League of Legends takes more luck than skill

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tejb

09-20-2010

The reason I'm saying this is because it actually does not take any skill to NOT feed as any champion, even as Eve or a first timer. Maybe you won't win every game that you play with a non-feeding Eve, being lucky enough to be able to consistently get allies who don't feed will result in exponentially more wins than being able to personally do well.

7 out of 10 times I lose, it's because of at least 1 person on my team is unable to help themselves from feeding to the point of singlehandedly losing the game for us.

2 out of 10 times are from leavers. Whether they never connect, have to go 15 minutes in, or just rage quit or stay in the fountain because they didn't get mid lane or whatever, this is one of the primary reasons for losing.

Maybe a little over 1 out of 20 defeats are actually close games where both teams go back and forth until the clutch baron steal or Shen ult. Those are the only games when "gg" is actually true for the losing side.

And a little less than 1 out of 20 defeats are from queue dodging AFKers who get a random champion, random abilities, no masteries, and no runes. Either that or PvP.net crashes and naturally wont let me reconnect.

Oh and in case no one's noticed already, feeding on purpose is the most effective way to get out of a game that you don't want to be in. From what I've found so far, and this may not be completely accurate:
Queue dodging is -20 and grants you a leave and a defeat.
Leaving in the middle of a game is -20 + whatever elo you would have lost if you hadn't left, and you receive a leave and a defeat as well.
Going idle in the fountain will only cost a normal defeat, but can take a while for the enemy team to win or for your team to surrender if they need you in order to win.
Feeding on purpose will ensure a quick defeat (almost guaranteed to be under 25 minutes if you do it well) and also doesn't cost anything more than a normal loss

Riot, are you seriously not going to change the fact that you've made intentional feeding less consequential than queue dodging?? Seriously I'd rather have someone queue dodge and make me wait another 20 WHOLE SECONDS than have to spend 40 minutes in game with them while they try to make us lose. Do you guys really consider queue dodging so heinous a crime that it has become worse than purposely causing your team to lose?

I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who loses 90% of his games for feeders or ragers or leavers, but still Riot has done nothing nor shown any intention of fixing this problem

Now before anyone gives any pro tips on how to counter feeders, let me post a few of the most frequent answers that are currently used, and I will show you why they are flawed:

1) "Good players can carry feeders"
My response to this is that, no matter how good you are, especially at high elo, it's physically impossible to carry players who are 0/6/0 before level 6. It's physically impossible to carry players who are 0/21/0, and it's impossible to win against AP Sion's who get 20 stacks before level 10 and outlevel both your and their own mid. To be "good" you also need to have a large amount of luck, in not having these extraordinarily bad players on your own team almost every other game.

A common response to this would be, "Most of the top tier players now are the same players that were top before season 1, you call that luck?"
Yes, there is a lot of luck involved, that's why people are "lucky." Not just because they are fortunate once or twice, but because it happens consistently. Yes, the best players in the world are also probably the top of the charts right now, but once you get THAT high, the number of people

2) "Play carries if your teammates are bad and you need to carry them"
I would love to play a carry if I wasn't forced to roll a tank or some other champion to make up for my team's bad champions. Most of the time when I am able to roll a strong carry, which for me are the most fun to play, it's because I'm first pick and then not one person on my team rolls a champion with any CC or we're missing a tank and/or a jungler.

3) "Play tanks if you don't get good tanks. And a good tank can carry a team"
Yeah since no one knows how to tank, it's usually up to me to do it. Because no one else knows how to play a tank, they also have no clue when to go in or when to run, and naturally they either just suicide before I can even initiate or never go in at all. So then it's me and maybe 1 other ally against the entire enemy team. GG. It's impossible to carry as a tank if your team isn't getting any kills or doing any damage.

4) "Find someone good to dual queue with"
I do quite often dual queue. But the ridiculous good people that I'm friends are almost never open for a normal ranked game, since they all do 5s. Either that or they never seem to be online the same time as me. All of the RL friends that play LoL are too low elo to play with me, and so when I dual queue, most of the time it's just with another pretty good player, not superfantastic. While this is a huge plus, it also means that either a) my team is considerably worse or b) we're facing a better team. And 2 good players still isn't enough to carry a 0/21/0 Fiddlesticks.

So yeah, Riot. It'd be great if you could somehow find a way so that people who just managed to get on a lucky spree and went up 200 elo don't end up playing people who would normally be 400 higher than them.

Just make it so that it incorporates the total number of games played, as well as the win/loss spread, so that there won't be as many people with 20 wins at 1500 elo.

timaxman

09-20-2010

Didn't read. And no.

Tejb

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by timaxman View Post
Didn't read. And no.
lol

Gahiga

09-20-2010

OP sums up lol quite well

oozaboo

09-20-2010

League of Legends is about science.

ShiggleKahn

09-20-2010

No.

MusicJazz

09-20-2010

To get luck you must have skill.

TL;DR btw.

MedicalMechanica

09-20-2010

What you're talking about here is the flaw with playing League of Legends casually. The truth of the matter may be that LoL is meant to be highly competitive and as a result you need to play with the same group of people if you expect a good time.

Also are you the CoD Tejb or an imposter?

Tera8yte

09-20-2010

There are some factors that involve luck, such as your teammates/opponents, which are matched by matchmaking (except matchmaking usually matches teammates/opponents close to your level anyways), and % chance items such as crit chance, dodge chance, and phage. But these are very small (I won't say insignificant) "luck" factors that shouldn't affect your long term win rate by very much.

durpado

09-20-2010

God I really want one of the teenage mutant ninja turtle ice creams. The ones with the gum ball eyes...Ice cream dude never comes around my house anymore.