Implementing a VGS function to LoL

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mcktrtl

09-07-2012

I would definitely love to see a more complex ping system that involved either chorded keys or key sequences, however I don't think replacing pings with a robotic voice is a good idea.

Words take time to say and time to understand which can be made simpler, especially considering the language barrier some players might suffer. For example, "Top Lane is MIA" could be better done with a certain sound effect along with a flashing question mark in the minimap. Along these lines, I would love to see the necessary communication broken down into simplified key sequences along with simple sounds + ui indicators.

A super awesome example is the G ping + an enemy unit (or tower). It makes a certain sound (though you hear that sound a lot), and puts a target over their head on your main screen. Even though its grossly underused, it helps everyone understand things much faster and easier than speaking would.

QraQers

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelante View Post
I would definitely love to see a more complex ping system that involved either chorded keys or key sequences, however I don't think replacing pings with a robotic voice is a good idea.

Words take time to say and time to understand which can be made simpler, especially considering the language barrier some players might suffer. For example, "Top Lane is MIA" could be better done with a certain sound effect along with a flashing question mark in the minimap. Along these lines, I would love to see the necessary communication broken down into simplified key sequences along with simple sounds + ui indicators.

A super awesome example is the G ping + an enemy unit (or tower). It makes a certain sound (though you hear that sound a lot), and puts a target over their head on your main screen. Even though its grossly underused, it helps everyone understand things much faster and easier than speaking would.
You bring up a good point that I think was also covered, to an extent, by another commenter a while back. He stated that the system should be used to speak to people who don't speak English. I brought up the idea of a short index language filter that can be applied in your personal settings to change the notification language ( at least the text, but the voice command would be better ).

The problem I see with your idea of changing the voice to altered sounds is the exact reason why you think the robotic voice wouldn't work. These sounds would take far too long for people to understand fully. It would take much time to associate a sound to a callout message, but it could work given some time. I would just be worried about the interest people would have towards it being sound and not voiced.
I wish I could give you a clip of Smite to show you how well and fluid the VGS system work. I may take a small clip later and post it in my original post.

Thank you for your input.

DeanKeaton259

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2012

@OP, you do realize you can do this yourself using Autohotkey scripts right?

I've been using it for over a year now. I have Top Mia, Mid Mia, re all programmed to my numpad.

A lot of people also just use the retreat ping on their lane when it is missing, this is pretty obvious and works as well. I don't think we need any more ping type. It would just be overkill and it would be annoying as hell.

QraQers

09-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanKeaton259 View Post
@OP, you do realize you can do this yourself using Autohotkey scripts right?

I've been using it for over a year now. I have Top Mia, Mid Mia, re all programmed to my numpad.

A lot of people also just use the retreat ping on their lane when it is missing, this is pretty obvious and works as well. I don't think we need any more ping type. It would just be overkill and it would be annoying as hell.
Yeah but this is with voices attached to them.

QraQers

09-09-2012

Bump

QraQers

09-09-2012

Bump

jadelink

09-10-2012

anyone who has played any of the tribes games with decent players will testify that this can be a useful system.

We could even introduce a League equivalent of 'shazbot'.

KingofMaelstroms

09-12-2012

This sounds like a good idea and it would sure beat having to type everything out. It could save your from dying when you were typing too, lol.

mcktrtl

09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by QraQers View Post
The problem I see with your idea of changing the voice to altered sounds is the exact reason why you think the robotic voice wouldn't work. These sounds would take far too long for people to understand fully. It would take much time to associate a sound to a callout message, but it could work given some time. I would just be worried about the interest people would have towards it being sound and not voiced.
I wish I could give you a clip of Smite to show you how well and fluid the VGS system work. I may take a small clip later and post it in my original post.

Thank you for your input.
The important thing I think would be having actual UI (visual) cues that accompany sounds (like a target that appears over an enemy if you hit g+click on them). For example, pinging an ally to move to a certain location could issue a sound along with an arrow pointing the way, or an MIA ping could show a caution sign on the minimap.

These definitely have a learning component built in, not just to understand but to encourage people to use. However, I think that once the learning is done this would be vastly superior to voice as it would be much quicker and clearer than a robotic voice saying "Summoner, your ally commands you to move in this direction!" -- something which likely would not finish the sentence by the time the opportunity passes

QraQers

09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelante View Post
The important thing I think would be having actual UI (visual) cues that accompany sounds (like a target that appears over an enemy if you hit g+click on them). For example, pinging an ally to move to a certain location could issue a sound along with an arrow pointing the way, or an MIA ping could show a caution sign on the minimap.

These definitely have a learning component built in, not just to understand but to encourage people to use. However, I think that once the learning is done this would be vastly superior to voice as it would be much quicker and clearer than a robotic voice saying "Summoner, your ally commands you to move in this direction!" -- something which likely would not finish the sentence by the time the opportunity passes
Now that you explained it further I agree with your idea. The learning curve is a definite with any new addition to a game and I should take that into account.

Like an idea would be a voiced "Attack (enemy champion name)!" and the ping could be a lightning bolt within a circle to symbolize attacking.

Kinda what you had in mind?