Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stexe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnygma View Post
Because someone like me who started January of this year has no way of ever getting those limited edition skins simply because I wasn't around when they were available. Make them a day-only sale or a special event but to say "ha ha, you weren't around 2 years ago so you can't get Silent Night Sona SUCKER!" is kind of unfair
It isn't unfair. That is a badge people wear for being here a long time and supporting this game when it was in its infancy.

It is no different from getting a special badge each year for being at a convention or something.

Skyhawke

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post

I doubt we would do this for free, but maybe we would put name changes on sale if there was enough interest. Who else wants this??
I would be interested! I think the person who mentioned this was right about not giving a lot of thought into the name at the beginning. When I first played, I wasn't even sure I was going to be playing beyond that night. Little did I know that I would soon come to love the game and invest so much time and thought into it. I like my name okay, but wouldn't mind a switch up to something more original or clever.

Oberic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
No plans at this time but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. What are some examples of games where you think this is being done well?
I'm not really sure honestly, the closest things I can think of are RPGs and other similar games where you no longer need a piece of equipment, so you sell it.

I can't think of a game where you buy something like skins with real money and can freely sell them back (for the appropriate currency of course, in LoL's case, RP).
But I haven't done much research, honestly. There may be games that do something like it, but I don't know 'em.

Thezyzyva

09-05-2012

Hippalus, first off I love that you (and Riot in general) are doing these things, I think it's great that even the guy in charge of making money deals with the customers. You're probably going to catch a ton of flak for things but I just find it pretty awesome that you're doing this anyways. Glad to see Tryn wasn't lying when he said changes were coming.

That said, are you actually looking for some suggestions on HOW to change things or mostly trying to catch what players feel NEED to be changed? Personally I feel like there are plenty of little things that could be implemented eventually (I don't think the code exists at all atm) but don't want to waste all our time if it would just fall on deaf ears.

Now, I'm seeing your most recent post (at my time of typing) and I need to disagree about a few things. First, you say most players are concerned about rune page pricing over runes. While that may be true of veteran players, I think the pricing of runes is a fairly large hurdle to new players. I've played LoL for quite awhile now but never consistently and never very often, so I'm not even level 30 yet, but having to spend such an absurd amount of IP on runes just for one champion I like is a little off putting. Heaven forbid I choose to enjoy a mage AND an ADC. Just to feel on par with people who play more often I need to sink more IP into runes than it would take to get a champ I really want. Whether or not that's the reality of the situation, the impact of runes, the perception alone makes me feel discouraged. And I'd bet many newer/less active players feel the same. And no doubt we can agree that's not good for the health of the game.

Secondly, for the free champion rotation, I think it really does need to be increased to 12 some time soon. Again I feel it's very important for new players to feel like they can really get into the game. I was lucky enough to start when Rumble was on his first free week and I loved everything about him. I easily could have joined some other week where I didn't like the look of anything and could only look at every champion that was greyed out in envy. Now it's even worse for newcomers with even more characters blocked out. It's just incredibly intimidating. (And the high price of so many doesn't help but I'm sure thats on your list of fixes for sooner rather than later) It simply makes sense to me that since the number of champs has grown so significantly, so too should the number easily available.

Sorry for the wall of text, only want to share my thoughts in detail. Hope you read it and think it over, and thank you again for doing this. Most salesmen are way too weasily, glad to see one with some humanity!

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

09-05-2012
12 of 26 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habimaru View Post
Now, whilst it may not be necessary to spend money in order to become «competitive» in LoL, I do feel like it IS necessary to spend money in order to become «competitive» for Ranked/Draft-Mode Matches if you wish to be able to do it in less than 3 years since first creating your account, otherwise, absolutely not, I feel like I would NOT be able to play Ranked Matches Competitively within less than 3 years time of starting LLegends without spending money in order to accomplish that objective, and I am sure many other people feel the same way, too.
I understand this perception, but as I mentioned yesterday, our ELO data does not support this at all. Maybe it's because players who spend less money focus on playing fewer champions and are more effective with them as a result, which offsets the benefit of having access to more champions and rune pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naland View Post
What do you mean by players who pay will be able to leverage their time more effectively though?
Spending RP lets players leverage their time more effectively by increasing the rate at which they can earn IP (through boosts) and by freeing up IP that would otherwise go to champions. We track the ELO data mentioned earlier to ensure that this doesn't effect competitive balance, and to this point, there is no evidence that it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazgar View Post
You talked about additional customisation for those who spend RP, does this mean we'll get the option to buy new icons or themes?
Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Virtue View Post
Is there any actual reason why the $100 RP Purchase is temporary? I could definitely see myself buying something like that but not within the next few days when it's available. Is it just there to collect data and see how many people actually purchase that much RP?
It is temporary because there is a risk that it will prove too attractive for credit card fraudsters or create some other problem that I wasn't smart enough to see in advance. If no such problem emerges, and if players like having that option, we'll consider making it permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazlyn View Post
Can we see some other customization options for sale in the future? I'd love to see Nation/Region themed icons/profile banners. It makes me sad that the different in-game powers (Demacia, Ionia, ect) don't actually mean anything. I want to be able to wear and display my Piltover pride on my summoner profile.

Having the nations actually mean something would be awesome, and encourage support/rivalry/whatever between factions. Which, I think, could be fun.
There are so many cool customization options like this that will take time to develop but will undoubtedly be worth it if we do it right. Please keep ideas like this coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clerigon View Post
Hi, does riot have any plan to expand the game to other countries? im talking about using more local currencies. the $ and € are not accessible currencies in a lot of countries. This will shut down those ppl who are making a lot of money using this method, go to usa and spend $800 in riot point them sell that in other countries, so they gain like 200-300%
There has been a fairly steady pace of expansion into new countries and I don't see any reason for that to come to an end any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLoLer View Post
I was wondering, if we had purchased these champions before the reductions, will we be receiving compensation for what we originally paid vs what they worth now? In other words, will I be getting some of my IP/RP back?
If you purchased those champions (and/or RP) in the past few days, you should contact Player Support and see if they can help you. For future promotions/reductions, I will have a better plan to handle these situations more proactively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldgeist View Post
Do you see a risk that any price reduction strategy might lead to a reluctance to purchase content, because you foster the expectation that it might suddenly become cheaper at any point in the future?
Yes - that is a risk, but if the strategy is clearly understood in advance, then players would have the info they need to make that choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTehKing View Post
I have a Wal-Mart gift card sitting around with just over $100 left on it. If I purchase $100 worth of RP cards in $10 or $25 denominations will the 4,000 RP bonus be applied to my account? I'd like to take advantage of this sale, but I don't think I'll bother if I can't use some leftover birthday funds.
Hmm, you could definitely get the bonus RP on each $25 purchase, but no, I don't think you could get the 4,000.

Redeemed In Fire

09-05-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2549978

I know you probably can't comment on it but want to bring it to Riot's attention so it doesn't end up with no comment after 2 weeks and Hurricane Raeg-community doesn't tear through these parts.

Shosuko

09-05-2012

Wow - great attitude, and thx for answering all these questions.

I do own several limited and legacy skins. I am a collector of types, and really appreciate that I am able to play with skins new players may have never seen, and even experienced players may not see so often.

That said - I also (again for being a collector type) really regret missing some of the skins. I currently own every Annie skin, including the goth annie which cost me 30 dollars... I owned everything the pack had and bought it anyway to have the skin... I also own every Amumu skin except his christmas one.

There are some older event skins that I would pay a killing to get... idk what the balance would be, but perhaps if there were some re-release of them (maybe on a similar future event) my main requests would be higher pricing and again limited availability so that these skins are for the true skin connoisseur... As much as I want hockey jax, regift amumu, pumpkin head fiddle, ect... I also do not want them on EVERY jax, amumu, and fiddle... I like that they are special.

Honestly - if their exclusivity cannot be maintained through some method to allow the purchase while also restricting it's abundance, I'd rather go without ALL previous missed skins to keep the awesome ones I have special.

edit - one way you could maintain their exclusivity is to have them available as a "set" on future events. So you could buy the '09 Christmas set. You couldn't just cherry pick a skin, all or nothing. This way certain skins won't be prevalent b/c it was re-released b/c the ppl who pick it up would have to buy them all.

Dreampod

09-05-2012

I'd definitely be in favour of Limited Edition skins being re-adjusted to be seasonal access each year. While I understand that some people like the exclusivity of them I feel that ultimately the quality (or return for you guys) is going to diminish on them when a LE skin gets boosted sales for 3 weeks compared to the initial bump and steady sales for 3 years that non-limited skins get. That is throwing away profit and broad customer satisfaction to make a tiny population of hipsters happy whose primary valuing of them is it shows that are oldschool and were involved before the game became popular. Being only available for a couple weeks a year would maintain much of their exclusivity but allow the (millions of) newer players a chance to own them too. You could even bump their prices after their first season in the same way Pulsefire Ezreal did to help keep them feeling notable and scarce feeling without having them continue to be exclusionary.

Also you should particularly give another purchase window for the Christmas '09 skins because no one at Riot actually clarified that 'seasonal' skins were only going to be available for a single season rather than every appropriate season.

Assyrianlegend

09-05-2012

hippalus with all do respect, and a question that i HATE To ask but how long do you think it will take before we start seeing these changes being implemented. i understand that it has to be researched and you don’t have a glass orb that tells you all of this however the ideas that you have supported so far and mentioned that there is a chance that might change is too good to be true! i mean you are on the brink of being my favorite rioter in just 1 day lol. this isn’t going to be another stealth remake is it

thanks for reading and responding to our concerns.

Gammaran

09-05-2012

@Hippalus how about champion specific bundles, for example: Lee Sin, it would bring one have all the skins released to date