Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Syndra Discussion Thread

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redeemed In Fire

09-14-2012

Quote:
GrignardTS:
With the ridiculously high base damage on that ultimate:

6 spheres at make rank hits for (320 x 6 = 1920) and the CD is actually really short (100/90/80s, 60/54/48 w/ max CDR)

6 spheres is pushing it, but possible with near max CDR. And, as shown above, it will just tare into someone.

I'd imagine CDR+Mpen would be the way to go. Of course some beef (as nearly every mage needs), but I don't think of tank mage here as she doesn't have the utility to back up the lack of damage.

A 1.5 s stun on a 18/14s CD and a single target slow is not enough to make her a 'utility mage' like Orianna. She is much closer to a Veigar that isn't as reliant on farming.

I'm ~400 IP away and will give a much better analysis later. I will try Pure AP, Tanky AP, Mpen+CDR. IMO those builds are in order from worst to best.

Ive calculated that at absolute max CDR, 8 orbs is a bare possibility. IIRC you can get to 6 without having to do any orb grabbing tricks (just spawn 3 orbs first).

Edit: 0,2.4,4.8s: spawn orb. 7.2s: spawn orb, grab first one you spawned. 9.6s: spawn another orb, release first orb, ult.

Sakuri Ono

09-15-2012

Played some more with Syndra and tried an unorthodox build with mixed success. Let me share the specifics and see if anyone can fill in the blanks to make her more workable in Dom.

Masteries: (Keep in mind; I'm only Level 26. XD)

10/15/1

Offense I go for the Exhaust buff and +4 AP; then tech down into +4% CDR and pick up the +10% MP.

Defense I grab the +AR and MR, then the +HP/Lv and +30HP just so I can get to the fourth tier. That's where I max the CDR/Lv.

Support I'm just teching into +Revive Speed for now just to get me into battle faster during my 26-28 levels.

Honestly not sure where I'd put the full last 5 after the 10/15. Anyway the point of this is to max Syndra's CDR as soon as possible. This leads into Runes.

Runes:

Glyphs- Right now these are the only decent/appropriate runes I currently own. I have 7 set in +CDR/Lv; and personally I think that's all you're going to need. In combination with the items I go with Syndra pretty much hits max CDR about Level 17-18. For the last two I'm likely going to pick AP/Lv.

Quints/Seals - All AP/lv. Because of the items I have to get for Syndra early game she winds up not having a lot of AP to work with right off the bat. A full set of these in both Quints and Seals should help fix that problem.

Marks- All +Mag Pen; so more of Syndra's damage goes through.

Items/Item Order:

Because Syndra has an unholy slow speed the first thing I buy right as the game starts is the +CDR boots; both for speed and the much needed CDR.

Second item is the Unholy Grail; starting on the Grail side of things to immediately fix Syndra's mana issues.

Third item has been the Void Staff so far (this is because I lack the AP/Mag pen runes and need every ounce of damage to go through). With proper runes though this might not be as important.

Fourth item is Rylai's; for the additional slow and most importantly for the HP. About this time in the game she needs the HP boost and it really pays off.

I'm not too worried about fifth and sixth items right now because, win or lose, the game ends pretty much soon enough to not get a 5th item (although in the time between I usually pick up the parts for a Deathcap).

Concept:

In general the idea here is to get as much CDR onto Syndra without taking too much from her AP pool. In practice I've found the idea isn't so much to max the number of orbs for your ult (but it helps) as it is to get your Ult on as low CD as possible. At about 48 seconds minimum cast time the Ult becomes a powerful teamfight tool in Dominion. Line up about 2-3 orbs, detonate the Ult; sure someone probably goes down. But the most important part is all those orbs left on the field afterwards. Even with the narrow cone it's pretty easy to stun at least 2-3 members of the opposing team with all 5 orbs (since they're clustered after the ult) go flying like buckshot into their ranks.

Another thing I've noticed is that Syndra doesn't seem to be good at 'killing' in Dominion, so to speak. Each game I've played, whether I'm completely on my A-game or playing terribly, I always end up with an overwhelming amount of assists with at the very most half as many kills. I've come to lovingly call her the 'Queen of Assists' because of this. I think it's because the poke-playstyle makes her far more suited to setting up the enemy as a whole for your team to clean up (via rather impressive AoE chipping) rather than trying to take down one individual player at a time.

Problems:

As I've mentioned before; due to the lack of Runes, Syndra lacks a lot of early game punch. This pretty much means you can't play Syndra at all unless you have a full page of runes, period. (Sure not a problem for people who've been 30 for a while. But there are people under 30 who will want to play Syndra and, honestly, just can't without that full rune page.) Other problems include that darn move speed (even with the boots you're still going to have to be super careful about your distancing or escape is just not an option) and being able to take a hit. That little bit of AR, MR, and HP from the Defense tree goes a long way towards giving you those valuable seconds on defense to let your team get there (if you're in that situation); but even with Rylai's dueling a proper carry or a 2-3v1 will wind up with you dropped so fast you might not even be able to get your ult off (although it's pretty funny when you trigger it, die, and have it go off in death in a 1-1 exchange).

Well...those are just my thoughts on her so far. Hope it helps, even if just a tiny bit.

Catnium

09-15-2012

sigh.... i'd hoped she'd be different but she's just another cdr boots + grail champ ..thats like how i build most ap champs simply coz grail is just to good not to take 90 ap + 50 mr+ cdr + unlimited mana .. yes plz
its getting really boring to have only 4 builds for 103 champions..

Helixes

09-15-2012

I'm not super good but my general find is that melee > me on syndra no exceptions.

Reptomincus

09-15-2012

It seems whenever you place her sphere in a crowd of minions and you want to throw the sphere, it picks up a minion instead. That annoys me... Not sure if anyone else is having the same problem.

larkhill

09-15-2012

Quote:
Reptomincus:
It seems whenever you place her sphere in a crowd of minions and you want to throw the sphere, it picks up a minion instead. That annoys me... Not sure if anyone else is having the same problem.

u just have to click on the orb with perfect accuracy. it definitely takes some practice.

Infirc

09-16-2012

Quote:
Reptomincus:

Me, i'm having the same problem the spell should prioritize orbs

@Catnium 104, she's the 104th champion

also tried Syndra again, what can i say Diana 2 shotted me under myturret without even having to reset her ult and her E did cancel my ult, Her E+ my E caused some funny flyng Syndra situations too.

Goronok

09-16-2012

Syndra looks like another Rengar to me. Over promised and under delivered.

Infirc

09-16-2012

Hey may be a Sr video but this guy plays a pretty good Syndra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HXdlQ3f3Ho&feature=results_video

Infirc

09-16-2012

Quote:
Infirc:
Hey may be a Sr video but this guy plays a pretty good Syndra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HXdlQ3f3Ho&feature=results_video

seems that you can instantly leash her ball before the Animation appears on the field.