Most humane way to put an old dog down at home?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Powerstoned

09-13-2012

She's 16 going on a thousand, any suggestions?

Kohana Sushi

09-13-2012

Are you opposed to euthanasia at the vet?

Also is she sick? Is death necessary at this point?

If you really want to do this at home "humanely", either shoot her in the head if you have a gun or snap her neck if she's small enough. That sounds gruesome and it's not exactly my idea of a pleasant last few moments with her, but if you want it done quick, you're going to have to choose between the two options.

I honestly would recommend taking her to the vet. If you've never killed an animal, you really don't want to practice on what you'd consider a family member rather than food. If you do it wrong, it's possible in her last moments she will suffer greatly, which I imagine would be traumatizing for you to witness.

Sorry about your dog.

KonFewShuN

09-13-2012

Take her to the back yard, then shoot in the head.

Powerstoned

09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity Flowers View Post
Are you opposed to euthanasia at the vet?

Also is she sick? Is death necessary at this point?

If you really want to do this at home "humanely", either shoot her in the head if you have a gun or snap her neck if she's small enough. That sounds gruesome and it's not exactly my idea of a pleasant last few moments with her, but if you want it done quick, you're going to have to choose between the two options.

I honestly would recommend taking her to the vet. If you've never killed an animal, you really don't want to practice on what you'd consider a family member rather than food. If you do it wrong, it's possible in her last moments she will suffer greatly, which I imagine would be traumatizing for you to witness.

Sorry about your dog.
I had worked at a zoo and pet store for a good number of years, so i've put down a lot of animals, but I have neither gas here, nor an injection, and she's a little too big to snap her neck safely with a single blow. I only own a 12gauge, but own a home in a city/suburb so having that thing going off here is out of the question. The professionals I've talked to said "just make sure it's humane", so just looking for suggestions.

Kohana Sushi

09-13-2012

Shooting her in the head is definitely the way to go. You could also bleed her out if you slit her jugular, which can go badly if you do it wrong. If you know how and are willing that will work. The risk is that you will cut her trachea and she would suffocate.

Any reason you'd rather not go to the vet?

Elan Tedronai

09-13-2012

Do you have friends in the country? Actually, any friendly farmer would probably let you do it in his field if you explain to him your circumstances. What are you planning to do with the corpse?

IS1d69e2e5726f5f

09-13-2012

punch her to death

Arksoul

09-13-2012

if you know how he dies, do it that way.

KonFewShuN

09-13-2012

ITT : PETA down votes perfectly good ways to kill a dog humanely.

Kohana Sushi

09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonFewShuN View Post
ITT : PETA down votes perfectly good ways to kill a dog humanely.
PETA's idea of humanely killing a chicken is putting it in an airtight container with a hose attached to it and releasing pure CO2 into the container. True story.

Suffocating to death is the preferable way to die, as we all know.