Implementing a VGS function to LoL

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mcktrtl

09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by QraQers View Post
Now that you explained it further I agree with your idea. The learning curve is a definite with any new addition to a game and I should take that into account.

Like an idea would be a voiced "Attack (enemy champion name)!" and the ping could be a lightning bolt within a circle to symbolize attacking.

Kinda what you had in mind?
Yup, except I always favor symbolic sounds over voiced announcements. They make less sense at first, but in the stress of the game they are more informative as the higher cognitive processes are (or should be, if you are paying attention to your game) too busy to interpret language and are much more suited to responding to very basic and very instantaneous boops and beeps. This is also beneficial if there are multiple or overlapping commands as a sound is short and nearly instantaneous, whereas a voice will go on for several seconds.

Regardless, just backing up the spirit of your OP, one of the foundations of a team game is communication. Champion counters and item builds and jungle routes are easy to analyze and memorize and pass on but being able to communicate and synergize with your team is as important and basic as knowing what your abilities do and how to use them. It's not prudent to type everything out (or even read it), so there should be an alternative and I definitely do not think VoIP is it. The vast majority of things you need to communicate with your team are simple enough to be put into a rather small script.

LightingRings

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2012

spams h

QraQers

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2012

Bump cause we need a lot of public appeal to get Riot's attention =]

Shenaniganks

09-15-2012

Something like HoN has, integrated voice chat, would be pretty cool. While many casual League players may not have microphones, built-in voice chat would improve solo queue by a mile.

While three pings would certainly be an improvement a fully implemented voice system appears to be an ultimate goal for communication. Also considered is the capability for a voice feature to make the community more personal.

Arguments as well as agreements can be made and broken by the impersonal feel between teammates and opponents when all a player has to go on is text and a summoner name. Sure, there are costs to consider to grant enough space for several million players at any given time but I'd totally buy some sort of skin to support it... DJ Karthus...

QraQers

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahgaypants View Post
Something like HoN has, integrated voice chat, would be pretty cool. While many casual League players may not have microphones, built-in voice chat would improve solo queue by a mile.

While three pings would certainly be an improvement a fully implemented voice system appears to be an ultimate goal for communication. Also considered is the capability for a voice feature to make the community more personal.

Arguments as well as agreements can be made and broken by the impersonal feel between teammates and opponents when all a player has to go on is text and a summoner name. Sure, there are costs to consider to grant enough space for several million players at any given time but I'd totally buy some sort of skin to support it... DJ Karthus...
I actually feel like forced VOIP hinders more than it helps. It sure did for HoN for the majority of time I played it.

boourns

UI Designer

09-17-2012
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahgaypants View Post

I'm not sure voice chat in solo queue would be a good idea.... XBOX 360 . It would also make it more difficult to review cases in tribunal (would we record the audio and make people listen to it?). Anyways, there are enough problems with solo queue voice chat that I don't think we will do it anytime soon.

I definitely see the value of voice chat in pre-mades, but outside that I think it's really problematic.

Omegafilter

09-17-2012

I shudder to think about xbox 360 chat again

BelligerentGnu

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I'm not sure voice chat in solo queue would be a good idea.... <cough> XBOX 360 </cough>. It would also make it more difficult to review cases in tribunal (would we record the audio and make people listen to it?). Anyways, there are enough problems with solo queue voice chat that I don't think we will do it anytime soon.

I definitely see the value of voice chat in pre-mades, but outside that I think it's really problematic.
<cough> TF2 </cough>

I'm really tired of this argument. Yes, there are places where voice comm is a problem. There are also places where it is one of the best features of the game. We have mute buttons, and I would happily deal with whatever unpleasantness something like this would generate in exchange for proper communication.

doctorricardo

09-17-2012

Somebody is harassing me in chat! Riot: "ignore and report"

We need a voice chat system! Riot: "nope, the trolls would abuse that"

Darth Melkor

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Neat idea, I think we could do something more precise than what they do. I definitely agree that making it easier to do things like call MIA or on my way somewhere, etc would be good.

Lots of people have asked for an MIA ping (in fact, I wanted to do this when we were making Dominion and also creating the retreat ping). We would probably do something along these lines that would allow more precise messaging.
Riot pls! Implement whatever idea you have for this I'd appreciate the hell out of it. Solo Q is a nightmare mostly due to miscommunication or lack of communication all together. The current pings are real useful but just aren't specific enough.