Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reiver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyshn View Post
What is the reasoning behind saying that all old holiday skins are Limited, but any new ones that might come out later are only Legacy? That feels strange to me.
Because they wanted to give themselves the ability to rerelease holiday skins, but at the same time they had said that the old ones wouldn't be coming back.

They didn't want to cause massive outrage by bringing back the skins that they had said wouldn't come back, so instead they simply said that all future holiday skins have a possibility of coming back, but the old ones we already said are never coming back will stay that way.

Agam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-12-2012

Honestly, how many people DON'T want the skins to come back? When people says, "Bring the holiday skins back," there are only like 5 negative votes on it.

Mxie

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulking View Post
That's because they lack common sense to do it, come on they only have to do cumulative achievements that come on naturally:

- Deal XX damage
- Heal XX HP
- Kill XX minions with auto attacks
- Kill XX minions with abilities
- Kill XX jungle creeps

They can even set them by level:

- Novice Fighter: Deal 100000 damage
- Fighter: Deal 10000000 damage
- Relentless Fighter: Deal 50000000 damage
- Endless Fighter: Deal 100000000 damage
- Infinity Fighter: Deal 500000000 damage
- ETC...
They probably want to do something more interesting than that, is my guess. I mean, those are achievements, but I find them... well, boring. I get the whole "achievement rush" thing, but without anything really interesting in addition to those, I think achievements would just be a glorified stats page.

Just my opinion though, some people would probably love that. I guess Riot just doesn't think enough would to warrant doing it.

Vulking

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agam View Post
Honestly, how many people DON'T want the skins to come back? When people says, "Bring the holiday skins back," there are only like 5 negative votes on it.
The 5 people that always come here and say how they would stop playing LoL if this happened, even when the people that would indeed buy the skin would give Riot a much larger income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxie View Post
They probably want to do something more interesting than that, is my guess. I mean, those are achievements, but I find them... well, boring. I get the whole "achievement rush" thing, but without anything really interesting in addition to those, I think achievements would just be a glorified stats page.

Just my opinion though, some people would probably love that. I guess Riot just doesn't think enough would to warrant doing it.
The problem is that if you do something more "creative" you get in the gameplay alteration problem, that's why other games DONT do those "creative" achievements, because those are the source of most problems.

Mxie

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agam View Post
From my intuitive sense of the matter that I've gained by glancing at this thread every once in a while, the thing that is holding Riot back isn't the people saying "but I want to feel special," it's that Riot made a promise.

I could be horribly wrong though. There are a few incredibly venomous posts from people insisting that they stay unavailable.

Edit: Wow, I'm from the future!

Kirazy

09-12-2012

This thread is alarming. I find it appalling that you are seriously considering a way to violate Riot's word, to re-release skins that were never to be re-released.

Do a majority of the playerbase clamor for their re-release? OF course. Why wouldn't they? It's something they can't have, they see it, they want it, they feel entitled to it even though they either were not there, did not buy it, or did not meet the qualifications for it.

I have a number of the limited edition skins. I would be beyond outraged if they were re-released, for purchase, or for free as some achievement reward. No one is entitled to these skins. On the contrary, owners of these skins are entitled to their rarity. We were promised they would not be re-released. Riot even worked hard to clarify their position, and establish a new order that would satisfy legal requirements going forward.

These skins are heavily coveted. They are a status symbol. They are rare. They denote how long a player has been with the game, they have enormous value due to their limited edition status. I am flabbergasted and offended that you think you can buy my support with 10%-25% of total RP sales. I am angry and outraged that you think you can use a "legal loophole" to release them for free as an achievement reward of some kind.

I am surrounded, in this thread, by people who greedily desire these skins, attack anyone who defends their rarity, taunts and mocks those of us who insist that Riot honor their word and their intent. You may be able to find a legal loophole that would protect you from lawsuits, but should you?

You're new. Stop this madness.

Further, releasing a re-color of any of these skins would be offensive and obscene, a tongue-in-cheek slap in the face to those of us who own these skins. It should not be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Haha I love that that's the first question. The only overlords I answer to are sitting here in Santa Monica, CA, USA and they all care way more about the game and the players than about making money.
I'm glad they do. So you should quickly, and efficiently, put to rest any thought of re-releasing these Limited Edition skins, yes?

The Lady Gaga

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Just to clarify, even though it's likely a moot point now, the idea was to give 10-25% of the TOTAL RP sales of a re-release to the original buyers. Because LoL has way more players now than when those skins came out, I would expect we would have sold more this time around and therefore the payouts to original buyers would have been more in the range of 500-5000 RP, depending on the skin.

The promise Riot made was never to sell Limited Edition skins, but we never made a promise not to give them away for free under the right circumstances. It would take some time to come up with a good plan for this, but they could be used as an ultimate reward to players who make LoL a better game for a long period of time (through in-game behavior, tribunal usage, # of games played and/or RP purchased), which it sounds like you do. I believe that strategy would be acceptable legally, ethically, morally, logically, etc. It would just be complex to do it right, to ensure that we preserve the exclusivity and rarity of these skins while rewarding the right people with the skin that they care most about. I will give this more thought in the coming weeks.
So to get things straight: You want to put the limited edition skins in the hands of the people that don't have them right now but want to work hard and make a positive impact on the community; as long as it preserves the exclusivity and rarity? May I ask why you can't simply create a new skin for these people to enjoy rather than alienating your established customers that have purchased skins for the purpose of their extreme rarity? Anything that makes them available again, even if for free, will detract from the rarity of these skins thus making the entire concept of limited edition worthless.

I own several Limited Edition skins, and I've never had doubts that they would remain limited edition until you started posting about this issue. In fact everything that Riot has posted prior to you coming on board has assured me they'd never be available again. Frankly yes I do think legally you would be in the clear to re-release them in the manner you suggested; however if something like that were to happen I can guarantee you would lose the support of at least 6 people that I know, including myself.

I don't like the concept of "Limited Edition" and I appreciate Riots efforts to get rid of it for all future skins; however I think that the skins that were declared Limited Edition need to remain as such. Limited Edition has been phased out, and that's a good thing; however I am strongly against any efforts to give in to the non-owners complaints and make any of these skins available again.

I've watched the "bring back x skin" threads through the years and have actively participated in a few of them. I am not doubting that there is a greater demand for the skins to come back than there is for the skins to remain exclusive; but I think Riot has made it clear they wont be coming back; which is the morally correct answer.

I liked most of your posts and ideas until you started talking about this topic... I hope you will make the right choice; but I've never had such a disheartened opinion of Riot until now. It feels very awkward for you to be coming into this position and even start discussing something so coveted; as before you started posting about this we had assurance from red posts that it would never happen. You've taken that from us and it doesn't feel very good.

Sineile

09-12-2012

My suggestion for the IP issue is aimed primarily at those who don't have time each day to play, but do have maybe an entire weekend to dedicate to playing/farming IP.

What if players got a bonus for completing games in succession? For example, complete one game, if you start another game within an hour, that game gives you 25% bonus IP. If you complete that game, if you start a game within the next hour, it rewards an additional 35% IP. If this was set at a cap, maybe like 75%, players would be rewarded for playing consistently. The numbers would obviously need to be tweaked, but something like that might help alleviate a lot of the IP woes players have about not being able to purchase a number of champions and be competitive.

Another suggestion, what if players got a smaller, additional reward for winning a game, beyond the "More IP for wins" that they get already? What if players got some additional form of currency, call it a token or coin or what have you, but that could only be spent on runes? Maybe a rune might cost two Victory Tokens, and a Quintessence costs 5. Maybe as players play they can spend these to unlock rune pages, much like IP does, but at a slightly faster rate and without having to feel like they need to unload 12k IP to just get a complete jungle page.

What if players who can't play more then 1-2 games per day still want to gain IP in a somewhat timely manner. What about some way of rewarding them for playing consistently, if only once a day. In the same vein as the above IP gain increase for consecutive games, what about for consecutive days? For example if you play one game Monday, you gain a static 5% increase in IP for the next 24 hours. If you play a game on that day, the bonus increases to 10% for the following day. If this was capped at something reasonable, or increased slowly that could help out a lot of loyal players. But to avoid penalizing them for missing a day too severely (Since real life does and Will occur) what about each day they miss playing a game they lose 10% from their boost? Or whatever amount is equivalent to two days of consecutive play.

Just for the record, I'm not posting these suggestions as a player who needs the bonus IP from a system like this, although it would be nice, but as a player who would like to help keep the game thriving, and lowering the barrier of entry that might make new players hesitant to start. I've spent upwards of $600 on this game, I've unlocked 18 or so rune pages and every champion except one and many many skins, so this isn't just a post of suggestions to help myself out.

ThaLaughingMan

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stexe View Post
The simple fact that so many people bring up the subject of Limited Edition skins and them not being sold again indicates that it means something. Just remember the people who have purchased LE skins have been with LoL for a long time and they are your loyal customer base.
This does not mean that some of us who have been playing the game for a long time may not want some of these L.E. skins. Maybe I'm a rare case or some of the rude individuals in this community would just call me "stupid" for not doing so, but I just started frequenting the forums a few months ago and knew nothing about L.E. skins. At the time, I had no idea I would never have a chance at obtaining say "Bewitched Nidalee", which I really want and just didn't have the money to toss into the game at the time and have NEVER been shy of doing, after six months from it's release. Not like there was any L.E. warnings on the client or anything. Maybe I would have tried to act faster. I've been a friendly summoner and have invested a good amount of cash into this game over the past two years and a half because I enjoy it so much.

I know RIOT made a "promise" that they would never release these skins again and I feel in one hand that needs to be respected. On the other hand, to withhold content from a game that so many love to death because some other people wish to feel special with a skin I doubt they ALL use EVERY TIME they play just seems a little selfish to me. I've gown up getting over petty broken promises and life does go on. I thought this game was meant for people to enjoy to the fullest? Are people really that selfish that it would kill them to see someone else using a skin? Hipp even brought up giving compensation for it. I understand both sides, but this is how I feel on the subject.

Keeping the L.E. a rarity is something I can respect. Earning them through higher circumstances would be something I feel would be great for all with the compensation to the original purchasers. Keeping them out of the game for good just seems dull to me. I have a few of them myself and could care less if others have access to them if it makes them happy while enjoying the game that much more. More power to the fellow summoner.

Be well all.

Kirazy

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son6of6dawn6 View Post
I know RIOT made a "promise" that they would never release these skins again and I feel in one hand that needs to be respected. On the other hand, to withhold content from a game that so many love to death because some other people wish to feel special with a skin I doubt they ALL use EVERY TIME they play just seems a little selfish to me. I've gown up getting over petty broken promises and life does go on. I thought this game was meant for people to enjoy to the fullest? Are people really that selfish that it would kill them to see someone else using a skin? Hipp even brought up giving compensation for it. I understand both sides, but this is how I feel on the subject.
Let me lead with a question: are you really so selfish that you want Riot to break their word, their honor, their promise, to their customers, to satisfy your own covetousness?

You have only yourself to blame for not getting the Limited Edition skins that you could have acquired. You were here. You could have bought them. But you were not paying any attention, it seems. The announcements for these skins, announcements accessible from within the game-client itself, indicated that they were limited edition and not returning to the store when they went out of it.

It is your fault you do not presently own them. As you suggest we, who own them, should do, I suggest that you should pick up, move on, and get over the fact that you didn't have the foresight to buy them when they were available.