(Guide)AP Shaco: Toggle the Clown!

1234511 ... 26
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

T0ggle

11-15-2009

It has come to my attention that my buddys and people that play with me or against me have been asking me to teach them how to play shaco well.
So in this guide i'll be posting my skill path, item build, summoner spells, masteries, runebook and extra thoughts, but I will not be posting his Bio or skill tooltips because I feel that is a big waste of time.(For those of you who wish to know, shaco is my main.)

Rate my guide when your done reading it, and if you like it do me a favor, give thumbs down to all the trollers on my thread because its getting out of control.

With that being said here is the skill path I have chosen
1.jack in the box
2.two shiv poisen
3.two shiv poisen
4.decieve
5.two shiv poisen
6.hallucinate
7.two shiv poisen
8.jack in the box
9.two shiv poisen
10.jack in the box
11.hallucinate
12.jack in the box
13.jack in the box
14.decieve
15.decieve
16.hallucinate
17.decieve
18.decieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toggle
My top priority is two shiv poisen because its the best skill for any AP harasssment, getting 1 skill in jack in the box and decieve allows me to fear them before two shiving and having at least rank 1 in decieve so i can either chase them down or run away from a gank. Get hallucinate as soon as possible so that its easier to take down golem, and if your skilled enough you can utilize your double to launch devestating harassment on the enemy. If you are not doing well with hallucinate though, here are some tips. click your double and have him run in the direction your enemy is running, most commonly around a tower. the tower kills your double fast and if you played it right, you may just get an early kill. Or you can try it with this method, cast hallucinate in a bush, click the double and have him attack an enemy champion, they will think its the real you, attack it and get bombed.
On another note, after you place jack in the boxes, shiv the enemy when they get close enough to be fear'd, it makes it impossible to escape the turrets attacks. also if you decieve behind the enemy, jack in the box where hes going to run back to his tower, you can shiv him till he reachs your jack in the box, get feared and allow you to throw in another shiv. Another way of utilizing jack in the boxes is to stradegicly place them in the middle alley way of the map(near baron or dragon) to see when the enemy is coming to gank, or to counter gank them.
My item build consists of
regrowth pendant > philosophers stone (Late game sell this for a Haunting Guise)
boots of speed
mejai's soulstealer
sorcerer's boots
abyssal scepter (The Hybrid side of things would suggest you to buy lichbane instead)
zhonya's ring
banshee for survival or lichbane for more damage and speed. (if you already have lichbane, try infinity edge)
sell philosphers stone > get what ever suits you, hp regen, armor, etc.

Quote:
philosphers stone early game can have a large effect on your gold gain later in the game and give you all the HP/mana regen you'll be needing for the majority of the game. boots of speed because you don't want to spend all your money on sorcerers just yet, with boots you'll have decent speed to chase and retreat. mejai's soulstealer because if your skilled enough, you'll have its passive maxed out on ap before late game arrives. sorcerers boots to keep up with other players speed and make your spells hit harder. abyssal scepter because theres normaly always another anoying caster involved(60 magic resistance against) and the 20 magic pen aura helps you and your teamates significantly. zhonya's ring so that your ap count is at an all time high, and ready to really max out turret damage. banshee only if your having trouble with surviving and they seem to stun you a lot, but if surviving isn't a problem(for a skilled player) get lichbane and get more of those lovely kills. selling philosphers stone, well I rarely get to this point in the game, normaly they surrender by now, but the few times I have gone out this long into a game I got haunting guise.
Summoner spells
Ignite - people really underestimate this spell, at level 18 it deals nearly 500 damage, wich is a lot considering it can save you the trouble of running after someone early to late game. make sure you take your level and calculate the damage ignite will do before you use it, or make sure they have around 100hp or less exactly so that its in the bag.
(off thoughts, make sure they use their heal first before you waste ignite on accident, if you don't know if they have heal or not, go ahead and use it then, they might just forget they have heal.)
Heal - Really I only suggest this to noobs that need healing fast instead of over a period of time, not calling you a noob persay but i'm saying if your a noob shaco.
Rally - if your a skilled player and have rally masteries choose this over heal, it can really boost your ap late game and the healing your team needs to match.

Masteries - 21/0/9(the 9 in utility can be spent in defense, doesn't matter really)
3 deadlyness
1 archmage's savvy
4 sorcery
1 burning embers
1 archaic knowledge
3 sunder
3 brute force
1 improved rally
3 lethality
1 havoc
~
3 perseverence
1 good hands
4 awareness
1 utility mastery

Quote:
I choose to get things like crit, crit damage and armor pen because even as ap shaco regular hits can often crit and it will slightly boost decieve, burning embers and archaic knowledge will make those shiv hits hard, improved rally ive already explained somewhere, and havoc speaks for itself. the spells in utility are just a slight advantage.
Runebook
Marks 9 "Greater Mark of Insight" +0.95magic penetration each = 8.55!
Seals 9 "Greater Seal of Furor" +0.87Critical damage each = 7.83!
Glyphs 9 "Greater Glyph of Insight" +0.57magic penetration each = 5.13 !
Quintessences 3 "Greater Quintessence of Insight" +1.89magic penetration each = 5.67!
Our Total effect = +19.35magic penetration and +7.83Critical damage!

Quote:
The reason behind getting all this magic penetration is because it really helps you do full damage with your shiv, and it turns out whenever someone hits the negatives in magic resistance they take Increased magic damage! So try combining this with every other magic pen item in the game and you should manage 79.35magic penetration! assuming you grab void staff and masteries you should be packing an even greater 55% more magic penetration, try eating that tanks.
As for Seals go, I don't really care for small time ability power gain or cooldown reduction for that matter, but the extra 8(rounded off) crit damage with 10%masteries can leave your decieve dealing decent off damage that may help when someones about to run away. That and there aren't any magic penetration seals .
Early game tips
With jack in the box handy, go to any golem spot and post 4 turrets, then lure the golem with an attack to your turrets and post a rally, you may need to post a 5th turret after your 4 are dead. with this buff in hand go forth to your lane may it be top or bottom I don't usualy go mid, post some jack in the boxes strategicly.

Mid game tips
get philosophers stone as soon as possible to maximize its gold gain efficiency and get enough kills to get mejais soulstealer, also try to gank more often to help your team while getting mejai's passive increased. continue to kill golem as much as you can so that you can post jack in the boxes as much as you want.

Late game tips
Utilitze massing jack in the boxes stradegicly so that you can bait enemys into a solo gank. use decieve to run towards their base not the other way around, enemys normaly always go towards your base when chasing you, so if you teleport behind them, they end up running around aimlessly like idiots.

Here are some Screenshots i've put together to give you an idea on were to put those jack in the boxes. http://www.xfire.com/profile/farrisj/screenshots/

Video gameplay
Getting the Golem buff early on in the game -
As blue team http://www.xfire.com/video/18ff37/
As purple team http://www.xfire.com/video/1ab04a/
More will come....

Extra thoughts - Best combos with shaco are pro Fiddlesticks and/or amumu, fiddlesticks offers you double fear and his 16magic pen aura passive, while amumu offers 20magic pen passive on damage and stun/fear. But remember, do not and I cannot stress this out enough, do not duel stealth in any game ever. Learn from experience, if oracles can see jack in the boxes and your decieve, just imagine how useless 2 stealth players would be.
As for my reasons why AP shaco is better then AD, AP deals more damage then AD shaco if pulled off correctly.
AP shaco deals nearly 900+shiv, 1200+hallucinate and 300+jitb damage, going straight to their hp because of magic pen.(you do Increased damage if they hit negative magic resist, taking up to 20% more damage)
AD shaco deals(If you get up to 400attack damage)1000decieve, 400shiv, 600hallucinate, 125jitb, depending on if you have 50% crit damage runebook BUT shiv and hallucinate are reduced by half or more because you have no magic pen, and decieve+auto attacks are reduced by 50% if the enemy has 100+armor and decieves can be dodged.

Wall of shame
EnronTheGreat,LORDMERLIN69,inept,Panguss,makkii, Solution Nine,puddledive,Almighty1,Carleton

If you liked this guide take a look at my other guides -
Mordekaiser_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?p=724151
Nasus_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?p=173911
Teemo_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?p=650921
Nidalee_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=37420
Zilean_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=43341
Gragas_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?p=610365

MajorChipHazzard

11-15-2009

Pretty good guide, but some things I'd consider:

- Shaco has a LOT of quick cooldowns for Lich Bane to proc off of, and the most important part is that it essentially makes your deceive scale to your AP. I buy it after soulstealer personally but you're going to want it finished around the time your deceive hits level 4-5. When you're rocking l1 deceive it isn't all that great though. Once you get level 3-5 deceive it's going to effect your damage output much more than Z's ring or Abyssal scepter will.

- You don't really need hallucinate at level 6. I tend to level it at 10+11 since AP shaco needs a LOT of jack in the box and a lot of 2-shiv levels quickly. I think your skill build undervalues JitB, which is a big chunk of Shaco's killing power.

- Mention somewhere that AP shaco players should check on enemies' inventories using [tab] and buy the void staff if 2 or more enemies buy a decently strong magic resist item. I usually start building it the second I see a negatron cloak in someone's inventory.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything else though. It's about time I saw a decent AP shaco thread around here.

T0ggle

11-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorChipHazzard View Post
Pretty good guide, but some things I'd consider:

1 Shaco has a LOT of quick cooldowns for Lich Bane to proc off of, and the most important part is that it essentially makes your deceive scale to your AP. I buy it after soulstealer personally but you're going to want it finished around the time your deceive hits level 4-5. When you're rocking l1 deceive it isn't all that great though. Once you get level 3-5 deceive it's going to effect your damage output much more than Z's ring or Abyssal scepter will.

2 You don't really need hallucinate at level 6. I tend to level it at 10+11 since AP shaco needs a LOT of jack in the box and a lot of 2-shiv levels quickly. I think your skill build undervalues JitB, which is a big chunk of Shaco's killing power.

3 Mention somewhere that AP shaco players should check on enemies' inventories using [tab] and buy the void staff if 2 or more enemies buy a decently strong magic resist item. I usually start building it the second I see a negatron cloak in someone's inventory.

4 You pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything else though. It's about time I saw a decent AP shaco thread around here.
@1 - thats one idea, but abyssal scepter makes shiv attacks go straight to their hp, and the magic pen aura benifits the whole team. not to mention the magic resistance makes their magic harassment that much harder to hurt you. I get zhonya's ring and abyssal scepter for the main part because it also boosts my jack in the box damage, what you called me undermining so blatantly. when I get enough jack in the box damage its GG for the enemy, and jack in the boxes serve a bigger purpose then decieve with lich bane because it can be used for multiple enemys instead of focusing on just one. can't tell you how many times I killed 2-3 people with just 5 jack in the boxes posted in grass as I lay and wait for a bait.
@2 - if your skilled at using his hallucinate like I am, its best to grab this skill early on.
@3 - when you get archaic knowledge masterie you have 15% magic pen, thats good enough for me with all the items I grab for magic pen. besides this guide was originaly made for people that are going to combo with fiddle and/or amumu for maximum ap damage. On the subject of undermining the jack in the box ability, I don't use the boxes for sole damage early game, I use them for the fear, that combined with shiv allows me to get enough hits to ignite and finish off the enemy fast.
@4 - thanks man, good to hear positive feedback from the community.

Valthar

11-15-2009

SHaco is my main, and i completely agree with getting hallucinate. Well played it is basically a bomb.

I was doing up an AP guide for shaco as well, my build differs slightly from yours, but I believe we have something of the same play style. Though, I tend to get chalice instead of philo stone. few other differences.

Crazy Demon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2009

I'll definitely be trying this out later today, but I took the liberty of looking up your summoner profile. It made me chuckle because in your last ten games, every victory you've had was playing Shaco (with at least a 2:1 kill ratio) and every defeat you've had was playing another hero (and getting negative scores). Guess that show you know what you're doing with Shaco

T0ggle

11-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valthar View Post
SHaco is my main, and i completely agree with getting hallucinate. Well played it is basically a bomb.

I was doing up an AP guide for shaco as well, my build differs slightly from yours, but I believe we have something of the same play style. Though, I tend to get chalice instead of philo stone. few other differences.
shaco is my main aswell.
about the hallucinate, lol man I just premaded twice with some buddies and won both times, using hallucinate to bomb weak squishy champions hp.

chaice is a bad item my good chum, you can get magic resist from abyssal scepter or lich bane, and the mana regen is no problem if you keep getting golems like I posted. besides, that 5gold per 10seconds and hp regen is going to have a huge effect throughout the majority of your game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Demon View Post
I'll definitely be trying this out later today, but I took the liberty of looking up your summoner profile. It made me chuckle because in your last ten games, every victory you've had was playing Shaco (with at least a 2:1 kill ratio) and every defeat you've had was playing another hero (and getting negative scores). Guess that show you know what you're doing with Shaco
ya I tend to get around 20kills + as shaco and only like 5 or less deaths. even then those deaths are just me messing around, playing as shaco is somewhat hilarious.
but I do have nearly 60wins to 3 losses playing as shaco.

Phyrose

11-15-2009

I tried killing golem with rally at lv 1 and i couldnt 8(

Phyrose

11-15-2009

hey i have a suggestion... since this is a AP build, why not a frozen heart?

Mr Tibbers

11-15-2009

Because Frozen Heart isn't an AP Item? It's Armor, -CD, and some Mana. That's not to say it isn't good, but a good Shaco wouldn't be one who's standing there smacking you for god knows how long. You gotta stay out of situations where you'd need armor, imo. When I kill, I kill fast and leave. Every time.

T0ggle

11-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrose View Post
I tried killing golem with rally at lv 1 and i couldnt 8
hey i have a suggestion... since this is a AP build, why not a frozen heart?
Having trouble killing golem huh, you gotta place the turrets somewhere in the bushes where they won't attack the minions, then you have to lure the golem and just the golem towards the turrets, otherwise they will focus fire on a lesser minion and then stop attacking when hes dead. but if that doesn't work, try saving a 5th or 6th jack in the box to fear the golem when hes weak.
Frozen heart isn't really a suggestion, its out of the question, frozen heart is meant for tanks not assassins.(unless of course you count malphite, he is an assassin tank afterall)

Edit: just recently posted a video showing how i kill the golem early game in the guide.

1234511 ... 26