Another question on AD vs AP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chopinator

11-18-2012

OK, Just did a PVP match using Lux.

Final stats -

Total Damage- 171,948
Physical (AD) damage- 54,766
Magical (AP) damage- 116,802

So my question is how come 33% of her damage is AD when I had the following gear-

NInja Tabi
Rod of Ages
Lich Bane
Zhonya's HourGlass
Rabadon's Deathcap
Null-Magic Mantle

All (except mantle) of these increase AP which is magic damage correct?
I am stuggling with the AD vs AP thing. Thanks for help.

Retui

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Throughout the course of the game physical damage is added up whenever you inflict damage with basic attacks or physical damage spells. It really doesn't have anything to do with the type of items that you buy.

Another thing is that AP and AD are a type of statistic. It doesn't necessarily mean that AD will always deal physical damage. It could deal magic damage. The same can be said about AP and magic damage, though I can't recall if there is someone who scales off AP but deals physical damage. I'm talking mainly about spells here though.

Hoped that clarified some things.

TwistWrist

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retui View Post
Throughout the course of the game physical damage is added up whenever you inflict damage with basic attacks or physical damage spells. It really doesn't have anything to do with the type of items that you buy.
Nah, it is just because he has a Lich Bane. The extra damage is all physical. All of Lux's damage spells do magic damage but Lich Bane/Sheen procs are physical.

BawksUvAydes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Those numbers are really weird, I'm thinking they may be inaccurate or taking too many things into account and not taking others. Damage to towers and creeps is all physical, but that physical damage dealt seems REALLY high. To be honest, the end-game damage stats are almost never worth looking at. The main important things are gold, creep kills, items, score.

In general your build is fine, though ninja tabi was a bad choice unless the other team was almost entirely AD, in which case it was at least arguable but not optimal. Lux is a long-range character, and if you're at the range where you need Ninja Tabi's armor, you're probably too close to the fight. Sorc Shoes or Ionian Boots are usually better on her, you had no CDR on Lux who works well with CDR. However, all items you bought gave AP in some way, which is fine and what you should be doing. But like I said, try to squeeze some CDR in there, usually in the form of Ionian Boots.

It seems like the endgame damage numbers are just weird, don't pay any attention to them and keep doing what you're doing.

EDIT: Even veterans can learn something new. Turns out Lichbane does in fact do physical damage, I had always assumed that since it's based off your AP that it did magic damage. Interesting. Well that certainly explains it. Makes the numbers look really weird, eh?

Retui

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistWrist View Post
Nah, it is just because he has a Lich Bane. The extra damage is all physical. All of Lux's damage spells do magic damage but Lich Bane/Sheen procs are physical.
Ah, yes. You are absolutely correct. It makes those damage numbers higher because of it.

Chopinator

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawksUvAydes View Post
To be honest, the end-game damage stats are almost never worth looking at. The main important things are gold, creep kills, items, score.
I like looking at damage output at end of game because it gives me an idea on what to build on whom if I want mix things up.

Gold- 16,502
CS- 154
Turrets- 2
Inhibitors- 2
K\D\A- 16-3-19 (proud of this as one of our teammates went 0-8-0 to start, he was mid. Myself and lane partner ended up having to take on his mid opponent who was fed when he came to top, my lane partner was phenomenal)

So my 55K worth of AD damage was due Lich Bane?

Again I am sorry to beat a dead horse, but is there a list of champions and their talents showing which QWER scales with AP vs AD? I dont mean the description found on champion page, I mean something that says Lux's (for example) talents scale as follows- then list QWER and if they should be used with AP vs AD. Thanks again.

DemonicUtensil

11-19-2012

There are a number of wikis and other information sources for LoL champions (LoL Wiki, even an android app) that you can look around at.

Ingame, you can tell if the scaling is by AD, AP, or something else by the color of the addition number. if it says (+somenumber) in green letters, it scales with AP. Any AD-scaling abilities will have orange letters, and abilities that scale off of some weird champion-specific mechanic will be blue (ie Ryze's damage scales with mana).

Only some AD carries and some bruisers' abilities scale with AD. Mages pretty much never scale with AD.

Regardless, there's a difference between something dealing physical damage and something scaling with AD. A skill can scale with AD and deal magic damage and vice versa. The damage type of the ability is shown in the tooltip

Quote:
So my 55K worth of AD damage was due Lich Bane?
Any time you use an ability and then autoattack during the game (unless it's been less than 2s since you last did that), you will be doing AP + ~100 damage. If you toss a Q at minions and then last hit another one, that's hundreds of damage as an example. Over the course of a long game you'll be doing that a lot, particularly because of your passive. Furthermore, you're spending the whole early part of the game just autoattacking minions for last hits.

TwistWrist

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopinator View Post
Again I am sorry to beat a dead horse, but is there a list of champions and their talents showing which QWER scales with AP vs AD? I dont mean the description found on champion page, I mean something that says Lux's (for example) talents scale as follows- then list QWER and if they should be used with AP vs AD. Thanks again.
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Lux

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...bility_Details

Just avoid any strategy advice on the wiki. A lot of it **** but I have no desire to spend all my time arguing with the people on the wiki.

Chopinator

11-19-2012

TY both.

So the main number (in blue I think) for QWER is a set amount that will not scale with AP or AD, it just increases as you level up?

All AA scale with AD correct?

SomniumProxy

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopinator View Post
TY both.

So the main number (in blue I think) for QWER is a set amount that will not scale with AP or AD, it just increases as you level up?

All AA scale with AD correct?
Yes the base damage of the spell is only related to its level. The bonus damage from AP and/or AD is determined by its ratios.

All AA scale with AD, yes. However 40% of your AP will be added to auto attacks ONLY when attacking structures. This is to help mages push.