Pre-Release Client

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

piltdownman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2010

Riot should pre-release a non-functional version of the mac client. Mac users would download the client now and then update to a functional version when it was released, reducing the bandwidth spike on the release day.

JudoPunch

09-20-2010

No because if it proves to be unstable it could ruin a large number of live games, for a large number of other players.

piltdownman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2010

The key part of my idea was that it would be non-functional. It would only be activated upon release of the mac version. I don't really see how letting people get a head start on downloading would ruin live games. Am I missing something?

xKoBiEx

Recruiter

09-20-2010

You are asking Riot to program another artificial "firewall" with a trigger. That is going to delay an actual release even more. If changes need to be made, another version is released. Pre-release is only for commercial software....not for online games like this that get updated every couple days.

piltdownman

09-20-2010

Okay my bad, maybe pre-release was the wrong terminology. I was just thinking something like: take a working build of the beta mac client, split it into parts but hold back one fraction of it so it is unusable. On release day make the final part available for download and let the client update as normal. I doubt that sort of think would take all too much time and it would reduce the load when the mac version finally dropped because many users would have already downloaded the majority of the client.

Rad1987

09-20-2010

Patience is a virtue, young grass hoppa

piltdownman

09-20-2010

I know. Its hard to be virtuous though. The idea of being able to play lol again has me obsessing over it....