Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

When did calling a lane or Instalocking become the normal?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerolisk9

09-10-2012

I dont know ... the title says it all, all every game is now... is who can call the lane they want first, and somehow players consider that acceptable?

and then when 2 people call one thing, its the one who typed it first that gets it??

really in a team game, things like this are destructive... and have no place, but apparently its the standard in league of legends now? pretty unproductive and unfun.

EDIT:
When league first came out... and I was playing it then.. People didnt call lanes and actually tried to work out a comp together... you know teamwork... that thing.

salad milkshake

09-10-2012

I demand mid.
Not to be a ****, but because otherwhise someone is going to call mid, and there's a 98% chance they'll lose.
At least I'll carry.

JunkRamen

09-10-2012

Since the day pre-game chat was invented

JesusPwns0926

09-10-2012

The only time something needs to be called is if you play slightly out of meta like Talon mid or Skarner top.

IMO other than that the person who picks first should get that position and others should pick other positions.

But as we all know, our fellow Summoners arent that respectful and this will never happen.

FlawlessViktory

09-10-2012

I dislike this as well. The way I reason it is that the screen is called CHAMPION SELECT, not CALL a LANE. It's absurd that the first thing someone does is call a lane and not pick a champ that corresponds with that desired lane.

Secretbeef

09-10-2012

Its absurd that people cant see other people so they have 0 respect for another because there is 0 retribution to anything

The day I can punch through a computer will be a glorious one :3 No more rage from anyone because we can duke it out

Falling Stars

09-10-2012

I always saying calling stuff is what a 12 year-old does. It annoys me and everything but sometimes it's better to let those people have what they want, or they'll just try to ruin the game for everyone.

SynO7

09-10-2012

man u know
there is a lot of trolls around here
so say ur lane fast before one troll take
BUT!!!, dont instalock
just do it to avoid trolling
after u call ur lane fast
the u proceed to chat with ur teamates

CBlazer

09-10-2012

Instalocking is troll, but I don't see anything wrong with calling your preferred role. If two people want the same role, then you can talk it out or try something off-meta. Not communicating at all is worse than calling out your preferred position, imho.

Ragebeard Manric

09-10-2012

People who call a lane and refuse to play anything else = *******s
People who call a lane because it's what they're best at = helpful

I mainly play supports in ranked and I'm usually the first person to say what I want to do when champion select starts, but if someone else wants to support (rare) I let them and play something else.

Even the people who are kind of dickish about their lane, well, I generally think its better to just let them have it for the betterment of the game in general. It is probably what they're best at, after all and fighting doesn't help the game.

Do I think it's silly and sometimes childish? Yes, and I wouldn't say its become accepted so much as people just don't think that raising a stink about it is necessary. I'd rather let some ******r get my preferred role than start an argument with him, for which he will promptly AFK or feed and cost me a game. It's just not worth it really, which is unfortunate that it's like that. But I usually get what I want since I play the least favourite roll in the game. People still try to work out a composition in champ select very often, you just need to put some effort into it to get the ball rolling and I sometimes find that it takes a bit of a push before people start talking to each other. There are a lot of games where my teammates openly discuss what they want to do and what they think we need. As a recent example, people saying "Ok I'll go Morg mid if you get Amumu for jungle and we can co-ordinate ults." I'd say the majority of my games at least 3 or 4 people are involved in this, and I always solo queue. I can't say I can make a good comparative observation since I am the way I am and don't know what it's like to be stubborn and rigid, but I feel that being flexible yourself is pretty beneficial to the whole co-operation of teammates because at the very least I know that I wont be starting fights over the roles I want, since I am willing to let everyone else decide what they want to do first.