your passive use.

Oh but if you are interested in jungling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGt6oaavegA
He is extremely fast.

malphismia

09-21-2010

Quote:
Greas3:
I'll probably get a lot of hate for this but. Malphite is not a jungler. Simply having the capability to kill jungle creeps efficiently (without losing much hp or mana) does not make you a good jungler. He's too slow at it and he's a fairly subpar ganker till level 6.

Malphite best serves the team first as a tank and later on as a dps in my oppinion. Start off building for aegis and possibly a randuins or just a heart of gold even. T2 boots, either dodge or merc. Once you have sufficient survivability (if they are really caster heavy obviously vary the build i mentioned a little...) you may build some damage. Starting tomorow trinity force would probably be a really solid bet. All of this being said, in the current tankier meta game, I think malphite is less able to really shine like he used to. That's no reason to not enjoy playing him, just a little warning that you may not be able to perform consistantly well. Many times their team will just composed of a group of champions you don't do all that well again.

This person takes flat mana regen runes. lol You decide if you want to take his advice.

Malphite jungles fast. He's got passive cleave to autoattack damage all the creeps, and ground slam to slow their AS to keep HP up, and his passive shield regenerates from camp to camp.

To gank before 6, This is what you do:

(make sure your target doesn't have flash or is on cooldown)
At level 4, you have both buffs, and 1 point in your slow. When you gank top or bot, Wait for them to get in range of your Shard (slow). Use your Q, and while the shard is in motion, you flash on top of them, use brutal strikes, then ground slam. You then autoattack them for lizard slow. Kill the 1st one, then your shard should be up to slow the 2nd one. Slow him and do as much damage as you can. You either force a bluepill and get the tower, or he stays and you HP pot while you towerdive.

I am so RuDe

09-21-2010

Quote:
FoFoZem:
I used to main Malphite. For a long time actually. However I have found out that in higher ELO games he serves best as a DPS champion with some tanky items. As Greas3 said, buy an Aegis or Randuin's. But then I would focus on Attack Speed and Crit. Phantom Dancer is actually a very decent item on him.

But you account says you never played a ranked game so how you know about high elo mister?!

M4nTiCoR3

09-21-2010

As a long time Malphite player I have found Malphite has a lot of potential roles, the best one being the one your team is lacking most of the time. He can build to be durable, he can build to deal massive damage, and he can build to jungle. Personally i feel his biggest strength on a team is his inate ability to push creep waves and towers mercilessly. Malphite can be played as a granite wreckingball that relentlessly pushes towers and lanes, opening up the map for your team to gank and manuver for temafights, and forcing the enemy to overextend early when they are vulnerable.

I am currently mid way though a detailed guide on this, but have been distracted playing some of my newly purchased champs lately. I will post more when i have more time, but one here are a few peices of advice...

Aegis of Legion...get it. No other item in the game helps him more IMO. It gives him damage that synergieses with BS. It gives him AR which synergieses with BS and GS. It gives him MR, which is by far his weakest attribute, and it gives him Health, buffing his passive. All this and a nifty aura for your team is just too good to pass up in almost any build with the big guy.

Madred's Razor--->Wriggles Lantern. If you are having trouble farming or with mana, this will solve all your problems. Buy this, invest in BS, watch creepwaves melt as the bonus damage will splash to all nearby minions...1 hit = 3-4 minions gone every few swings. Its like a free GS every 5th hit or so, and the lifesteal off Wriggle's is epic at keeping you in a lane/fight. The best part is it costs no mana.

Enjoy Malphite, he was my first champ I purchased and I played him almost exclusivily from level 1 to level 30. Really liking the remake of him since the last patch...much more viable now. Enjoy and...

Stay Rock Solid,

-gap81

VVarchild

09-21-2010

malphites for biches only use him when hes free

AstroCat

09-21-2010

quick malphite guide:
start with cloth armour and 3 health pots
ninja tabi (default) or merc treads(if other team has alot of cc)
banshees(if other team has alot of ccs)
frozen heart is a must get. makes ur e stronger, cooldowns faster, autoattackers slower.
guardian angel is next

after that just get what suits the situation. ideally though if you want to do more dmg get more armor.

skill order(generally): get q first (dont use it too much, only if they get too close)
max e as fast as you can. ofcourse r is priority. get w whenever you cant get e. max q last

reason why q is last, it just takes too much mana to be any use. e is better for damage output when armour is stacked, and it goes well with our ult. w is your tower killer, and also doesnt use that much mana.

runes: so far i think cooldown glyphs, health quint, mana regen seals, anything on marks that suits ur play style.

guide to early laning, always make sure your shield is up, its ur defence against abilities. your armour is your defence against auto attacks. dont use your pots unless you know u can get ganked fast, cause remember you do have your shield.
early ganks is actually quite easy than most people think, auto attack the enemy champions whenever you can. attack with e as much as POSSIBLE within the minions to kill minions faster and to damage melee champions. let your mana regen after each use of e. it should be short because e doesnt use alot of mana compared to q. once you have your ult target the enemy champ you and your partner should kill. (generally squishies and late game dps champs, minus trynd if he has endless already) try and ult both lane partners then e > w > q. proceed to auto attack and a final e or q should finish your target. if your lane partner is attacking with you it should be even faster. ALWAYS attack the lower level first to make them useless in team fights mid game. Generally, you should have a good kd early game because most people underestimate how much damage malphite does with his e. Two direct hits with his e is enough for the enemy to get scared.

mid/late game make sure you initiate first and let your team now you are and always say how long till your ult is up. after you intiate and you use your combo in a team fight, their whole team should be focusing you. if you feel that the other team has a high dmg output, right after you use your combo get out of there. after try and pick them off one by one, attacking the weaker targets first. its ok if you die but the other team gets aced. that is a sign of a job well done.

q is used for chasing, e is your main damage output, w is your secondary damage output/tower killer.
note for e try and position urself while in cooldown so you can just press e right away. it is a low cooldown so be aware of it and spam it as much as possible when ganking.

masteries: 0-21-9, get the extra armor not mr, make sure you get exp masteries

summoner skills: ghost is must have, good for getting back into lane faster, initiating team fights, ganking, finishing.
ignite or heal should be your second skill, i prefer heal because its already in the defensive masteries, keeps you in lane, and heals team.

NOTE: you are malphite, you are tough as nails, stay in the lane as long as you can, and level as fast as you can. Your items are pretty cheap to get, so dont worry about last hitting too much in a 1v2 situation, just level.

favourite champions to kill: ashe, mf, yi, kogmaw, veigar, annie, ryze, tf pretty much any dps/caster carry. I consider malphite the counter to dps carries. Even if your low in health, as long as you have enough mana to do 1 combo, you pretty much win 1v1. If you can gank them 3-4 times early game youve done your job against their carry. After that you just initiate and do as much dmg as possible so that your dps carry can get alot of kills.

your weaknesses: support characters. after your burst combo, if you dont finish they will heal themself and you pretty much lost mana to do anything significant for a while. true tanks. you cant kill them on your own, let your dps carry kill them.

keep on rockin'