The New Lore and Why it Isn't Lore

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coulrophobia

1 Week Ago

Let me say first off, that I was a big fan of the original lore so my opinion may be a bit biased (I will try my best to start this discussion from an objective point of view). I will also say that I am a novelist; I'm currently in the middle of an 8 book series, creating a world from scratch, so lore is kinda my thing.

When I first started reading the original lore, I was immediately intrigued as to how the information was given from a story point of view. It was like reading a book where the main focus was on a certain character and how they had interactions with a few others at best as well as how and why they did what they did. It was entertaining, and left the reader wanting more. There may have been some issues with the lore regarding how new champions were introduced that referenced older champs with no knowledge being given of them in the older champ's lore, but that's understandable provided the newer champ wouldn't want to be revealed early (if it wasn't under development in the first place).

When the new lore was labeled as "Destroyed" I didn't quite believe what I read. I didn't think it was possible for the lore team to make bad changes to the lore... but after seeing what was once a full detailed page is now 2-4 lines of text that don't conjoin well to much of anything.

Don't get me wrong, the new lore is informative... to a point, but it lacks something that anyone who gives a damn about lore would truly be looking for: passion. Imagine for a moment you hear your best friend talking to you about their favorite T.V show and they're absolutely love it. They tell you everything you want to hear including who their favorite character is, their least favorite, the plot, the scenes, why the characters in the show are doing what they're doing and how they plan to get it done (hopefully with lack of spoilers in order to get you to want to watch it with them). It may be a bit glorified, but it gets the job done with such amazing detail that you can't help but WANT to watch it. That was the original lore. It had the detail required to get a player interested in playing the champion just by the words on the lore page.

Any new player looking at the changed lore in comparison to the old, enriched, lore would look at the new stuff and go "Is there more? Did I miss something?" (I have a theory about this, more at the end.)

The new lore is made out to be more like a short-answer summary of what you might see a middle-school student turn in for homework when told to write "in at least 2-3 sentences" and only doing the bare minimum. It leaves out the meat; the sustenance that would intrigue the player into that sense of wanting to play the champion described. What Riot currently has for the lore is a bios sheet with mini stats that have very little to do with what lore is supposed to be: culture. The lack of meat in the lore sandwich is lackluster at best ._.

*NOTICE* I do believe that Riot is leaving room open on the pages for further changes to the lore, and I understand completely that it is a good idea to want to flesh out the characters with more enriching lore. I have no doubt in my mind that they will accomplish this EVENTUALLY *End of Notice*

Kurodius

1 Week Ago

As a novelist of an 8 book series, I would expect someone like you to wait until more a more substantial amount of the new lore would be released before making a judgment. We are on part 1 of 3 of a story revolving around one section of the map. The new lore pages for champions relating to Sharima are likely as brief as they are to avoid spoiling the events of this story.

To pass judgment on the current lore seems very much to me like reading the first chapter of book 1, or even just the first few pages of the chapter, and making a judgment about the whole series.

Edit: I wish to retract this response regarding the lack of content to judge the new lore, as I have been enlightened that the new lore could actually include all champion lore and lore events that have occurred since more than a year ago. I checked and no champion all the way back to Zac (and possibly further) has no mention of the Institute of War or the League of Legends. they may have been writing as though the retcon had already occurred for some time now, only having officially announced it recently.

Kuwalda

1 Week Ago

To pass judgement on the current lore seems more like reading a chapter from book 2 of a series. Remember Freljord?

SecretLore

1 Week Ago

It has been already confirmed that these "Lores" are only short summaries for the characters.
They will leave this small introduction in the client and once this event is finished,they will update the Lore on the official site and leave a link in the client under this summary.

So rest assured,these are in no way meant to be the full lores,just a small introduction for each character,they simply don't want to spoil the rest of the shurima event.(although they should have mentioned this in some way before,either in the patch notes or on the lore sites).

leirynot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuwalda View Post
To pass judgement on the current lore seems more like reading a chapter from book 2 of a series. Remember Freljord?
Yes, it sucked even after it was done.

Kuwalda

1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by leirynot View Post
Yes, it sucked even after it was done.
Exactly my point.

Sharjo

1 Week Ago

I don't wanna be that guy, but for the sake of my own sanity, I'm gonna be that guy. Here's the definition of lore:

a body of traditions and knowledge on a subject or held by a particular group, typically passed from person to person by word of mouth.

DariusDemiurge

6 Days Ago

Lore = past

This garbage "event" = present. Also it is bad.

Pinker 10

6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulrophobia View Post
I will also say that I am a novelist; I'm currently in the middle of an 8 book series*
This is what Riot needs for a lore team. The writers that actually make books. The writers for whom the laziness and, let's face it, childishness of a retcon would never even be considered. You wrote yourself into a corner, ok fine. Act like an adult, face your problems, and write your way out of it. Don't act like a child and pretend it doesn't exist and hope it goes away.