Riot; I challenge you to make a better skin for Udyr than Primal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Boyahda

07-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot DudeBro View Post
I personally nuked that from space
Fair enough.

Foonakie

07-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
I'm wondering this too. I mean, it's a very good skin, the particles and models look amazing ,etc.

But it's quite literally 'Udyr, if we made him today.'

Basically the only thing unique about this skin is the max level model change.
This has been my "complaint" since I first saw him.

Yggtalem

07-06-2013

lets get some perspective here, SGU has a TON more features than PFE and is well deserving of its ultimate status. If they were making udyr today the overall direction would be similar to SGU but i doubt the polish would be quite the same

Foonakie

07-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggtalem View Post
lets get some perspective here, SGU has a TON more features than PFE and is well deserving of its ultimate status. If they were making udyr today the overall direction would be similar to SGU but i doubt the polish would be quite the same
That's no different of an argument then saying Udyr has way more features then Ezreal. This is suppose to be a moment here, Udyr of all champions FINALLY gets a new a skin and all it turns out to be is more of the exact same thing. It literally makes his Primal skin look bad... SPU and Primal are the SAME skin, but SPU is just waaaay better. It is more money, but the idea is STILL the same.

Do people seriously not understand what an idea is?

WHY make Udyr's ultimate skin just a rehash of his previous ones?
WHY not make it something interesting like PFE?

PFE is a different fantasy from normal Ezreal.
Regular EZ is an archeologist who can shoot beams from his hand and can magically teleport, cool.
PFE is a cyborg who evolves over the match who shoots beams from his arm CANNON and uses technology to teleport.

SPU is not a different fantasy from normal Udyr.
Regular Udyr is a monk who is one with nature and can turn into 4 different animals, Tiger, Bear, Turtle, Phoenix. Cool, great fantasy.
SPU is a monk who is even more in tune with nature and can turn into 4 different animals, Tiger, Bear, Turtle, Phoenix. um....what? That's the same thing though.

Other references to legendary skins.
Olaf, berserker who can hurl his axe and chase people down and lighting bolt them to death. Berserker fantasy.
Brolaf, beer drinking frat berserk who hurls craggy ice axe. So different from regular Olaf, but that's what the fun draw is!

Cho'gath, a monster who can hurl spikes and bite people, can also shoot spikes up from the ground and scream. Cool, alrighty!
Battle Cast Cho, a giant mech-bot that uses sound waves instead of spikes and explosives from the ground to knock kids up, super cool and out of left field, I like it!

tl;dr: SPU is MORE OF THE SAME. The fantasy of his ultimate skin is NO different then his original skin. Do you want to be an animal swapping monk or a super duper animal swapping monk?

Can I get red post about this? I hate being ignored when I feel like I present a good argument.

Zyorhist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelynn Butt View Post
One of the weirdest things I see on game forums is people who think that the final version that they see is the single thing that has been worked on ever since the project was started. It's like they think everything in the world is done like the essays they did in high school - one take, no breaks, no editing or proofreading or revisions.

Its almost like they think that a game comes out on the fly, however they decide they want to do it at that particular moment, not taking into the larger view.

IS1d6d3ffc5d25bf1bdf6f0

07-06-2013

Quote:
PFE is a different fantasy from normal Ezreal.
Regular EZ is an archeologist who can shoot beams from his hand and can magically teleport, cool.
PFE is a cyborg who evolves over the match who shoots beams from his arm CANNON and uses technology to teleport.
Except they're both just snarky blonde kids with fancy gear that lets them shoot lasers with their hand.

It's not a new fantasy. It's a slight theme tweak (read: the words "magic glove" replaced with "hi-tech suit" and pretty much nothing else) and a new set of clothes.

In the same way that SGU trades animal based martial arts and hats for new arms and ghosts.

exe3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2013

I can't stop thinking 'Stargate Universe' whenever someone says 'SGU'. 0_o

DeePok

07-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot DudeBro View Post
it's 13 models(including the spirit animals and the special guest for the joke)
What/Who is the special guest for the joke?

JebusofChrist

07-06-2013

Dear Rioto DudeBro,

I just want to briefly say thanks for your effort in making this skin (along with everyone else who worked on it), I'll be buying it as soon as it comes out on my main account in Oceania. Udyr was my first jungler I used and I absolutely love this skin, and I'm looking forward to insta-locking Udyr in the next few months.

Thanks, ily all~

PS: I love the prayer beads, even though I'm not remotely religious.

An Upset Zombie

07-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS1d6d3ffc5d25bf1bdf6f0 View Post
Except they're both just snarky blonde kids with fancy gear that lets them shoot lasers with their hand.

It's not a new fantasy. It's a slight theme tweak (read: the words "magic glove" replaced with "hi-tech suit" and pretty much nothing else) and a new set of clothes.

In the same way that SGU trades animal based martial arts and hats for new arms and ghosts.
All of PFEs spells and sound, look and sound different from his original look. He LOOKS like a different Ezreal, an Ezreal from the future, Jetpack and all.

SGU? Sort of just looks like a visual upgrade for Udyr. His Stances still make the same sounds, sure there's a special spell effect that pops up, but it's still a bear, a tiger, a turtle and a pheonix.

The OP challenged Riot to make a skin for Udyr that wasn't like Primal Udyr, and quite frankly this wasn't different enough.

Don't get me wrong, the skin itself LOOKS amazing. But it's not an ultimate skin. I guess by Riots logic, we wont be seeing many Udyr skins in the future because of "all the work" needed to make his skins look worthwhile (At least 4 models, special spell effects for each model, etc) without overpricing it.

Udyrs base model is absolutely crappy, and this could have been a really, really pleasant surprise for a VU. But of course, it's not.