Do spanish speakers get punishment?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArmoredDragonIMO

09-09-2012

I've had many games where people who speak spanish will talk **** about me amongst one another (I think sometimes because they think I can't understand their language, even though I can't speak it particularly well.)

Does the tribunal handle these given that most of them probably don't understand spanish, and therefore may not know what is being said?

I've had things ranging from yankee *sshole to motherf*cker.

TenienDaithen

09-09-2012

I doubt anyone on here, other than a red, could tell you a punish rate for Spanish speakers. I do know I have seen them in the tribunal, though I usually skip them because my Spanish is terrible. I know there are multilingual people who take part and post on the forums, but none of what I have written really answers your question. For that I apologize.

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2012

I've seen many, and I know what they say, so yes, they do

ZerglingsForZion

09-09-2012

I run other languages through translate programs when I get them. Most of the time it's pretty clear cut if they are making nasty comments about people. Best thing as a reporter you can do is give the tribunal people an idea of the language and what is being said, especially if the comment is seemingly nonsensical if directly translated.

ArmoredDragonIMO

09-09-2012

Some things really don't translate well, particularly idiomatic expressions. Take for example, in english we might say "without rhyme or reason." In spanish they'll say "sin que ni para que" which if you translate literally would say "without what nor for what" which to an english speaker would make no sense at all. Or in english we say "costs an arm and a leg" and in spanish they say "costa un ojo de la cara" (costs an eye of the face.)

Granted a lot of translation software will correctly translate common ones like these, the less common ones are completely lost in translation, except to a fluent speaker.

Also some things will translate wrong if they don't use the accent properly, because the software won't interpret the context. For example, sí means yes, and si means if.

Pulsefire EzreaI

09-09-2012

I've seen them before and I can understand Spanish very well.

Yeah, I punish them.

Supified

09-10-2012

I noticed this too. I had a spanish speaker comment on my contribution to the game, granted the score clearly showed theirs was worse. People seem to be willing to be nastier when they think the intended victim won't understand them. I called them out on it, but didn't report. Frankly it was just one comment and calling them out on it made it stop.

I wonder though if it's entirely realistic that they would get punished as much as deserved.

PlaytoWinForEver

09-10-2012

You are supposed to skip them if you don't understand them, so other people who do understand them can judge them

If you (and noone else can) understand them, well they are not really being offensive towards you. Basically if you CAN'T understand that they are being offensive... well you can't take offense. If ANYONE can understand them, that person can report them.

In those cases, the person that DOES understand them can give a explaination in the comment section on why they think what the Spanish speakers said was offensive/abusive.

Taken from your post:
people who speak spanish will talk **** about me

Ok so you know they are talking about you... Explain it in the comment section!!

I once played with a couple of Spanish speakers (Spanish is my first language), and they wouldn't stop berating and complaining about their teammates in Spanish. I politely asked them to stop, since they didn't stop, I reported them at the very end of them game and gave some a very clear cut explanation with a few translations so people in the tribunal could evaluate the case.

rvzillmer

09-10-2012

It'd be interesting to see if Riot could somehow fit Google translate into the Tribunal. We can do it ourselves, but it isn't as convenient.

LawGiver500

09-10-2012

A good number people can read Spanish. So yes they do get punished and some do come to the forums from time to time acting confused.