Shen builds?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ran Yakumo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Title, I'm about to buy Shen and was wondering how I should build him? I tried him on the PBE server and built merc treads, HoG, Warmogs and a FM, should I be building items like Rylais or Sunfire Cape?
I was thinking of RoA but the mana would be lost on Shen so....

Any advice?

Civet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Start 2tango shield 3branch
Rush a vanguard, build pipe.
If enemy team has a lot of non-ulti disable, build a bkb.

You shouldn't have any more money after this, and if you do you're a terrible pub.

Dawsonstorm

10-08-2012

^ I really think the vanguard is situational, at best. I'd advise heading for blade mail after getting some strength items. Maybe a couple bracers or an urn.

lastchancexi

10-08-2012

Rylai's is awful on Shen. You want sunfire cape or Ionic Spark for pushing. HoG is absolutely a must, first item you should rush imo. Wit's End is pretty damn solid, damage + tankyness. Frozen Mallet is fine, Warmog's is fine. Do NOT GET ROD OF AGES, SHEN DOES NOT NEED MANA or AP. Rylai's is about the same level of awful on shen.

So, basically, stack health, get resistances. Throw in a wit's end and mallet for damage + utility, and you're perfect.

FaerellG

10-08-2012

I'm still using the same build since his remake.

Start boots+3 pots
rush phage (HoG if you're behind)
pick up appropriate defense items (Chain or Null magic)
Recurve bow (for AS)

Then start finishing items:
Boots -> Merc Treads
Phage -> Mallet
Chain -> Atma's
Recurve -> Wit's End

Beyond that you have 2 open slots which you should use for "tanky" items. I recommend:
Randuins, FoN, Abyssal, Sunfire, or Warmog's.
If you're not suffering from magic damage, you can try switching out Wit's End for Madreds at late game.

Amatzikahni

10-08-2012

When has the meta switched for Shen? I played when the holy trinity of core items were Sunfire Abyssal RCS; it seems the forums are making him AD-based. Shen's abilities all scale on AP including his ult shield and W, so I'm inclined to think he hasn't changed.

FaerellG

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatzikahni View Post
When has the meta switched for Shen? I played when the holy trinity of core items were Sunfire Abyssal RCS; it seems the forums are making him AD-based. Shen's abilities all scale on AP including his ult shield and W, so I'm inclined to think he hasn't changed.
Sure...while you're at that you know that all of Tristana's abilities scale off AP as well right?

AP ratios aren't the only thing you need to look at. You also need to examine kit utility and function with regard to resources.

If you build Shen AP, what does he do for your team?
He's an Energy champion which means he can't really spam his abilities too hard, so unloading with Q will starve you of energy and you can't taunt when you need to.
Since you're not doing noticable damage, and you're the tank, the enemy has no reason to focus you, so activating W doesn't do much.
Your taunt hurts more and your ulti is better, but you get 1...maybe 2 usages of it per fight. It's on a long cooldown too, so you have to consider what you'll do between cooldowns. No matter what you build, between cooldowns, you'll be auto attacking.

Building AD just plain deals more damage because a supermajority of the actions shen takes are auto attacks. Also, we're not talking about building AD necessarily. It's more like building AD bruiser. Also remember that Shen scales really well with HP due to his passive, so tossing on HP and an Atma's synergizes very well. Additionally, his passive synergizes with Attack speed. It brings up Ki-strike faster and brings up that HP synergy.

This build strategy changed every since they changed his passive to lower cooldown on him delivering Auto-attacks, rather than taking it.

Fiveofswords

10-08-2012

well i always jungle with shen...i use %health runes, AS marks and MR/lvl glyph
I tend to rush heart of gold (btw with the right runes shen totally can clear jungle without starting with pots, jsut start with the health gem for HoG...although sometimes you need to gank a lane fast anyway so clearing the jungle on first trip rarely happens anyway), get merc treads, then the sunfire cloak/ionic spark and warmogs...other items situational...may get banshee veil vs heavy ap team (prefer it to FoN simply cause it gives health also)...also might get abyssal scepter if my team is very ap heavy....i almost never would get thornmail because people wont focus you anyway...but its not totally inconceivable. Frozen mallet if our team needs the extra slow...I fill up raduins eventually...hard to tell when its a good time...its not ultra high priority for me i like always squeezing out some extra gold from the ingredient. I get the sheild with the mr/ar aura (sorry forget what its called) if my team is pretty squishy. Shen is onyl an occasional peel sort of tank he cant do it all the time, so he cant really protect squishy carries very well.

the main function fo your w really is for turret diving enemies...you want turrets to focus you instead of your carries and thats when you W....when turrets arent around you basically never w...except for odd stuff like karthus ult maybe. The stat you totally want to focus on for shen is health...but you need to be careful of % health stuff like madreds/kogmaw and evelyn and the like....this is when you need a little extra magic resist

Amatzikahni

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
This build strategy changed every since they changed his passive to lower cooldown on him delivering Auto-attacks, rather than taking it.
I stopped playing for around three months, so I glanced over that and didn't think much of it. Thanks for the clarification; now I can play him properly again.