Does a Good/Bad Support Make or Break your ADC?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

K4jove

09-08-2012

A good support can win the games, if he feed the adc and ward everywhere.

A bad support can lose a game, if he feed the enemy adc and doesnt ward.

WickaWicka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-08-2012

I feel like the difference between a bad support and a good support for me is that with a bad support, the lane will often end in stalemate or me farming underneath my turret. A good support will do something in order to shift the power back on our side (like the dreaded flash stun ult shatter with Taric, any follow up by your carry will surely end in a kill).

Aureline

09-21-2012

Okay, here's another question!

In the laning phase, yes, your support is tied to your adc. They're devoted to getting them kills, helping them harrass, and getting farm.

Once the laning phase is over and teamfights start happening mid to late game, is the support still responsible for the adc exclusively? Or is the support now in charge of just doing whatever they can to make sure that any team member stays alive?

For example - 5v5 teamfight, and it looks like your jungler or your top lane is about to die. Do you jump in and use your full kit to save them?

What things should I be weighing?

Thanks!

ChiUnit4evr

09-21-2012

If you asked me, I would say that the entire team is responsible for the ADC and the APC. What it comes down to is that they are your main damage dealers, so the support (depending on who they are playing) should still be supporting the ADC and the APC and helping out wherever they can.

A support's role depends heavily on the support IMO. You have your initiator supports and your backline supports. A good example of an initiator support would be Blitzcrank. With a high level of natural tankiness and his pull/knockup, he can initiate on the opposing team and score your team a quick kill without too much risk.

A backline support would be Soraka or Sona in my opinion. These are support champs who work best if the Tank initiates first and then protects said tank or the ADC/APC from the back or middle of the team.

In the example you gave (I'm assuming you're talking about a backline support in this case as they aren't the ones stating the teamfight), yes your support should jump in and save the tank if possible. If the tank is at risk of dying, but your ADC and APC are doling out damage, then allowing the opposing team to continue wrongly focusing your tank is beneficial to the teamfight. If on the other hand, your tank is dying due to a poor initiation or it seems as though they will definitely die and your ADC and APC can't dish out the damage to take down their team, you should back off and allow your tank to die and protect your damage dealers as they can hold off an opposing team under tower whereas your tank will not be able to as readily.

So in short, you have to weigh the dynamic of the fight. If they are mis-focusing their damage, save your tank. If your tank is simply going to die and there is no way of fighting them off, retreat and support your damage dealers.

Aureline

09-21-2012

Wow, excellent reply, thanks! I'm an aspiring Lulu support, so all this feedback is extremely beneficial.

Yeah, I realized when I started this thread that a lot of case-by-case examples are vastly different, depending what champ you run with.

These are good principles, though, I'll keep them in mind.

ChiUnit4evr

09-21-2012

Not a problem. Lulu presents some interesting gameplay dynamics and my friend who plays support loves her. (He yell's "Squirrel" into skype whenever he uses whimsy....)

Aureline

09-21-2012

Lulu is the first champion I've "mastered."

I use that term loosely, mostly referring to the fact that I know what everything does, and chaining combos together is split-second muscle memory rather than trying to plot it out step-by-step. Her charming, eccentric personality matches mine, and she's so positive. ^^

In the interest of avoiding being pigeonholded/held as a girl who mains support, I've been branching out more to solo top and jungle. But still, I'm always curious to pick up more tips and tricks about a class that I (self-delcared) am good at.

Twuz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2012

An ADC is very much affected by the competence of their support. I know i've had games as support with incompetent ADCs where I managed to handhold them through the laning phase. If your support gives the enemy ADC a 400/1000g edge on you because they're always out of position and or feeding it's going to be rough until another lane/jungle can come help. It shouldn't mean the end of the game though.

Aureline

09-21-2012

@Twuz, if you're doing the hand-holding and things work out fine in late game, then rock on! But what happens when you do the best you can, but your ADC still gets, I don't know, quadra-ganked or misses out on farm due to sheer ignorance?

Is your place as a support to simply bite the bullet and take the blame, rather than pointing fingers and lashing back? Or is there a certain point where frustration wins, and you go, "**** the carry!" and last hit for days. xD

I've always viewed the ADC/Support relationship rather like a high-strung celebrity, and their personal assistant. If everything goes amazingly, there's no feedback. But if one thing goes wrong, suddenly you're hearing about it for the rest of your life.

ChiUnit4evr

09-21-2012

I've only played a handful of support champs, but I started as an ADC so I know well the balance of an ADC and a support. In my opinion, everyone should be able to play all roles comfortably. You don't have to be super duper awesome at everything, but you should be able to at least understand each role and be able to fill it.

Lulu is a great champion and yeah, she is a lot of fun. Some people shy away from her due to her lack of hard CCs, but she's just so much fun to play with, especially if she plays with an ADC that has some CC (like Ashe). Morphing people into a squirrel is pretty distracting and can throw off the entire rhythm of the opponents.