I can confirm that standard AD kog'maw DOES work in dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wolf Un1t

09-12-2012

If you remember me, I asked that question about how to build kog'maw on dominion. Well I've tried out all of your suggested builds, and after playing kog'maw non-stop on dominion for the past week, I believe standard AD carry kog'maw is the best way to go.

As with all the builds I tried out (even a very tanky build) I averaged at about 6-10 deaths per game, because people dive me no matter what. However, the standard AD build is what got me the most damage before I died (as the enemies like to butt**** me as soon as they see me) I felt like the on-hit build started to fall off quite a bit late-game as enemies got more MR, while a quick last whisper helped against enemies building armor in AD kog. I would build Void staff but that seems like a waste on an on-hit build. On games where I wasn't focused, I had at least 17-20 kills. On games I was focused (which was usually the case) with an AD build, I still got at least 10-15 kills and went positive in score. while being a huge help to my team because I was a massive damage dealer. In the late game, I actually managed to kill my assasins before they killed me when I got around half HP because of how fast they would melt (and maybe because I had a handy chain vest or negatron cloak.)

If you look at my match history, I have won every single game as AD Kog'maw, and this is around 1750-1800 dominion ELO, where everyone and their dog takes revive. You'll notice in one game I built a chain vest somewhat early because I was having trouble against an AD champion (I think it might have been jayce or yorick), but that one chain vest solved all my problems, then continued to build glassy AD, and i only died twice in that game, while outputting some serious damage.

One final note, I do not claim to be the expert of kog'maw dominion build, nor am I saying this is the best build possible, although it was the best of all the builds I tried, and with nice results, and I'm just here to confirm that standard AD koggles works for me. Also, I'm tired of people calling me bad in champion select because I wish to build Straight AD

Wolf Un1t

09-12-2012

Also, I can see why an on-hit build is so popular on kog'maw, and it's because of his W.

HOWEVER, I think that just one mere phantom dancer from the AD build does everything the on-hit kog'maw build is, well, built around. PD also gives him so much needed movespeed, and movespeed is really nice in dominion.

Another thing, when people are attacking top, I like to sit in that brush on the top and activate W and fire away at the people attacking our turret, If I'm alone, and there is just one enemy, I can kill the enemy before they get to me, or if my team is defending, I can just fire away from that great position, and escape the other way if people start coming up there

FDru

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Un1t View Post
Also, I can see why an on-hit build is so popular on kog'maw, and it's because of his W.
But you can't see why Void Staff is not "a waste".

Oooooooooookay.

blackDAILO

09-12-2012

How about an early vamp and a phage later on for survivability and kiting? That might solve your issues of blowing up right away in a teamfight.

MyDeadGrandma

09-12-2012

Did you start getting merc treads like I told you?

Wolf Un1t

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDeadGrandma View Post
Did you start getting merc treads like I told you?
It didn't help as much as i thought it would. Expecially with a lot of champions on dominion that I've been seeing lately that doesn't recude CC. (Alistar and his ****, Jayce and his knockback into his team, Warwick and his ult, A lot of Blitzcranks and their junk) Those champions seem to be very popular in my matches, I feel like mercury treads are more for bruisers in that mode. Also. mercs don't hepl agaisnt assasins, especially AD assasins like talon who can own me quickly

Wolf Un1t

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackDAILO View Post
How about an early vamp and a phage later on for survivability and kiting? That might solve your issues of blowing up right away in a teamfight.
I have actually tried that, but with so much champions with gap closers on a short cooldown, I don't have time to keep attacking to wait until my phage procs to run away, and even then they seem to catch up to me, and use their gap closer again, and vamp scepter doesn't help that much unless I have some damage at the start (but it helps A TON in my AD build later on), or if I'm not bot lane, so the only way I see to go is fight them head on.

Wolf Un1t

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
But you can't see why Void Staff is not "a waste".

Oooooooooookay.
You go into a game, Try on-hit kog'maw, and buy a void staff when your damage falls off.

Tell me how it goes, it didn't go so well for me. I just felt liked the gold could have been better spent. Easier said than done right?

Also, the damage isn't that comparable anyways from AD kog to on-hit. Say if kogs W did 8% per hit from the AP, that's 240 damage assuming the enemy has NO MR. Compare that to the damage you get from an AD build, including the crits and the base 6% from his W that you naturally get, and the phantom dancer that I like to build in AD

Secretnir

09-12-2012

Since I didn't see the original post/discussion, could you post your build? If you could mention them in the order you get the items that'd be helpful too.

Phourc

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Un1t View Post
You go into a game, Try on-hit kog'maw, and buy a void staff when your damage falls off.

Tell me how it goes, it didn't go so well for me. I just felt liked the gold could have been better spent. Easier said than done right?
Penetrating 50% (well, 49% with aura + mastery + void staff) of the enemy's resistances is always a pretty good damage booster - but the enemy has to build some MR for it to be worth it. Otherwise, you'd probably be better off building flat MPen.

e.g.
At 30 MR (23% reduced), base for all champions, you'd only reduce them to 15 MR (13% reduced) for a damage increase of 13%.
At 100 MR (50% reduced) your would reduce them to 50 MR (33% reduced) for a damage increase of 33%.
At 200 MR (67% reduced) you would reduce them to 100 MR (50% reduced) for a damage increase of 50%.

For 2300g, I'd definitely take that 50% damage increase - for the 30 MR I'd most likely just pick up a haunting guise, sorc shoes or a malady if you don't have one already - the damage increase will be much more noticeable (and cheaper).