Let's Talk: Bilgewater

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TerraRising

09-19-2014

(Note: If Narrative won't come in and start a conversation, I say let's show them how it's done and, maybe, they'll grow the guts to start talking around here!)

It seems that all these major lore events have the following elements:

• One or more reworks of current champions related to the location.
• A major champion that has a strong impact on the region (Elise-Shadow Isles, Lissandra-Freljord, Azir-Shurima)
• Lore rewrites of several champs related to or forced into the location.

So, with that, I present my ideas for the pirate town of Bilgewater:

Major characters:

Gangplank – Without the League of Legends, Gangplank is free to become the True King of All Pirates. Would come with gameplay rework to define the champion (would need to keep the oranges, though, to make it k.)

Miss Fortune – Would be the main nemesis for Gangplank and the upcoming champion. Would come with a gameplay rework to fix her myriad of problems (AP scaling/Physical damage ultimate that adds AD scaling percentage magic damage to an attack speed steroid.)

Associated characters:

• Graves – Was born in Bilgewater.
• Nami – Water-based champion.
• Fizz – Sea-based champion living near Bilgewater.
• Nautilus – Sea-based champion. Could be an ally of the main champion or something everyone in Bilgewater fears.
• Fiddlesticks – Murderous scarecrow built from the timbers of a cursed pirate ship?
• Urf – Just because.
• Jax – Because Rito.

New champion concept:

Blythe, The Adamant Admiral

While children of Bilgewater often hear scary tales of Admiral Blythe before going to sleep, the many pirates of Bilgewater still tell fresh tales of their often deadly encounters with The Adamant Admiral.
Constance Blythe was the Chief Admiral of the original Demacian Armada, a fleet of grand warships commissioned by King Jarvan the First. Unfortunately, a single mistake of hubris and overconfidence caused his original fleet to be destroyed by a coordinated attack by Bilgewater's many pirates, creating the first Pirate King on Runeterra on the process.
However, like much of Runeterra's greatest characters, it was not the end of the story. Blythe's determination to fight for his Demacian ideals keeps bringing the Adamant Admiral back to reality. It remains to be determined if Blythe's version of Demacia ever existed.

Details:

• Blythe is based on the fictional version of William Bligh (Mutiny on the Bounty) and Alonso Pιrez de Guzmαn, the 7th Duke of Medina Sidonia and commander of the Spanish Armada that was destroyed in the 16th century.
• Blythe's default look resembles a Spanish conquistador. Possible skins might include other full dress Naval Officer looks.
• Blythe's ability to return from obvilion could be similar to “El Capitan” from Ducktales or could be the result of a deal with a magically powerful sea creature.

I don't care about game design, so I won't speculate on every ability. However, Blythe's passive could come directly from his lore and would look like:

Dogged Determination (passive): If Blythe is the last champion on a team, his health cannot be reduced to zero until another champion respawns at base. Blythe's AD and ASpd are increased based on the distance between himself and his nexus.

Anyways, I wrote this in an hour and it hasn't gone through more than a spell and grammar checker. I think there's potential here, but I'm not part of Narrative.

GenociderX

09-19-2014

Good job, tbh i think alot of people have more potential them they do. A lot of champs were given life with out a proper story.
Also, would you think that the upcoming champ for Bilgewater would be the same guy from MF's lore?

Cookiehime

09-19-2014

Looks like something Narrative would do.

Hopefully, someone'll show up and share their thoughts.

But let's take this opportunity to reminisce about the old lore a little too.

GP and MF were rivals but never quite enemies. They disagreed about how Bilgewater should be run but kinda-sorta showed some level of respect for one another. Still remember that scene where GP pointed his gun at MF but did not shoot (even though he'd shoot his own men for disagreeing with him, IIRC). And wasn't he the boy who saved her in her judgment?

Just typing this out from memory. Maybe I got some details wrong

LordHippoman

09-19-2014

A Bilgewater event wouldn't be a bad idea. It gets ignored a lot, and Gangplank is one of my first mains and still one of my favorite characters to play because of his crazy build diversity and ability to be played in a lot of positions, especially while lots of new champions are so shoehorned into a certain role (Jinx, Vel'Koz). Plus, nobody plays him, so people don't know how much damage you can do with a Crit Parrley, and it's hilarious to melt ADC's with it.

Ahem. Sorry. Got the Gangplank fever. But yeah, I'd be into a Bilgewater event. I think it's pretty "retcon safe" too, because not much about it is really confirmed or set in stone. I wouldn't want them to change MF or GP much though, because they have a rivalry that's unique in League, where they clash all the time, but you don't really get the sense they'd want to kill one another. Gangplank is just a jerk who killed his dad and his own crew, and MF isn't really the most "noble", but she has the city state's best interests in mind.

Maybe play on them clashing a bit for power in Bilgewater, or perhaps a new enemy from the sea (Naut? Void monsters?) causes them to have to make an uneasy alliance. Oh, and bring back GP's old beard. It was better.

TerraRising

09-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenociderX View Post
Also, would you think that the upcoming champ for Bilgewater would be the same guy from MF's lore?
I thought about it for a second. However, I figured a champion that would change the very essence of the place in question would be a better champ for the story, something akin to Azir and Shurima.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiehime View Post
Looks like something Narrative would do.
Not sure if this is a compliment, lol.

SecretLore

09-19-2014

Overall I think a Bilgewater event could actually put some focus on what lurks in the deep sea.
I mean Fizzs,Nautilus and Namis lores all imply there is some kind of dangerous force in the deep sea(probably some kind of kraken).
Maybe a davy-jones-like character to go with that?(we need 2 pirates to balance out the ninjas)

I think the idea of an admiral is also good,right now there seem to few lawbringers in bilgewater(with MF being basically the only one who tries to bring at least some order)

Shokah

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRising View Post
Not sure if this is a compliment, lol.
Me either, but it certainly shows anyone can use the new 'formula' and create something semi-coherent easily enough.

GenociderX

09-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretLore View Post
Overall I think a Bilgewater event could actually put some focus on what lurks in the deep sea.
I mean Fizzs,Nautilus and Namis lores all imply there is some kind of dangerous force in the deep sea(probably some kind of kraken).
Maybe a davy-jones-like character to go with that?(we need 2 pirates to balance out the ninjas)

I think the idea of an admiral is also good,right now there seem to few lawbringers in bilgewater(with MF being basically the only one who tries to bring at least some order)
I wish they had an update for different factions and regions every week or 2.
The darknes that transformed Naut, The fun place called BilgeWater.
So many possibilities and Riot arent even taking them......Just e-sorts...and a melodramatic theme for it

The Red Warden

09-19-2014

Funny thing is I had finished this character concept the day before finding this post, I really want to learn more about Bilgewater. It seems like an interesting place that could be the start for a whole bunch of stories

Malik, the Badass Admiral
Passive: Lead by Example
If Malik is in combat all allies get a speed boost(20%) while approaching him, this boost is doubled if he is killed or under 25% health. Radius for boost is 1500 units around Halik

Q: Helm splitter Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6 Mana: 40/45/50/55/60
Smashes his axe down on an enemy shredding their armor (25% for 2 seconds) and stunning them for 1 second, is auto attack modifier Does 30/50/70/90/110 damage (100% total ad)

W: Human Catapult Cooldown: 26/24/22/20/18 Mana: 65/75/85/95/105
Throw an ally or yourself (700 throw range), slowing enemies around the point of landing (40% over 1 second)
The launch upon activation has Halik suppress himself for up to 4 seconds in a throwing stance, if an ally clicks on him they will be launched at the direction they chose at within 700 range from the throwing point(1400 in all range), Halik can also choose to launch himself for half the usual range
Passive effect: Every 12/11/10/9/8 seconds your next aa reduces their attack damage by 20% for 1.5 seconds

E: Fire the Cannons! Cooldown: 50/45/40/35/30 Mana: 60/75/90/105/120
Halik fires 2 blasts from the cannon on his back that can land in a 2500 radius but also has a minimum range of 500 The blasts land 1 second after firing (people hit by the initial landing are slowed by 50% for 1 second) and leave a burning/revealing terrain (350 radius) that lasts for 3.5 seconds and does 80/120/160/200/240 (.8ap) magic damage over time.

Ult: Martyrdom Cooldown: 120/110/100 Mana: 100
After selecting one ally you will absorb a large percent (50%, 60%, 70%) of all the damage that would have effected them. The damage you take from this will be affected by your armor and resistances

Shokah

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenociderX View Post
I wish they had an update for different factions and regions every week or 2.
Don't be so "entitled" man, a release date and schedule for lore. PFFT.

(yes, that's a joke. I'm kidding, and yet it's still true.)