Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Suggestion to deter trolling

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scrutape

09-08-2012

Hey everybody,

Previously in ranked queue, if you dodged, you would lose ELO. Now, while the ELO loss is removed, players are prevented from playing for a full 30+ minutes.

I want to address an important problem with this system: it heavily promotes players looking to troll, as they have little to no deterrent.

Here's a quick example scenario:

A player joins ranked queue, instant bans 3 champs rarely picked without considering team chat, insta locks their champ, picks revive smite, and says "alright, imma go an do something else now, just gonna check in to make sure I don't get flagged for dc, but seeya."

Now, we can't get a new player to fill that now vacant spot, so it's 4v5, odds are overwhelmingly against us, we'll likely lose.

1) if somebody dodges queue, they can't play for 30 minutes. Trolling player succeeded at making somebody feel crappy. Nobody can report him cause game hasn't occurred. He requeues and repeats. Troll wins.

2) We play game, 4v5 game, can't surrender for twenty minutes. If I don't feel like playing a 4v5 match, I still can't leave or I'LL get flagged. As expected, we lose. 4 non-trolling players lose ELO, AND 20+ minutes of their time. Troll wins.

In scenario 2, we CAN report the trolling player, but how many reports until its reviewed? And what if he just changes his behavior for a month to try and clean his slate, then repeats? That would probably fit into the goal anyway: get some elo back while keeping a clean slate, then harass again.

Also, how many people just outright LEAVE immediately after the loss from frustration, and forget to report?

There's gotta be a better solution. My suggestion: champ select reporting. If 4 outta 5 people report somebody, that player kicked for a short amount of time, unable to requeue. If that player gets a certain number of kicks, case is brought into tribunal. Chat log, bans (if captain) and champ/summoner spell selection shown. Let community decide.

I don't want people with creative ideas for champ playstyles or builds to get banned, that's part of the fun of league. That's why chat log would play a massive role here.

Just my thoughts. Not fun to feel put between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks.

LawGiver500

09-08-2012

The Overwhelming vote to kick Idea has been brought up. At this ppoint Riot has yet to implement an effective means to deter players that disrupt game play in pre-game. At this time there is a way to report a person for disrupting the game in pre- and post game chat this requires a player to take a screen shot of the disruptive player's actions and e-mial it to Riot support with a description of what happened.

Though vote to kick is not a bad idea there are some factors that should be taken into account before implementing it. I.E. how abused will the function be and how to deter the abuse of the function.

Kinvaras666

09-08-2012

from my experience, vote kicks never work as intended.

that's for a few reasons, but I never seen one game succeed with those.

People are always so eager to "DEMAND" solution to the problem that they never consider the consequences.

The no elo penalty for dodge was the same. People kept crying and crying over it, until riot made it. and now people are crying because riot made it, and trolls wins again.

There is no simply way out, and no suggestions, no matter how good they are, will solve any problems, if the players themselves doesn't change the way they are.

Changing things or not may only increase or decrease slightly how much of frustration the grifers can cause, but never solve the problem.

Void2258

09-08-2012

There is a simple way to control the issue though: if the tribunal judges that the kick was undeserved, the 4 players who voted to kick get the ban instead. What this means is you only vote to kick the player if they are really doing something bad, because doing it for any other reason gets you in trouble instead.

mambawarrior

09-08-2012

Pick Darius, He's OP.
OMG Y U NO PICK DARIUS
KICK

Pick Soraka and heal me a bunch

OMG NOT SONA.
KICK

I want top.
No, I want top, and I'm premade.
But I'm first pick and calle-
KICK

onihero

09-09-2012

Well, if 4 people dont want you there, they should not be forced to play with you.

No penalty to anyone, just stick you with 4 other people and hopefully they want you to play with them.

If you consistently find that you are getting kicked, you may want to review what it is you are doing, or explain your reasoning better.

Whats the problem?

magooomba

09-09-2012

Quote:
onihero:
Well, if 4 people dont want you there, they should not be forced to play with you.

No penalty to anyone, just stick you with 4 other people and hopefully they want you to play with them.

If you consistently find that you are getting kicked, you may want to review what it is you are doing, or explain your reasoning better.

Whats the problem?

Just curious if you believe that same philosophy applies to, say, downvotes on this forum. On one hand, someone such as yourself who constantly makes posts that are significantly downvoted should "review what it is you are doing, or explain your reasoning better" so as to avoid downvotes.

On the other hand, if you claim that it's merely "trolls" downvoting you because you make too much sense, are far smarter than other here, or whatever hilarious reasoning you feel applies to you, the system is subject to substantial abuse.

You're arguing in support of majority opinion, the same philosophy that the voting system follows.

And no, I'm obviously not expecting a reasoned response to this. Feel free to turn it around all you like.

TenienDaithen

09-09-2012

While I am not against the votekick idea, it does take time to implement change, especially if one wants well thought out effective change. For now, one person can take the hit by dodging and sending a report with screenshot to riot while the other people get out of queue for a minute or two to avoid the troll that remains.

4v5 sucks but can work. I played a low level game (I know that is different than a lvl 30 ranked game) that we almost won 3v5. The respawn timer won that game... well, that and the relative ease that a team can split push when they have the number advantage.

coolshanth94

09-10-2012

Thats only one part of the problem

Another part is that it lets you choose who you want to play with, and this consequence would be overwhelming at high elo's, where there are but a few players

Trollbunalist

09-10-2012

I eagerly await the day when they allow vote-kicking so I can get together in a 4-man troll premade and spend hours baiting people into raging, then booting them.