Does a Good/Bad Support Make or Break your ADC?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aureline

09-21-2012

Yep, as of right now, I am competent in every role. When I play with my usual premade, the process of selecting who goes where turns more into one person feels strongly about wanting to play one role in a game, and the rest of us just sorta filter in.

But, back to the topic.

Is it the support's responsibility to ward buffs? I know to ward river bush, or the intersection by baron and the enemy jungle (for blue) but it was my understanding that jungler should be warding the major buffs.

Also, does support ward baron, or does jungler? I usually grab one or two every time I go back and pop 'em down somewhere.

ChiUnit4evr

09-21-2012

I would say that, in the laning phase, it's the jungler's job to ward their own buffs, and each lane should ward for themselves (mid in the river bushes and top outside of the river bush.)

When it comes to teamfight time, everyone should still be buying wards, but the ward placement simply changes. What would be best is if everyone was simply aware of the baron ward and, when it came time for it, whoever was closest warded. But as this isn't premade 5 and buying wards seems to be beneath most normal players, it will usually end up falling to the support to do. I say, if you see that it isn't happening, take it upon yourself to do it.

Aureline

09-21-2012

Hah! It's only 75 gold to save a life.

ChiUnit4evr

09-21-2012

It's amazing what halfway decent warding can do :P Whenever I play ADC, I make sure we have wards. If my supports not getting them, I'll get them myself. As for jungle, I'm not amazing at placing jungle wards yet, usually I'll leave it alone unless I'm playing against someone who is VERY good at counterjungling.

Aureline

09-21-2012

If the adc 100% absolutely flops it, like, 0/7/0 by 20 minutes, or something, can the support build for damage and take over the lane? Depending on the support champ, of course.

Or do we keep plugging at getting that carry some late-game usability?

EDIT: Wrote "support" instead of "adc" the first time, on accident!

ChiUnit4evr

09-21-2012

Hmmm generally speaking if the support is already that far behind, the best thing they can do is make sure they build for utility. I'd argue that if a support is 7 deaths by 20 minutes, the will be far too far behind to be effective for damage. That means that their CC and utility becomes all the more important.

For example, a squishy blitzcrank isn't going to tank well, so the best thing he can do is land his pulls, knockups and silences.

Aureline

09-21-2012

I .. noobed. I meant if the adc failed, not the support.

Will edit the offending post! Bad Aure!

ChiUnit4evr

09-21-2012

ohhh hahahaha.

No worries. Hmm that's a tougher question. I suppose it depends on a lot of things. One big thing people don't realize is that after a certain point, the amount of gold the opposing team gets for killing you becomes so low that it's more worthwhile to focus on farming. So if the ADC has fed 7 kills (And presumably given up one tower at this point), the best thing they can do is sit back at their most forward tower and farm to try and catch up.

As far as a support taking over the lane, that gets a bit trickier and depends more on the support IMO. Lulu can put out a fair bit of AP damage so it might be viable, but it won't always make up for the lack of an ADC. Meanwhile Soraka isn't going to put out nearly enough damage to make up for an ADC so I would say that in most cases, it's not worth it, but it shouldn't be completely ignored.

karshstorm

09-21-2012

I wanna talk about bad adc's that dont know that a support does have a cd on the heal/stun and keep charging in and dont bother to avoid the enemy skill shots then turn and complain cause the support is useless i see adc's that dont know how to work with there supports more than i see bad supports. I play sona and soraka when im asked to support and more times then not am stuck with an adc that plays stupidly and expects that i can keep him alive thru all and when i explian that the heal has a cd im called a nub. that is why nobody likes supporting if you do well in feeding your adc he still gets all the credit well they wont fail to pick on you if your ward runs out just before an enemy gank if you miss an 1 ult out of the whole game you suck if your ult is on cd you suck wile the adc gets to run around saying look how great i am. you guys that main adc should at least learn the cd's and capability's of your supports. ADC's not all but the majority are egotistical and tend to think they are better than everyone else on the team and its usually the exact opposite

Sam Is Whoa

09-21-2012

Bad support ABSOLUTELY makes bad bot lanes. Makes it harder to CS and harder to stay alive cause your support is either not warding or taking cs or feeding. Communication is key bad supports dont do that. You can not win with a bad support unless the other team is inept. A good support however doesnt mean a win.

A support is more important to the ADC then the ADC is to the support. bad ADC good support cant win any phase of the game, Good ADC bad support can hold his own unless the support totally feeds, until late game. But a bad support will ruin your lane phase and take the jungler away from ganking mid and top ultimately making you lose other lanes.

TLDR bad support ruins games, Bad ADC ruins lane