Great Wall of Shen [Top Shen, and Dominion Guide]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dethcast

09-06-2012

Hey guys, I was bored and couldn't sleep, and as I've been tearing it upp with Shen recently I decided to share my build. I also have a Dominion build that I might put up. Please note that if you see similarities to any other Shen builds from sites such as Solomid.net its because there are many similar, this is just how I've mixed them together to how I like it.
Also note that im not 30 yet, I'm 26, so I dont have experience in ranked, but I do play with 30's so this is NOT an advanced build/guide, it is more for beginners to intermediate players. So lets get started!
Summoner Spells: I ALWAYS run Exhaust/Ghost on Shen, it really comes in handy because the way I think of them they kind of do the same thing, except Exhaust of course will slow the enemy down, which I like because if I can't get the kill another teamate may catch up to them and I'll at least get an assist. And with Ghost its nice for chasing, which actually isn't too risky with Shen as long as your built right, and especially if your a higher level then whoever your up against. For example when I'm way over whoever im laning against I like to start messing around and just chase to see how many of them it takes to take me down and how many turrets I can survive, for example multiple times in one of my last games I chased Rengar and Shaco through the last 2 turrets in the top lane, all the way to the two turrets defending the Nexus and still picked up the double kill before the turret killed me and a couple times I still escaped.
Masteries: For masteries I have 9/21/0, for obvious reasons.
Runes: I honestly havent really gotten started on my runes yet lol but Im going to soon, but what I'm going to head for is Greater Mark of Insight x9, Greater Seal of Vitality x9, Greater Glyph of Warding x9, Greater Quintessence of Fortitude x3
Skill Order: Here Ill always start Q E Q W, or Q E W Q, I'll take the Q E W Q only if I might struggle for a little bit and I know I'll need the shield until the build really starts. Anyways after those first for focus maxing your Q first, then your W, then your E, of course picking up your R whenever you can.
Ok now to the actual builds!

Summoners Rift build:
Start with Doran's Shield
Next go Ruby Crystal, or straight to Heart of Gold if you have enough
Once you have Heart of Gold, go Boots of Speed
Here some people could disagree but I say build straight towards Sunfire Cape after Boots of Speed. Only time I may not do this is if I'm waaay back on farming and not controlling the lane to well, if that's what is going on then upgrade boots to Ninja Tabi if against more AD or Mercury Treads vs AP
Personally I go straight after Aegis of the Legion after Sunfire, but if you feel you wont make the gold quick enough go ahead and upgrade your boots (if you haven't already) before going Aegis.
FINALLY, I like to upgrade my boots after Aegis.
Next I go Warmog's. Some may disagree with this, saying it should go before Sunfire or Aegis, but I like it this way because if you can farm enough you can get Sunfire REAL quick especially if you get first blood and that gives you a nice lead early in the game as well as bonus health and an item that damages enemies around you as well.
So normally if i'm having a good game and get all this fairly early I've got the other team pissed off at me yelling in All chat, but were still not done! So remember that Heart of Gold we got at the beginning of the game? Were going to want to work on upgrading that to Randuin's Omen next.
If you still have time to pick up your final item I usually go with Wit's End, but if your really in need of Magic Resist, you may want to consider getting Force of Nature instead, possibly before Randuins if you need it then.

Summoner's Rift Tips:
*At the start, stay back the only time you should be within melee range of an enemy champ (unless their low or getting ganked) is if your harassing with your Q until your certain you've got enough health and armor to try to go after turret dives.
*Of course constantly just try to wait until minions are low then last hit them to try and get that Sunfire Cape early
*Get used to using your W even if your not the one being attacked, because what people fail to notice, is that while its active it reduces the cooldown of your Passive
*Even though its the last thing you level up, I think the E is amazing if you can manage to lure a target to a turret then you can use the E on them so there forced to follow you into the turret and attack you tthen throw an Exhaust on them and keep attacking them as they run and bam easy kill.
*Especially if you have someone else with you at top, get used to ganking mid if they need help down there (especially if you don't have a jungler) you're the guy for the job.
*LEARN TO USE YOUR R!!! Do you see a big team fight on your map and your team is outnumbered and there to far away for you to run to them? Try and choose the teamate of yours there focusing and use your R not only will you teleport to the fight, but that teamate will gain a shield too. It doesnt even neccesarily have to be a team fight, they can just be a little bit away if you see there about to go down, use your R and not only may you save their life, you may pick yourself up either a kill or assist or 2. Once you learn to do this your teammates will love you, you don't know how many Shen's I see that just disregard their R. And you can use it to escape ganks or something where you know youre dead, since it isnt interrupted by damage, if you know youre about to get screwed over you can target a teamate on the minimap, use your R while being attacked, and make it out before you die.

So that about wraps up the Summoner's Rift part of it so onto the Dominion build!!

Dominion Build:
So this one extremely similar to the Summoner's Rift one, just with different orders and of course the ban or Warmog's
To start, I prefer to pick up a Heart of Gold, and another Ruby Crystal right off the bat, this way you instantly have more health and get gold even faster then normal in Dominion.
Again I prefer to build towards Sunfire Cape first.
Next we use that first Ruby Crystal we bought to build towards Aegis of the Legion.
After getting Aegis, I usually look at the scoreboard, if it's not going to well as far as getting gold, go towards your Ninja Tabi or Mercury Treads, if your still doing fine I'll maybe buy just Boots of Speed here, and if I need some Magic Resist I go towards Force of Nature, if it's a mostly AD and not really any AP bothering me, I'll probably either instantly upgrade boots or go towards Randuin's Omen, depending on how much gold I currently have.
If you went Randuin's before upgrading boots, then upgrade boots here.
Then were going to go Wit's End.
Unless you've REALLY been tearing it up, you normally dont have time for a final item anyways so I don't really have a specific one picked out, but if you have time to get one more item I say go either for more Attack Speed or something like Force of Nature if I just want to pile more health on to the wall I already am.

Dominion Tips:
*Try and take lots of towers, I prefer to start top, then when the game starts, use Ghost to rush the speed boost, and use that to get straight top hopefully you have enough time and help to get it before the other team gets too close.
*Once you're team is holding more then the other team, if you have people defending everywhere already, feel free to go off and try and gank, just don't go to far into enemy territory. If your team seems unorganized and not defending try and find a specific bush or something you can setup in to protect a captured objective at.
*Get used to using your W even if your not the one being attacked, because what people fail to notice, is that while its active it reduces the cooldown of your Passive
*Even though its the last thing you level up, I think the E is amazing if you can manage to lure a target to a turret then you can use the E on them so there forced to follow you into the turret and attack you tthen throw an Exhaust on them and keep attacking them as they run and bam easy kill.
*LEARN TO USE YOUR R!!! Do you see a big team fight on your map and your team is outnumbered and there to far away for you to run to them? Try and choose the teamate of yours there focusing and use your R not only will you teleport to the fight, but that teamate will gain a shield too. It doesnt even neccesarily have to be a team fight, they can just be a little bit away if you see there about to go down, use your R and not only may you save their life, you may pick yourself up either a kill or assist or 2. Once you learn to do this your teammates will love you, you don't know how many Shen's I see that just disregard their R. And you can use it to escape ganks or something where you know youre dead, since it isnt interrupted by damage, if you know youre about to get screwed over you can target a teamate on the minimap, use your R while being attacked, and make it out before you die.

So remember guys this is my first real guide of sorts give me feedback im looking forward to hearing it. I'll also try and add pictures of any games I have showing good results using these builds, feel free to post your own if you get good results out of it.
And remember, Shen may be op, but that doesn't mean youl instantly be amazing with him, so it may take a while to get to know him so dont give up if you have trouble.

Also this is where a lot of my Shen build originated from so I thought I'd share it, as to not take credit for the whole thing and if you wanted to check it out.
http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=18008

dethcast

09-06-2012

The record here isnt too impressive its just to show how tanky he is on average
10/6/6
Most damage taken for my team
2nd least amount of deaths (someone else had 5 deaths)
Total Damage Taken: 29,618
Game wasn't that long either other team surrendered.

dethcast

09-06-2012

Looking at mine and Rengar's scores i cant believe we lost but **** happens :/