Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Do spanish speakers get punishment?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OckyFlam

09-10-2012

Can't speak spanish, but google translate is pretty good these days.

PWnZorK

09-11-2012

Well I'm from Argentina, so I understand spanish perfectly, don't worry gringos.. loljk. (about gringos)

Túnica negra

09-11-2012

As some of the people who already posted, I'm a Spanish speaker and I make no distinction whatsoever when the need to report someone arises. So, answering: Yeah, Spanish speakers get reported and punished for the same reasons than anyone else.

Gonzodamus

09-11-2012

Quote:
PlaytoWinForEver:

Ok so you know they are talking about you... Explain it in the comment section!!

I once played with a couple of Spanish speakers (Spanish is my first language), and they wouldn't stop berating and complaining about their teammates in Spanish. I politely asked them to stop, since they didn't stop, I reported them at the very end of them game and gave some a very clear cut explanation with a few translations so people in the tribunal could evaluate the case.

This is exactly what needs to happen. I'm not going to try and judge a case based on an auto translated chatlog - that wouldn't be fair. If you give some context to what's being said, I can judge for myself much more easily.

Ladayen

09-11-2012

Yeah I dont encourage using a translator. They can be horribly inaccurate sometimes. If you dont understand the language just skip it.

PlaytoWinForEver

09-11-2012

Quote:
PWnZorK:
Well I'm from Argentina, so I understand spanish perfectly, don't worry gringos.. loljk. (about gringos)

I don't think "gringos" know that's a slightly pejorative term for them. At least from our point of view. It is funny because we know it but they don't (for the most part). BTW, it is not a big insult either... it is just like calling someone an "alien" or something like that. It has a slight perojative connotation but nothing really worth getting upset about.

ArmoredDragonIMO

09-11-2012

Quote:
PWnZorK:

I thought gringo (which doesn't bother me at all btw, in fact I don't even know of anybody who takes offense to it) was just a mexican word, and that the rest of south america (and non-american hispanic countries) refer to us in the slang term as yankees?

TenienDaithen

09-11-2012

Quote:
PlaytoWinForEver:
I don't think "gringos" know that's a slightly pejorative term for them. At least from our point of view. It is funny because we know it but they don't (for the most part). BTW, it is not a big insult either... it is just like calling someone an "alien" or something like that. It has a slight perojative connotation but nothing really worth getting upset about.

Spanish is pretty common in the united states. I don't know if I've met anyone that doesn't realize gringo is pejorative.

Although, region, exposure and observation do play a part in that understanding. Someone might visit Hawaii and not realize what the word haole is. Or maybe the word gaijin from Japan.

But obviously, I don't know and speak to everyone so there may be those that don't realize.