Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Does a Good/Bad Support Make or Break your ADC?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I Call ADC Bot

09-06-2012

I think the most frustrating supports are the ones that act as if you're their tank, and stand a few yards behind you at all times.. They don't try to control the bush that the enemy support is camping.. They just further back away and think that support's role is to just soak XP and heal..

Flagrock

09-06-2012

Tbh, I have found this true in nearly every case. Early game bot lane goes to the best support. Late game goes to the AD carry. I know that from my experience, if my support is terrible the laning phase is basically over. I am a decent (depends on the match-up and day) AD carry and I can't pull a terrible support yet. If your support is bad, then you have to be 10x more skilled than their AD carry. Supports set up the engages and force feed the AD carries what they need to win battles, so if you're support is terrible and fails while doing that it'll kill them, you, and just get you zoned hard.
Above average ADC vs a below average ADC, the below average ADC will win 9/10 with a better support than the better ADC.
Edit: Called Top, really? Soraka or Janna going in front of the ad carry to tank? Supports are more squishy than the AD carry unless they're a tank. So, yeah you obviously don't play supports if you are thinking they're doing it wrong by sitting back and not being caught and bursted.

I Call ADC Bot

09-06-2012

Soraka or janna are acceptable supports to stand back if the situation is volatile enough, as their main role is to heal. Though at full health Soraka can easily help control the bush on our side, by camping it and silencing anyone who tries to enter it. Im referring to supports that are meant to be more aggressive, but have a heal, like Taric, Sona or Allistar.

There are far too many times I have been zoned because my support is 100% passive, and won't even ward the bushes to compensate.

Aureline

09-07-2012

Hey everyone! Thanks so very much for the thoughtful replies. I'm a pretty new player, and even newer to the forums, so it cheers me to see such positive response.

I figured that this wouldn't be a black and white question. Every game brings with it a specific set of circumstances. One major point I've taken way from this is the idea that while a bad support can ruin your bot lane, a bad adc can cost you the entire lane.

I think there's also a difference in the way you're playing your support. Some supports have kits built more for presence in lane and harassing so that your carry can farm in peace, whereas other supports are more keyed into strictly give your carry more utility while they do their thing. That's at least one thing I've noticed.

The support's goal is to make sure the adc is fed, has lots of minion farm, and is happy and healthy. It's more like babysitting than I'd like to think about. :P

Soulkatti

09-07-2012

Supporting is all about helping your ADC build up an advantage through subtleties. Whether that is warding and keeping him safe, helping him last hit under tower by attacking those back minions just one time, or zoning the enemy ADC and forcing him to lose cs. A good support is essential to an AD carry's success and a bad support can definitely hinder his ADC. On the other hand, it is always nice to find out your ADC cant even CS properly when you are playing support. That usually means a loss.

angryWelchMan

09-07-2012

Quote:
QcGS Jeanschyso:
A good support with a good ADC will make a good ADC. A good support with a bad ADC will make a bad ADC. A bad support with a good ADC will make a bad ADC, and a bad of both will make a terrible ADC.

I main support and i disagree.
I think the adc takes the lane from bad to good while the support takes it from good to great

.............................Good ADC..........Neutral ADC............Bad ADC

Good Support.........Great Lane........Neutral Lane...........BAD lane

Neutral Support.......Good Lane........Neutral Lane...........Bad Lane

Bad Support............Neutral Lane.....Bad Lane.................Bad Lane

AJStarhiker

09-07-2012

It really goes both ways.

I main support and *which* support I'm playing really determines the how. With a tanky melee support like Leona, I'll be mostly lurking in the bushes watching for opportunities to ambush enemy players for my ADC to kill. With a ranged squishy, I'll be sitting back tossing buff onto my ADC to keep them alive and farming. For both types, if my carry isn't getting kills (thus assists for me), it can be a real challenge to balance gp5 items vs. wards vs. other items I need. And it makes it harder for me to make sure my carry has a good late game presence.

Aureline

09-08-2012

Okay, that makes sense to me as well. Different play styles for different supports. What are some things that all supports, no matter what champion, should be doing? And if these things don't happen, they could have a negative effect later on?

PureGG

09-08-2012

I main a support, so I may have a little bit of a bias opinion, but a supports job is to keep an adc alive so he/she can make more aggressive plays, get more cs, get kills he/she could normally not do alone, and get vision for the entire team.It is the job of a support to put him/herself in front of skill shots to save the adc.. that's why you see a lot of supports with a lot of deaths.
Now that being said, if a support is off doing his/her own thing, and not helping at all, you can still play a good adc game, but it will require quite a bit more skill to get safe cs, and its really risky if you even try to push the lane because of the lack of vision. It's harder to get kills, and, well, to sum up your question, if you are a good adc, you don't NEED a support, they will just make your game infinity better!

CaptClurk

09-08-2012

Here's an easy way to get some free money:
1. Download "app trailers" on your iphone/ipod/ipad.
2. Go to "videos" and enter the special bonus code "free5000septcode" for 5000 free points. Remember it only works this month.
3. Watch videos and download free apps for more free points.
4. Go to "redeem" to redeem a gift card or paypal money.
5. Only took me an hour to get $10 free into my paypal.
6. Enjoy while the offer lasts.