Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mxie

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirazy View Post
Let me lead with a question: are you really so selfish that you want Riot to break their word, their honor, their promise, to their customers, to satisfy your own covetousness?

You have only yourself to blame for not getting the Limited Edition skins that you could have acquired. You were here. You could have bought them. But you were not paying any attention, it seems. The announcements for these skins, announcements accessible from within the game-client itself, indicated that they were limited edition and not returning to the store when they went out of it.

It is your fault you do not presently own them. As you suggest we, who own them, should do, I suggest that you should pick up, move on, and get over the fact that you didn't have the foresight to buy them when they were available.
From what I've read (some guy put links in an earlier post), and what the red just told me, their promise was to not have them in the store.

Are you really so selfish that you won't let others enjoy something that you also enjoy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lady Gaga View Post
So to get things straight: You want to put the limited edition skins in the hands of the people that don't have them right now but want to work hard and make a positive impact on the community; as long as it preserves the exclusivity and rarity? May I ask why you can't simply create a new skin for these people to enjoy rather than alienating your established customers that have purchased skins for the purpose of their extreme rarity? Anything that makes them available again, even if for free, will detract from the rarity of these skins thus making the entire concept of limited edition worthless.

I own several Limited Edition skins, and I've never had doubts that they would remain limited edition until you started posting about this issue. In fact everything that Riot has posted prior to you coming on board has assured me they'd never be available again. Frankly yes I do think legally you would be in the clear to re-release them in the manner you suggested; however if something like that were to happen I can guarantee you would lose the support of at least 6 people that I know, including myself.

I don't like the concept of "Limited Edition" and I appreciate Riots efforts to get rid of it for all future skins; however I think that the skins that were declared Limited Edition need to remain as such. Limited Edition has been phased out, and that's a good thing; however I am strongly against any efforts to give in to the non-owners complaints and make any of these skins available again.

I've watched the "bring back x skin" threads through the years and have actively participated in a few of them. I am not doubting that there is a greater demand for the skins to come back than there is for the skins to remain exclusive; but I think Riot has made it clear they wont be coming back; which is the morally correct answer.

I liked most of your posts and ideas until you started talking about this topic... I hope you will make the right choice; but I've never had such a disheartened opinion of Riot until now. It feels very awkward for you to be coming into this position and even start discussing something so coveted; as before you started posting about this we had assurance from red posts that it would never happen. You've taken that from us and it doesn't feel very good.
I may feel very differently regarding whether or not the limiteds should be brought back, but I salute you for actually providing a polite case as to why you think that. And I do agree that the idea of limited skins isn't a good one. I totally understand the idea of wanting people to keep promises, which is why I was hesitant to enter the discussion at all, but they did leave themselves a loophole, and I know I would appreciate some way of getting them.

ThaLaughingMan

09-12-2012

Quote:
Let me lead with a question: are you really so selfish that you want Riot to break their word, their honor, their promise, to their customers, to satisfy your own covetousness?

You have only yourself to blame for not getting the Limited Edition skins that you could have acquired. You were here. You could have bought them. But you were not paying any attention, it seems. The announcements for these skins, announcements accessible from within the game-client itself, indicated that they were limited edition and not returning to the store when they went out of it.

It is your fault you do not presently own them. As you suggest we, who own them, should do, I suggest that you should pick up, move on, and get over the fact that you didn't have the foresight to buy them when they were available.
You act like somehow this ever happening is going to change the direction of you're life. It really doesn't bother me much man, I was just stating my opinion. With how emotional you seem about the whole ordeal, seems like you need to pick up and get a life.

Addition: It's a customer/fan driven game in a consumer based world and the majority of the community seems willing to toss a lot of revenue at RIOT for a digital skin(s) that has no real significance in how life is lived on a day to day bases. Get over yourself. Are you not willing to allow RIOT to do as they please with their product to put more smiles on the faces of their customers while making more funds to enhance the game? Are you that petty to quit playing because someone else wants to use a digital skin in a video game? Really? I mean, they've shown that they'll do as they please (Diana, Lux) before and I think they have the right to do what they feel is best for the future of this game in this issue.

Pratz Strike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2012

Quote:

Are you really so selfish you'll throw a fit over the very idea? That you'll say that people who want something that they never had a chance to get are 'selfish'? "I have this, it's special, you can't have it, despite it not costing me anything for you to have it and not devaluing mine in any way?"

That word, selfish. It doesn't mean what you're using it for.

Mayzhen

09-12-2012

I'm personally finding the attitudes that some of these people having regarding the 'No don't let this happen!' very unfortunate, rather than politely explaining this that or the other, even finding middle ground that's agreeable.

Not saying the opposing side hasn't had any attitude problems, themselves. But still...wow

Agam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-12-2012

Quote:

Son6of6dawn6 is advicating for others. How is having others in mind selfish? lol Also, answer his question about you being that selfish.

The Lady Gaga

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxie View Post
From what I've read (some guy put links in an earlier post), and what the red just told me, their promise was to not have them in the store.

Are you really so selfish that you won't let others enjoy something that you also enjoy?
Salesman: Come buy this exclusive limited edition skin! We will never sell it or anything like it again!

Consumer: Awesome! So you say it will never be sold again?

Salesman: Right! We will never sell it again.

- a year later -

Non-Owner Consumers: I want that Limited Edition Skin that was sold a year ago! I am not selfish, the owners are selfish for not letting me have it.

Owner Consumers: Sorry they said it would never be sold again. You missed your chance unfortunately. Wait, let me just double check with the salesman! You confirm that it will never be sold again right? It's Limited Edition and was marketed as something that will remain rare forever?

Salesman: Yep! We've even redefined our skin system since our consumers have displayed a dislike of Limited Edition skins. We aren't going to sell those anymore, but the ones that were Limited Edition already will remain that way.

- a year later -

Salesman: Hey you can all have that limited edition skin we were selling years ago for free if you make a positive impact in our game or get some achievements. We aren't selling it to you so it's legally and morally okay to us!

I would never want to do business with a company with such a warped sense of right and wrong. There's a reason people tell you to read the fine print of contracts and such. There are people out there that will word things in such a way that lets them get away with some pretty ugly things legally. While morality remains relative to the eyes of each individual... I think most people would agree that people that do things like that are snakes. Being a snake isn't always a bad thing, but in this case it is.

Another thing to note is because so many people don't own the skin compared to the number of people that do, the posts in defense of Limited Edition skins not being re-released will almost always get down voted into oblivion. As noted here for this post; which pretty clearly takes the entire story as it has played out in plain English. Mob mentality is dangerous.

Mxie

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayzhen View Post
I'm personally finding the attitudes that some of these people having regarding the 'No don't let this happen!' very unfortunate, rather than politely explaining this that or the other, even finding middle ground that's agreeable.

Not saying the opposing side hasn't had any attitude problems, themselves. But still...wow
It's not universal, some have a legitimate complaint of not liking the idea of Riot going back on their word. I can totally understand that, though I myself am not a fan of limited content, and I have owned enough of it to realize that it doesn't really matter if someone else gets it. Others can feel differently, of course, and they are perfectly entitled to their feelings.

As to the negative guys... well, maybe eventually they'll just get downvoted, or at least ignored. There is a fair bit of civil conversation going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lady Gaga View Post
Salesman: Come buy this exclusive limited edition skin! We will never sell it or anything like it again!

Consumer: Awesome! So you say it will never be sold again?

Salesman: Right! We will never sell it again.

- a year later -

Non-Owner Consumers: I want that Limited Edition Skin that was sold a year ago! I am not selfish, the owners are selfish for not letting me have it.

Owner Consumers: Sorry they said it would never be sold again. You missed your chance unfortunately. Wait, let me just double check with the salesman! You confirm that it will never be sold again right? It's Limited Edition and was marketed as something that will remain rare forever?

Salesman: Yep! We've even redefined our skin system since our consumers have displayed a dislike of Limited Edition skins. We aren't going to sell those anymore, but the ones that were Limited Edition already will remain that way.

- a year later -

Salesman: Hey you can all have that limited edition skin we were selling years ago for free if you make a positive impact in our game or get some achievements. We aren't selling it to you so it's legally and morally okay to us!

I would never want to do business with a company with such a warped sense of right and wrong. There's a reason people tell you to read the fine print of contracts and such. There are people out there that will word things in such a way that lets them get away with some pretty ugly things legally. While morality remains relative to the eyes of each individual... I think most people would agree that people that do things like that are snakes. Being a snake isn't always a bad thing, but in this case it is.
Yeah, morality is a difficult thing to judge. I can't help but wonder how I would feel in your shoes. Though I do say so myself, I think I normally have a pretty decent moral center, I just feel in this regard that making things available for others to enjoy is a better thing than keeping them locked up. Perhaps my feelings on it have been warped by the fact that I want one of the skins, who knows; I'll certainly think on it.

I can say that, if they did give me a way to get them, I would not want it to be easy and definitely not for free*. I would work for it, I would want to work for it. I would gladly take on any Herculean tasks they ask of me for a skin. If that happened, then anyone that had one of them would either be an old school player, or one with a lot of dedication (or whatever else Riot would want to measure). Either way, it would still be a respect thing.

*For a given value of free. They won't sell them, but I wouldn't mind dumping a ridiculous amount of IP into them, for example (in addition to other things).

TaironLocke

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post

I feel your pain there, but that is definitely a lot to ask. I can't think of many examples in the history of software or gaming where refunds were given to people who purchased a product months or years before a price reduction.
You did it with my dodge runes. Why not for champs?

The Çontender

09-12-2012

I own most of the skins and if they make people happy I just say let them buy it. Doesn't make sense for every skin to have the capability to come back except for about 10 of them. But I have my skins regardless.

What makes things truly rare is price. Riot should bring them back but for about 1400 rp or something.

TaironLocke

09-12-2012

Why cant I buy runes with RP? That would be better for a newsummoner than buying champs. You cant get the full experience of this game without them. My buddy is LV.25 and his runes are absolutely useless. Especially if you buy XP boost. Then you are FORCED to buy IP boost as well? I have been buying runes with almost all my IP for like two years of consistent play and have (proudly I might add) bought almost all your champs with my hard earned money but I dont have the runes to supplement these purchases. Lots of champs need specific rune sets just for them. I would have 20 pages easy if it were up to me. I think allowing people to buy runes and more pages would help the people who wanna take it more serious. If that hurts people who aren't taking its serious, sorry but who cares? You arent taking it serious.

What really gets me though is I wanna give you MOAR MONEY and you don't want it. What gives? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!