Why malady is bad & how to make it better.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1337SuperNewb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-19-2010

Most of us agree that malady is bad & mindlessly say that stark's is superior in every way, but it's not. It's simply that in any situation that you would want a malady, stark's is better. Let me elaborate: someone in another thread was saying how malady was nice to have since his team had lots of casters who wouldn't benefit from the attackspeed and lifesteal aura on stark's-> http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=255458, but it was simply better than stark's in this situation. It wasn't a good item to get; a LW (in this situation unapplicable since he already had one) or a BF sword was. They are both better options, depending on what you need, while being of equal costs. They will both likely give a far more substantial boost to DPS than malady and while they are lacking in lifesteal, the BF sword can easily be turned into a bloodthirster.

Malady also gives you magical damage, and if you're not grabbing starks it means that your team already has plenty of that. The BF sword and LW on the other hand, both give you a much larger increase to your physical damage.

Lastly, it is one of the only items in the game with what I would like to dub "reverse synergy": it gives you lifesteal and a unique passive that is not effected by lifesteal since it is magical damage.

So, how do we fix this?

I have a couple of suggestions, listed in order of how much I like them (I would recommend only applying one of these changes):

1. Change the magical damage to pure damage. This would make it an effective armor/MR stacking counter. It would be situational, but if you remembered to use it when appropriate, it would be lethal.

2. Change the unique passive to deal both up to 30 magic damage/hit to the enemy and heal the attacker for 30. This would make it a more effective item for teams with large numbers of physical DPS. (with this change, I would recommend the removal of the lifesteal passive.)

I'm open to suggestions & feedback, but I think that one of these two buffs would make the item much more useful.

Sir Mavs

09-19-2010

-Reserved
-Reading, will edit later.

Edit: Yep I agree with you.

JayceJa

09-19-2010

30 magic damage a hit, even with a last whisper, not significantly less than the 50 damage on BFSword
the malady is also well worth it purely for the stats, being more than cost effective for the lifesteal and attack speed
50% attack speed and 30 magic damage is significantly higher output than the damage from BFSword, and while last whisper does better dps, it has no lifesteal, as for upgrading to a bloodthirster, for between 60-100 damage and 15-25% lifesteal; which you often wont keep it maxed since you dont have time to farm late game, and everyone dies from time to time
In any case, malady is significantly better early, can be gotten earlier due to smaller pieces, and this early game help means more kills more gold and better late game items

and inventory space is not a valid argument since its very rare for a game to go long enough to have 5 full items and boots, and then enough money to want to replace malady

the reverse synergy is the only real valid point you have made

Saybel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2010

malady is a great item and very good for its cost i wouldnt change a thing if anything id get both malady and starks later on

BeerManMike

09-21-2010

Pure damage? Pantheon gets eaten alive by it already...

Lameador

09-21-2010

Well I buy Malady on 2 chars : Teemo and Twitch. This preserves stealth, and Teemo needs lots of AS.

Anyways, you proposition 1 is very good, it would make Malady a poor man's anti-tank item.

We shouldn't buff it too much, because malady's problem comes from its similitude to a "self only" starks more than anything else

randomJer

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayceJa View Post
and inventory space is not a valid argument since its very rare for a game to go long enough to have 5 full items and boots, and then enough money to want to replace malady
inventory space is always important.

JayceJa

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomJer View Post
inventory space is always important.
sometimes, but it is a much lesser factor than the fact malady is a better early game item which gives you a great advantage throughout the game if used properly

most games finish well before it becomes a concern unless you build items with lots of components without combining the individual bits first, in regular games the only ever inventory space is when i cant fit the last component of my 3rd or 4th item in my inventory before finishing it, which is generally a few minutes of losing out on the smallest component item