Udyr not on par with jungle xin and olaf?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flurry

09-20-2010

I have bought udyr and read a lof of guides and tried a lot of builds and then decided to go jungle/tank udyr. This works quite well in most games but in every game in which there is an olaf i see how big of a gape between these chars there is although they both play the same roles: jungler, chaser, dps, offtank

how come udyr is not as strong as olaf is? i know there have been some nervs to udyr some time ago but why was he nerved when olaf and xin are better then him? Im not an udyr pro but i think if got the feel to this char, but still he does not seem to be on par with olaf.

adren

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flurry View Post
I have bought udyr and read a lof of guides and tried a lot of builds and then decided to go jungle/tank udyr. This works quite well in most games but in every game in which there is an olaf i see how big of a gape between these chars there is although they both play the same roles: jungler, chaser, dps, offtank

how come udyr is not as strong as olaf is? i know there have been some nervs to udyr some time ago but why was he nerved when olaf and xin are better then him? Im not an udyr pro but i think if got the feel to this char, but still he does not seem to be on par with olaf.
He's got issues if you're trying to play him as a Jungle/DPS, unfortunately. On SR, gank attempts for Udyr are few and far between. With his lack of solid approach, you're either going to be working in tandem with your teammates for those out-of-the-jungle gank attempts during laning (Unless the opponent sucks), or you're not ganking at all. You can do the same thing building him Tanky, and Udyr scales more quickly into a Tank build for that palpable mid-game soak.

Jungle/DPS/Tiger would be good for 1v1, but as it stands, it's not doing more damage than the other Melee DPS characters. This makes it hard to justify playing such an abysmal early/mid game. Though you'll steamroll if you get your build up.

One specific problem of Tiger Udyr versus Olaf is Ragnarok. Ragnarok reduces Udyr's auto-attack by 75/135/195, on top of Phoenix, Tiger and Lizard procs, if you've got them going. It can make a world of difference when you've got to commit. You essentially can't unless Olaf's on a huge life disadvantage or he's got it on cooldown and you need the item lead, because Turtle won't stop True Damage and you don't have the burst to take down and Olaf before he starts his Norwegian Pain Train (Sounds a bit kinky...) thanks to his Vamp and IAS passive.

This all changes on TT, where there's ganks and jungle aplenty within Man-Bear-arm's reach... but on SR, it's widely considered a bad idea to play Udyr to fill anything but that Jungle/Tank role. Even then, Amumu is preferable. :\

Udyr jungles very well, though. He's also majorly durable to in-jungle gankings. Tank Udyr plays the role of Gank-Assist just fine and dandy, too. As a DPS, there's a few better options (Like Xin, etc). If you've got the item lead your Armor/MagRes + Turtle Shield will absorb tower-shots/ults/burst/gank-attempts en masse.

In the end, Tank Udyr can't 1v1 anything but squishies. DPS Udyr can't 1v1 versus the better 1v1s at close range. You have to pick your role and battles, unfortunately.

Lance Eliot

09-20-2010

No **** a jungling tank doesn't have as much gank potential as a jungle dps.

Udyr doesn't really shine until mid/late game.

Eppa

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyallEverard View Post

Since the shaco nerf Udyr is the best jungle ganker pre6.

DepTii

09-20-2010

Rammus with Powerball and Taunt makes a pretty good ganker. Obviously, you want to have the person in the lane get the kill, but still.

SethCypher

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyallEverard View Post

The fact that a tank CAN jungle is quite frightening, really, it seriously is.

Lance Eliot

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethCypher View Post
The fact that a tank CAN jungle is quite frightening, really, it seriously is.
Amumu says hai.

7Envy

09-20-2010

www.youtube.com/Se7enEnvy Sion jungle anyone?
Tones of jungling guides.

Flurry

09-20-2010

wow 6 sposts and only 1 adressed the subject of this thread ^^ omg talking about rammus and stuff but this is about why udyr isnt on par with olaf and if anyone else thinks about it the same way and oh one of the best players of this game in US "Lilballs" plays udyr and olaf tank/jungler so it is possible to play them near par but i just dont get how ^^