Scoots, manager of team EG, confirms exclusivity contracts by Riot

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerglinator

Senior Member

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Guys, letís clear this up: this was a big miscommunication between Riot and a few teams. We are not requiring team organizations to be exclusive to League of Legends, period.

Our goal as an eSports organization is simple. Itís to do our best to over deliver on the expectations of our fans. This is why we have made a very large commitment to eSports, despite being a young company relative to some of the largest game companies in the world. We have set a high bar for ourselves as we have decided to take on some ambitious and unconventional risks such as building an official league and formalizing consistent regular season play. We have made this a focus because we love eSports as much as our fans and we believe it deserves the best possible production quality, live events, and fan/player experience. And ultimately, we believe our initiative and investment in eSports will help every competitive game.
inb4 Liar! And Dodging the question!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saenity

Member

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownface View Post
Your response has nothing to do with the comment you quoted.

An esports team can own a ton of different branches because the cost of the players is a near-microscopic fraction of that of any sports team. The budget for a single baseball player on a major league team is many many times higher than the entirety EG and Dignitas and whoever combined, so yes, sports and esports are different, the rules are different, and team owners operate differently.
you're looking at it in the current state and not what it could be potentially down the road. 5-10 years. There could be TV contracts which is millions upon millions of dollars, LoL Pro Teams/Clubs in every major city who competes weekly.... Big Picture


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

a4mad

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Guys, letís clear this up: this was a big miscommunication between Riot and a few teams. We are not requiring team organizations to be exclusive to League of Legends, period.

Our goal as an eSports organization is simple. Itís to do our best to over deliver on the expectations of our fans. This is why we have made a very large commitment to eSports, despite being a young company relative to some of the largest game companies in the world. We have set a high bar for ourselves as we have decided to take on some ambitious and unconventional risks such as building an official league and formalizing consistent regular season play. We have made this a focus because we love eSports as much as our fans and we believe it deserves the best possible production quality, live events, and fan/player experience. And ultimately, we believe our initiative and investment in eSports will help every competitive game.
that's nice and all, but how does that respond to the problem at all?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerglinator

Senior Member

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4mad View Post
that's nice and all, but how does that respond to the problem at all?
It was a big miscommunication. Did you miss that part?

Also, CALLED IT


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CoonSan CoonSan

Senior Member

09-06-2012

Yea RedBeard better keep not giving money to the top 2 teams money when they make it. Really makes me feel that drives eSports to be more popular. I don't believe a damn thing you say because of MLG gate.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kazadiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
inb4 Liar! And Dodging the question!
That's not even a fair inb4.

Thing is, We don't have any specifics from either side, Any and all of this could easily be spawned from a misquote or as redbeard said, a Communication error.

Riot didn't go through with whatever this nonsense is, so while rushing to their wide open arms is still not viable, that doesn't mean we should burn them to the ground for thinking about something.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nirc

Senior Member

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
It was a big miscommunication. Did you miss that part?

Also, CALLED IT
He needs to explain the miscommunication, then, because judging by the evidence in the OP, it's a hell of a big one


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phil Nye

Senior Member

09-06-2012

Riot, it'd be better if we had a succinct but detailed explanation as to why these teams have a reason to state so. If it's a miscommunication, say so and break down how it happened. People don't just spout something for the sake of spreading misinformation


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

a4mad

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
It was a big miscommunication. Did you miss that part?

Also, CALLED IT
That still doesn't help anything. Still no response on why they tried to do it in the first place, only a paragraph about how much riot "loves" esports


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saenity

Member

09-06-2012

All you doomsayers must be the same people on the Blizzard forums