How do I counter Diana mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luxiere

09-10-2012

Well, I've played against a lot of mid lane champions, and the most the frustrating enemy I had to face was Diana. How do you even counter her?

I really do try to dodge her Q's, I dodge 6 of them out of 10. But what's really tiring is that even if I harass her, it doesn't do much since she's really tanky. Plus that shield too. So in the end, if she gets to hit me once with her Q, she ults towards me and do her standard combo. I'm dead.

Which champions are best on countering her? I'm a fan of nuker champions such as Cassio, LeBlanc, Kassadin, etc. Should I change my preference if I'm against a Diana?

Also, how's Ryze against her?

Resent

09-10-2012

Heimerdinger is actually the best hard counter to Diana right now, but he's not the best pick for the current meta in general. Diana has to get close, and if she jumps on Heimer, that's an instant stun and turrets will agro and just destroy her.

Ryze is okay against her, but when you play as Ryze, you generally have to play careful anyways. He's weaker early game and that can be a potential problem, as his only escape from Diana is a single snare, and if he is far enough out of position, and she uses her jump twice, it may be gg for Ryze.

A strong pick I've seen is Mordekaiser against Diana, he has really strong early harass, and that's hard for Diana to go against. However, she will gain an advantage later on, as her spells will outdamage his if they are completely equal.

Swain is a decent pick, because he can sustain a decent amount of damage. Diana shouldn't be a problem for Swain, simply because if she jumps him, he can just snare at the ground, turn on his ult and hit his other spells and walk out of it unscathed.

Hope this helps!

CapriciousXII

09-10-2012

havent tried this myself yet but in theory i believe it works since hes picked to counter most mages in mid anyway

galio is a solid mid, and great initiator
he counters many mids because he can stack MR without hurting his damage output
his melee range wont particularly hurt him in this matchup because diana is melee as well

that being said I assume more people dont choose him is because they either dont play him or because hes more of a counterpick than a safe mid choice because if you pick him before the other team chooses their mid than it opens up unorthodox ad mids such as talon, wukong or riven.

Ouroborous HD

09-10-2012

just saying now dont pick a burst ap champ. ive playerd diana mid quite frequently and the bursty ones will be a threat until around lvl 7 when your burst starts to equal theirs relatively.

(I subtract any damage they do to the shield making that the damage they actually do and thats why your burst will eventually win)

NegaStoat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-10-2012

Eve won't outright counter Diana in solo mid, but Eve has an interesting feature of simply having more mana to use over Diana for that early game. Easily. From what I've seen, patient players can put Diana in a bad place of lower resources and gain superior lane presence in short order. I'm not saying it will outright win the lane, but it's really easy for Diana players to underestimate this and end up paying for it.

Russian Sm0ka

09-10-2012

I always try to counter Diana with evelynn. It's unorthodox to say the least but once ult is up its gg. To play eve mid you do need a lot of patience as stated. She has a great passive for mana once you build a phili stone asap and I stack AP runes so hatespammig her Q is unhealthy for everyone. Lure Diana to chase you, pop w and run to turret. If Diana is unskilled she'll chase while you hate spam Q, then when she retreats chase and pop e while facesmashing q more. Win.

doombotMECHA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-10-2012

galio is actually the most obvious counter.......like leblanc or fizz or kass, if she can't 1-combo you, she's pretty much done for.

fighting rabbit

09-11-2012

except she is tank and can stick around to fight.
I was fighting her yesterday as orianna. i had just come back into lane from an early shop because we had both left each other with low health. i bought a chalice of harmony for the mana reg and magic resist. she had come back to lane before me and push my minions close to my turret. i was lvl 6 and she was lvl 7. she got in range of her q and shot at me and missed but instantly followed it up with her ult. she came into turret range. i popped my q-w-r on her and it pulled her back into to turret range. after all that was said and done. for just her ult and possibly her shield i sat at just about 3/4 health. she sat at a little over half health and she took atleast 3 turrets on top of my abilites and walked away with a little over half health. all she had was boots lvl1 and a ruby.

i had the higher health percentage but she had a higher amount of health left then i did. if she had hit her q then i probably would have died and she would have walked away with more health. just wondering if anyone else thinks she is a little bit to tanky for what she can do.

Nightdancer ND

09-11-2012

Best way to counter her is not to get hit by her Q.
a) be mobile or good at dodging skill shots
b) choose a hero that don't have to be in her range very often (Zyra, Gragas, Malz, Lux)

Ootter

09-11-2012

I have little problem with diana as ahri or swain. Somethings i do a lot when up against diana:
1) Dont stand with your minions, early game she wont be able to last hit minions and harass you if you don't stand with minions, keep moving side to side and watch for her to come forward.
2) Watch for her shield, if she shields and moves forward she will most likely jump to ya.
3) Ward up them bushes, she is pretty good at coming out of them bushes guns blazing, and jumping right on top of ya.
4) Harass as much as possible, keep her from last hitting unless its with a spell she will run out of mana sooner or later.

With swain you will win once you get 6. Early just keep around minions and wait for her to move forward to get cs, and e+q her. It does a lot of damage and it will keep her from coming forward to much. As she is running around minions try catching her with a w+e+q or e+q+w combo. But once your 6 bully her around. She is tanky but with ulti and a pack of minions your sustain is much better than her shield.

With ahri i just keep moving around. Her mobility is pretty good that i don't find myself getting harassed much. All of ahri's attacks have the range of diana's q so you should be able to harass a lot better as she tries cs. Ahri's ulti will allow her to run from diana no problem. At the very least with ahri you shouldn't be getting killed. When diana tries to come up on you charm and combo on her and then back off. After a couple blast to the face she will stop trying to get to you. Honestly i find her to be an easier Akalia in mid.