1264 games of ranked -- The ELO system, Ranked.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CoOookies

09-05-2012

Long thread ahead, disclaimer these are my opinions based on my experience and world view. Disagreement with my statements is great. When you live something its hard to be told by someone else about anything in life that will change that opinion.

Introduction:
Ladies and gentlemen I have been working on this ELO hell question, does it exist? For about a year. I have other accounts has high as 1760 ELO, some at 1400 with fewer games played, my current ELO is currently 1024 losing about 150 elo in a day, a few days ago I was 10 games from 1200 again, and as high as 1350 at one point.

Little background I created this account on a bet to do an ELO challenge. The bet was to go from 500 - 1200 ELO in 3 weeks, my buddy bet me 100$ RP, why? We were both bored and sick of getting trolled in our 1700 elo games by pro players running smurfs, happens all the time, you can even get trolled while they stream it, which is cool at first but then gets old.

First thing and its been said many times, you get trolled at all ELO's, so all ELO or ranked games are ELO hell. Gman Bob gets trolled, SKOcelot gets trolled at 2k+, you can see it on stream the evidence is all over the net.

So playing ranked expect it, it will shake your mental toughness, it will ruin your day, it will make you wanna quit LoL forever and never look back. But if you love this game like I do, you will keep trying like a person with palsy trying to screw in a bolt using a hammer.

Did I win the bet, yes, I played my best character Kennen, before the nerfs working my ass off, in some cases carrying 3 v 5 games (2AFKs), on the last day with 3 hours remaining hit 1208 ELO, then climbed to 1350 a few days later. Then I seemed free fall in 3 days back below 1200, then down to 700, then down to 500, then back up to 1000 then back down to 700 then back up to 1100. Its been an amazing ride of emotions and learning.

I created this thread to answer questions for newer players. So ask away, I am not the god of LoL I am just an average joe trying to get better like everyone else.

Link to LoLKing and my current stats.
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/27676860#profile

<-----------------More information if you want to keep reading--------------------->

My biggest limitation on this S2 journey was only being really good at 3 characters and one role AP MID, like most people thought I was much better then I am, probably still do.

So I started to think about it this way, I am not good at anything but Kennen. Kennen I love you but you can only get me so far. First step, and very important to improvement like Clint Eastwood says is admitting, "A man has to know his limitations!"

Lets say I am a 1700 ELO Kennen, What am I in the rest of the roles? Am I 1200 ELO support player? No. 900 ELO ADC? I wish I cant last hit to save my life under pressure. 500 ELO Jungler? Yes or worse. 1400 ELO Top lane, sure as long as I could take Kennen and didn't get countered. Very thin ice!

I am hard on myself and try to take a very honest look at my skills, after a while I began to think I was just lucky to hit 1700 on my other accounts, and truthfully I was. Luck plays an important part of climbing up early. Once you are below 1200 or even at the 1200 rank you are playing with new players to ranked on your team as well on the opposing team.

Ranked players try harder, they are usually better then normal players, even a 900 ELO ranked player is trying his hardest to get out of that ELO range, they take it more seriously, so taking a ranked game lightly will not be in your best interests or the interests of your team. In Season 1 I had the Hey lets try ranked, went down to 350 elo then back to 950 before it ended, oh the humanity.

Now during that run I ran into a player who was 1800+ elo playing mid and helping his buddy get his account of out that ELO range. I was playing Kennen we got destroyed as a team, but I killed this guy 3 times and he was trying, he added me after the game and started accusing me of being on a smurf and trolling low elo games, we became friends. :-) Later we made this bet about ELO, 3 weeks later I won 100$ in RP gift cards.I leaned many things from him before Season 2 began.

Dangling with da Jangling:
I wanted to improve, for me I started with my worst skill, jungling I could not gank anyone to save my life, I didn't know the routes, so I started watching OddOne and Saint's streams, and really just started doing what I saw on the stream, instant improvement on getting the routes down, but ganking was terrible.

I made a rule, don't gank with buffs ever, if I give the opposing team buffs I am setting my team back so far I be very sad they will be sad, sadness everywhere. I would hate if it was me mid / top lane and my jungler just gave them buffs, happened many times. It could cost them the lane and the tower.

I said to myself am too much a noob to risk it, maybe once I get better I can try with one buff and then maybe two. Another trick that I thought was genius what if I time the buffs for when they are about to expire and if I die getting a kill but know my dive will get my team the kill and the buffs transferred them. Not only getting gold for everyone, getting the opposing enemy out of lane costing them time and gold, and maybe drawing the enemy jungler to that lane so we know where he is and giving those buffs to my lanes is awesome for them.

High risk, high gain, I still feel the risk for doing this is so high for failure that even pro junglers don't do it, dying is bad in general so even now I try to avoid ganking with blue if am I going mid, giving an enemy AP carry our first blue fills the world with sadness.

I learned Mundo, Mao, Nunu, Malp, tried many others, still dont have what are considered to be top tear junglers to a point where I am 1700 elo with them, after reviewing my stats I in this season have gone from 500 ELO jungler to 1000. I have carried a lot of game from jungle, but its hard when the boat is leaking you can't patch the holes fast enough, she is going down.

Last Hits and da S@i@Ts

Oh AD carry where are you? Oh noes its me? So for this task Guardsman Bob, Afromoo, Chaox were the teachers I needed. All have different styles all are awesome. Gman is a little to conservative, Afro prob a bit to aggressive, its why Chaox is known as one of the best ADC in the world.

Two big issues, first last hits, practice on your sister like kissing, even in a bot game you can practice, practice and learn to peal minions off the tower with out losing them, practice, practice more then pretend like you never tried to get better and practice more. Last hitting while you are getting getting ganked from a jungler, top lane and 2 bot lanes isn't easy, in fact you should be running away unless help is coming from a TP top lane and mid and your jungler is running in.

Second your support, low elo supports are terrible, remember this, TERRIBLE, they dont know what they are doing, if you got blitz he will pull the wrong guy, he will pull him on top of you, he will get you killed, sona / tairc will waste mana like a drunken hobo before level 2 trying to steal minions, etc. On and on you get it picture.

When you are working on your mechanics it don't matter let them die, let your tower go, if you aren't getting help its better then feeding the enemy carry. Farm from your second tower, you see pros do this all the time, and play for late game, you have to keep farming, you have to keep pushing your lanes so the enemy can't pressure other lanes but buy your own wards, ward your lower jungle bush, and tri-bush and farm.

With out farm you don't do damage without damage you are useless in a team fight. Try to avoid team fights, ask your team to avoid team fights all you are trying to do is buy time to catch up. Keep checking your CS vs the enemy's and your items. See where you are every few minutes this what I learned from watching Gman, and the rest of the pro's.

I learned to last hit under fire, from checking against a gold schedule I created from watching the pros I can honestly say I am 75% of pro skill level if everything is going ok against low sub-1000 ELO competition, meaning the higher I climb this number could drop to 50% of a pro or less.

Positioning during a team fight is key to living and doing your job, watch the streams, watch the replays of events, watch how they do it and hope you can improve. Know that you are the number 1 target on the field of justice, every jumper (gap closer) is going to try to get you. Malp will try to ult you, Naut will ult you, everyone will ult you! The entire team will spend every ult on you to kill you.

This is my number 1 rule for ADC in team fights don't be seen early, unless you trust your team and are baiting this is very advanced and can go sideways very quickly. You will be dead and angry, and worse you will not be helping your team by putting out the damage they need. You are the QB on the football field, the goalie hockey, you are suppose to be behind big giant dudes that are hopefully going to save your buttocks when the pain train is rolling down the tracks right toward your lovely home in the country.

More on ADC and your support, your goal in the first few minutes of farming in lane is to judge your support counter part and the enemy team. What did your support buy? How do they move around the lane? Where are they warding?

Are they trying to take last hits, even on accident, do they realize they are auto attacking and screwing up your last hits? You can tell very quickly a good support might be napping and auto attack a few times, but then move themselves out of range or hit the space bar so they will stop auto attacking.

Are they putting themselves in a bad place during trades? How fast do they react to trades?

All these these questions will form an opinion of their skill set, and they will be doing the same about your last hitting. With these opinions both of you should be calculating the risk of being aggressive or being passive.

More questions I ask myself during these first few minutes, are the enemy team a duo q? If they are and you aren't, back up. I lower my expectations, or better way of saying it I set my expectations based on this information of how aggressive I should be. Is the jungler duo with the support or adc? You can tell these things with timing of events during the first gank attempt, if they are on voice even if I am are doing well, I tell myself back off.

Our jungler, which jungler is he playing? how fast does it take that jungler to gank, some are slower then others based on character type, you can judge your jungle by the route they take. If you are bot lane expect almost no ganks, its harder to gank bot because of wards. I used to be in that crowd when I first started that would blame the jungler, but then realized it was my over extending that was causing the issues, in fact my goal of pushing hard was making it impossible for the jungler to gank unless it was going to be a tower dive.

TIP: If you have judged that you are against a voice com duo q, type to your support if you are solo q, "Hey buddy these guys? I think they are on voice, we need to watch it." It does help some what, and it shows your support player that you are thinking about other things and are focused just on last hitting, an trying to win the lane, also it should get them thinking. Thinking is good. :-) Support is boring for most people. Keep their head in the game is good and it makes it way more fun.

AP Mid the great expansion of skills into greatness with out limiting yourself to one character like Kennen (really long title)

Kenny... Oh Kenny... I have said this before and cant say it enough I love Kennen, he has been my favorite champ since I played him for free one week. Every account I start he is always my first purchase, always my first rune page, even though I know it's wrong I love that little guy. Any character that has to run into hell in a team fight and then use their ultimate to BBQ enemies is a champ for me. Sometimes late at night I will talk like the Emperor from Star wars screaming, "UNLIMITED POWERRRrrr" during ults. Yes its sick and wrong and I am sorry to my neighbors for making them hear it.

Kennen is a great top lane champ and mid lane, they have nerfed almost every core item he uses, and have even now nerfed him. I would play AD Kennen, AP kennen I learned most everything from Ego Ignaxio considered to be the best Kennen player in the world, his guide on solomid.net gave me all the information I needed and improved my game using Kennen by 3x. I provide the link below this paragraph, I am not sure if its up to date, but regardless still a great guide.

http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=1691

Using Kennen I had the best games of my life no question, I could carry games that I should have lost, but I was very limited. Since I hadn't played a lot other AP mid champs I had a hard time countering AP champs I should have beat. So I started playing every AP champ I had, every AP champ that was free just in the hope that if I knew how they worked I could get better at beating them with Kennen. This helped a lot, but still limiting if your main character is banned during champ select.

So I decided to expand my roster of AP mid champs I started watching Froggen and Scarra, Gman, Oscelot, Alex when they were playing mid on stream. I learned Ahri, Anivia, Lux, Ryze, then it dawned me that they avoided playing these champs during events (matches) so I then learned TF, Gargas, Karthus, Morgana, Mordekaiser, and now learning Oriana.

The first thing I noted when comparing myself to them, is how well they farmed, all had amazing mechanics, even where I thought I was good at farming with Kennen all were better at farming with Kennen then I was or even am now. But the more I watched the streams the more I learned and then applied the techniques I was seeing to my own game. Every character they played I found a new trick or way of farming that would save mana then by limiting myself to auto attacks only at first I went from never having mana to always having mana. I would use all my abilities to farm, big mistake, you need to save them.

Mana, having mana if you are an AP caster that requires mana is very important you have to save your mana for trades with the enemy. If your character has an escape in this case using lux as an example, I almost never use my cage on minions, if I am getting ganked I need it to save myself, any character that has a snare or cage save it. In the case of Kennen lighting rush, I never use it to farm, if I do and they come for me I am dead. So I knew this already but then I had to get the hang of mana management. With out mana you can't save yourself at key moments if you are already behind you fall much farther behind. Mana management is a key to lane sustain, and keeping your farm up. If you can't stay in lane you can't farm.

Like playing ADC I judge my jungler, my top lane, and once I hit level 6 I start looking to help other lanes, some enemy AP's shove so hard and fast it's hard to balance how long I need to stay in lane, in some cases I have let my mid tower fall so I can gank other lanes. This is only if I believe that they AP mid will start over extending themselves to be easier to gank from me and the jungler when we return mid.

I also used to push their tower down as fast as I could even if I was winning then realized that I was helping them by doing this and hurting myself. The pro's leave that tower up forever if they can, they want the towers eating the enemy teams gold for as long as it can. If the AP mid is leaving to get blue or to gank themselves then I try to follow them and try to counter gank, if I don't people get very upset.

Calling MIAs, or SS for EU players, I have read many arguments but Gman Bob's made the most sense to me, why would you be reading the chat when you should be fighting, farming, saving yourself, etc. Well truth is most people don't they only blame the person for not calling them after they are dead because they over extended and scroll up looking for the call if they do not see it they scream while waiting to spawn. The only counter argument is to stop what your doing to type SS or MIA is that it will prevent them from getting pissed off, well I have done that too, and they still get pissed off so at this point I might as well keep farming. :-)

My advice to everyone check the map, checking the map every few seconds is the key to laning, if you don't see people on the map expect them in the bush next to you. Once I started doing this my world was much brighter and happier, with little rainbows everywhere. I think I could even hear butterflies singing to me quietly.

Check the map every 30 seconds, buy WARDS, in every lane. If you watch Froggen play he will buy 2 wards no matter how far behind he is, no matter if red bricks of flaming death are surrounding him while his mouse is melting in his hand in a blind rage and Krepo is screaming I hate you over voice in some foreign language that only monkeys and dolphins understand he will die with 2 wards in his inventory. Every chance he gets, he will ward, re-ward, and consider him the most disciplined mid-lane AP warder in the game.

OK back to me and my learning, well as I played more champs I became better with them, big surprise. I hit 75% win ratio with Gargas, and 70% with Karthus. On Lux I would play my heart out, I would start out great, but late game even trying many different builds and having 12k+ gold the damage output was not enough to kill the enemy teams fast enough for it to matter. I start using Lichbane on her which is awesome, still couldn't get my win rate above 60%.

Other Champs were cake, like Gargas, holly donkey-S#X on Tuesday, easy to farm, easy to sustain, they just nerfed him but dam he is great.

Karthus death from above having the highest skill cap in the game, pressing R is hard for a lot people, come on you know its true. :-) Why is he great, no other champ can keep farming mid while changing the outcome of other lanes, no other champ. His late game damage output is amazing, best thing is you are suppose to die in the middle of the team fight who can ask for more? Not me, I love that black dress wearing fool now more then ever.

TF, well I went from being the worst pick a card person on the planet to the 2ND worst, Oh yellow card where are ya. I honestly suck with TF I got one quadra or maybe two i think out of pure luck. I tried to live the life of a simple man but failed. One thing I learned from playing TF was how good lichbane is and why I should have been buying it on champs like Lux who have the auto attack strength of a wet piece of toilet paper decades ago. I mean I loved the stress and excitement of sitting at tower and auto attacking for 10 minutes to watch it be at half health but Lichbane solved all that.

I got better at farming with TF, I did learn but I cant be more then a 900 ELO TF, under fire that pick a card thing is way beyond me. I will keep trying of course, and studied it a lot to detect a pattern I could remember under-fire, my trouble is remembering what card I had last with out looking down, and the timing to get the card desired when needed. Under-fire I just spam as fast as I can, try to get red cards when I need them, yellows, and blues.

Oh if I could only top lane like Dryus or better yet Wick'd his hero.

To be written later

Deep Deep Deep Deeper (Overall Game)

To be written later

Knowing when to Hold Em' Knowing when to RUN! (Team Fights)

To be written later

The match making system (not match.com)

To be written later

This donkey won't hunt (Losing streaks) I lost my skill where are they?

To be written later

This troll bridge is coming to a freeway near your home to make your ELO go go go, gone!

To written later, only thing I will say on this subject.

People want to lose on purpose?
Nah, cant be?
Who would want to lose?
My Season 1 nativity in full bloom, OH THE HUMANITY.

<<<----ALL FOR NOW----->>> I will continue this thread if anyone has interest in hearing more.

CoOookies

09-05-2012

Reserved....

Cheap0

09-05-2012

This thread looks like it has a lot of potential, and it's already very good so far. I'll be keeping my eye on it.

CoOookies

09-07-2012

No questions so far, but I have some hope still. I will be updating the thread today in a few hours.

IS1eae7cbb510cc9b1e2028

09-07-2012

Good stuff actually. I'm not really high elo... more like low elo. But this is good stuff to read. Very helpfull tips which i'm gonna try too

Keep it coming

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2012

I can't disagree with anything. Though, I usually buy a pink ward or ask support to buy a pink ward, or if I'm doing well enough buy an oracle to get rid of the wards bot. Then again, I main Evelynn so usually I just don't care :P Though on Rammus I almost always get an Oracle early-mid game.

CoOookies

09-07-2012

Well I updated the AP section. More to come. I will try to write a section a day.

CoOookies

09-27-2012

Well I got a new machine and this task fell by the wayside. The new machine is awesomeness wrapped in bacon. Now that I found my links again I will trying to continue this story / guide.

deirin

09-30-2012

zzzzz elo exist dude...1600++ last hit minion properly, counterpick u and stuff...even if a 1400 counterpick you he has 7/8 chance that he dont even know how to play his hero properly lol... its a jokeand normal game...well i wont even talk about 100% win rate

EyeHearShapes

09-30-2012

love it