Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Few words about Queue Dodge Timer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1879fbf8ece39275db4d9

09-10-2012

Quote:
RiotKiddington:
There are few concerns with some sort of “dodge forgiveness” or “free dodge of the day”. If we give out flat one free dodge per day (or something of similar concept) per player then the end result will not be pleasing for our players. I think the best analogy is printing money cause inflation. If we give out one free dodge per day per player, then there will be millions of free dodge pass floating around. Since no champion selection can be dodged twice or dodged concurrently, there will be millions of champion selection dodged and millions of player impacted regardless the cause of the individual dodge. Most of you actually have the intention of playing a game, but if we are giving a free dodge to you then we are also giving a free dodge to people around you. When the time comes that you do actually want to start the game, you may find yourself on the receiving end of someone else’s dodge. “Millions of free dodge” is a scary thing to me.

Then the question becomes, can we create a queue dodge configuration (or control) that’s smarter, more intelligent, or more selective. Well, that’s what this discussion is for. Thinking about the queue dodge design, it is like picking the “lesser of two evils”, but there are many more factors need to be considered than just pick one out of two.

If(and only if) the "free dodge of the day" system is relatively easy to create, can't you test it on PBE and gather some data? That's pretty much the point of PBE anyway.

Varaxael

09-10-2012

Quote:
naotasan:
There has been a thread and a lot of data collected though.
One of my friends doesn't play Dominion anymore because after 2 or 3 games his cursor disappears every game until he restarts his computer.

Ew, that sucks; I've never experienced it, however.

Varaxael

09-10-2012

I'm currently waiting out a dodge lockout timer, so this thread is of great interest to me at the moment. =) My opinion is that the lockout period may need to be a bit longer; I see SO MANY dodges (at least in my Elo) at times that it takes me literally ten minutes to start a game. I myself rarely dodge, and when I do, the timer annoys me, but it doesn't seem to be strong enough to discourage an alarmingly increasing number of trolls who dodge because their team meta isn't "right" - or simply to get the champion they wanted.

The problem, however, may not lie with the dodge lockout timer, although the timer can (and is, I'm sure) address the issue. But, speaking as a LoL addict who recently created a "smurf" account, I think the ease of creating new accounts almost certainly contributes not only to the number of dodgers, but also to the general population of trolls, ragers, and jerks. There's not even a confirmation email sent to activate the new accounts, after all. So people may very well be dodging (or trolling) because they already have a 30 "smurf" account to shield them from the consequences of abusing others.

P.S. The trolls also know that players in Champion Select are helpless against them; we can't stop them, we can't report them - if they're willing to burn the match for the pathetic high of making people angry and frustrated, they can do so with impunity - and not even be punished if they keep their mouth shut during the match. Heck, I had one who was exquisitely polite, and even friendly, during the match, but did his best to sabotage the team in Champion Select.

vortical42

09-11-2012

I think the issue isn't so much the dodge penalty as it is the fact that the current system puts players into a no-win situation. If there is an obvious troll or some other situation that justifies dodging, there are two equally bad options. The first is that one player 'catches a grenade' and dodges. That player gets punished even though the other players probably wanted out as well. The other option is that no-one is willing to take the fall, so everyone has to suffer through 20 minutes of pain and most likely a hit to their ELO.

The solution then would be to have a system where the dodge penalty is spread between all the players who want to leave. Each person would have a vote option visible only to them. If 4 players vote to leave, everyone returns to the que and the penalty is divided evenly among those 4 players. Otherwise, the match is cancelled when the timer after the final pick expires, and the penalty is divided between any players who voted to leave. By doing this, you are still able to punish players who dodge for selfish reasons ('OMG mid or I feed' types) while giving players a way to escape from trolls and other assorted nasties.

Also note that even if everyone agrees to the dodge, there would still be a small penalty involved to discourage teams from abusing the feature to avoid playing a matchup that looks unfavorable.

Bromoner

09-12-2012

In society, when you want to reduce criminal behaviour, you reward good behaviour. Now, some societies believe that punishment is the right way to prevent bad behaviour... but study after study after study proves this not to be true.

We need to REWARD good behaviour of not dodging.

Other solutions include picking a role that you would like to play before the game starts. I know riot doesn't formally acknowledge the current meta... but it is just that, a necessity for most games. If we don't follow it, it's not like I can explain to 4 random people a new meta I just came up with. Much less expect them to have the champs and skills to fit those roles. Some roles will have an easier time getting games, good I say, then people will want to support from time to time and the ego trippers that only go mid and hold the game hostage will be "punished" with ridiculously long Queue times.

Give us a rating system at the end of a game, where we can award brownie points to those that have had a positive attitude. Note, that you wouldn't be able to downvote people with this system, only reward the good players. This would encourage community workmensship.

Edit: in WC3, which also had a Queue system, I ran into far less trolls, because people could pick their "races" before the game. Sure, you got trolls, but it didnt take 100 reports to get them banned, just 3 bad actions. Here, we have to deal with human egos. It will ALWAYS be a losing battle in that game.

Additionally, STOP, STOP, STOP playing with your RIOT tags on. We want you to SEE and FEEL the frustration. I KNOW for a FACT that you can not understand the level of grief this causes. Sure, you might play without it once or twice or even a day... but the option is always there to pop on your magic "riot" tags and, wow, everyone is friendly. This matter is urgent. All the bugs combined do not amount to the amount of annoyance and grief this causes (so why focus on them?). I can deal with Rengar having a glitchy Q, but everyone can't deal with being held hostage in a GAME. Your product is not worth it if you do not address the PRIMARY concern of a large chunk of your player base.

Pre-game chat is a free for all. We either sink or swim. We either magically all want things that help each other or had a bad couple of games and decide "mid or feed". We can not take this anymore... You will lose players sooner or later over this in droves. It's bad business! Money IS on the line over this. Your game could be addictive if this issue was just dealt with.

Jahpocalypse

09-12-2012

could we not get a queue dodge penalty when somebody just afk randoms... its really annoying to see support garen with smite...

Xenophobed

09-12-2012

Bring back the IP reward for playing games without dodgeing or leaving.

I remember you got a stackable IP reward at the end of every match based on how many matches you played without dodging or without leaving. This would reward people for not dodgeing and instead of scareing them by a penalty.

Reward them for doing the right thing. I believe the reward was 1 bonus IP for each match played without dodging or leaving. The reward would reset to 0 if you did dodge or leave however.

quitlolnowplz

09-13-2012

fix your matchmaking system and leveling system then you wont have so many people dodging due to the fear of a ****ty game with ****ty people.

XxTechN9nexX

Recruiter

09-13-2012

I think that since Riot has a censor for profane words that they should easily be able to crack down on people who are blatantly offensive(slurs and excessivecussing toward other players.)

Coleslaw

09-14-2012

Really. why do you ban people that dodge but you dont ban people that afk. I dont dodge normally but sometimes you know you are going to lose the game. I just got ban for 30 mins for dodging one ranked game where this person told us he was going to afk by spawn to protect the nexus. I dont mind a 5 min ban but 30 mins for the first one in a few days is out ragious. my advise is to just keep a 5 mins punishment for dodging. Also in the q my electricity when out and it counted as a a leaving game. Is this a glitch because i felt bad after that.