Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Female Objectification in LoL: A Rational Response

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rahgar

09-06-2012

We have enough ****ing threads about this, man.

chumbler

09-06-2012

Quote:
Rahgar:
We have enough ****ing threads about this, man.

Clearly untrue, considering the problem still exists.

DeusExLamina

09-06-2012

Quote:
BlackMystic:
I'm not talking about the ones who are clothed, I'm talking about characters like Janna And Evelynn that exist,while very few male counterparts to them exist as well. Where is ezrael in the speedo? Talon in the thong? Would you consider those going too far if included?

Ezreal, Garen, Pantheon, Malzahar, Jarvan, Varus, Tryndamere, and Lee Sin are each examples of idealized men. It's still objectification, but most guys don't really care. As for Janna and Eve, it's in their character to be dressed that way, whereas many men are barrelchested with a full set of abs for the sake of being barrelchested with a full set of abs.

Azuredragon653

09-06-2012

Quote:
chumbler:
Clearly untrue, considering the problem still exists.

There is no problem. Things that are already objects can't be objectified.

Women are objects. Men are objects. Animals are objects. My computer is an object. Your brain, sadly, is not an object.

chumbler

09-06-2012

Quote:
Azuredragon653:
There is no problem. Things that are already objects can't be objectified.

Women are objects. Men are objects. Animals are objects. My computer is an object. Your brain, sadly, is not an object.

Why thank you, I'm glad you recognize that my brain is a subject and actually does things. Sadly the same cannot be said about yours, considering you apparently do not understand what object and objectification actually mean. You should try actually looking up resources on objectification of women in media and society.

Azuredragon653

09-06-2012

Quote:
chumbler:
You should try actually looking up resources on objectification of women in media and society.

Why? Why would I look up something that attempts to explain something that doesn't and can't exist?

mogonk

09-06-2012

Quote:
DeusExLamina:
Ezreal, Garen, Pantheon, Malzahar, Jarvan, Varus, Tryndamere, and Lee Sin are each examples of idealized men. It's still objectification, but most guys don't really care. As for Janna and Eve, it's in their character to be dressed that way, whereas many men are barrelchested with a full set of abs for the sake of being barrelchested with a full set of abs.

I don't think you read the OP. The question isn't whether they are idealized. Of course they are. The question is what the ideal standard is. When you present idealized warriors as warriors, that's hard to argue with. When you present idealized *** partners as warriors, that's a very different thing.

The fact is, we don't have an idealized portrayal of female warriors-as-warriors in our cultural frame of reference. If a woman warrior is presented in virtually any medium, she is idealized by the standard set of female ideals, which have nothing to do with being a warrior. Hence the conflict. Hence the problem.

BlackMystic

09-06-2012

Quote:
DeusExLamina:

Why is it in their character to be dressed that way? Idealized and objectified are two different things. Janna could be wearing a robe and Evelynn could actually have pants on. A guy without a shirt is not objectification the way Evelynna and Janna are objectified

chumbler

09-06-2012

^^^^ That's also setting aside that "It's justified in the character" skirts around how it just so happens that "woman renowned for her beauty or who is a *** goddess" is a character that pops up an awful lot. You can say that it's justified for stripper characters to wear very little clothing, but that ignores that you're making a whole lot of stripper characters in the first place.

Quote:
Azuredragon653:
Why? Why would I look up something that attempts to explain something that doesn't and can't exist?

Because without an understanding of the opposing argument your opinions are completely and utterly worthless?

Azuredragon653

09-06-2012

Quote:
chumbler:
Because without an understanding of the opposing argument your opinions are completely and utterly worthless?

There is no opposing argument.