Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rumples

09-05-2012

Do you guys take into consideration how frustrating it is for a long time player to watch you reduce all the old champs that we already paid for?

DrMrStark

09-05-2012

Hey, Hippalus.
The Yordle in your icon is named, "Billy Bob."
Morello said that's canon at PAX last weekend, when asked about the shopkeeper Yordle's name.
Just thought you ought to know...

Phyrexia

09-05-2012

Quote:
rumples:
Do you guys take into consideration how frustrating it is for a long time player to watch you reduce all the old champs that we already paid for?

It's no more frustrating than watching any other video game, or hell, most any other product reduce in price over time.

That hot new video game at Gamestop or on Steam? Give it a year or two and I doubt it will be at the same price.

That sweet looking car that just came out this year? Seriously doubt it's going to keep that price tag in 2 years.

Masik

09-05-2012

Quote:
rumples:

Time = money.

You may have paid more but you also had much longer access for doing so.

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

09-05-2012

Quote:
Bright Shadows:
Are there any plans to change rune pricing, or power? Right now, a lot of the weaker runes (crit damage, hp/lvl marks, mixed pen) are very expensive (7290IP per set) and that's really, really strange.

There are no plans to change rune pricing anytime soon. You have a good point, but players seem more concerned with rune page and champion pricing, so I'm focusing there first.

Quote:
2xHero:
I understand that this question probably goes beyond the boundaries of eCommerce, but are you aware of any plans to adjust the free champion rotation? There are over 100 champions now, and with only 10 in rotation per week, players sometimes have to wait months to try "that one" champion. This is very frustrating when considering purchasing a 6300 IP champion, and lower priced champions are frequently in the rotation. I have noticed that the rotation is getting better at including champions more equally now, but it still is irritating to have to wait more than 2 months to try a champion.

We have taken steps to improve the selection of champions in the rotation (glad you noticed!), but no, there are no current plans to change the number of champions. In our surveys, most players think the rotation works well today, and there are bigger player concerns to solve.

Quote:
Rezuul:
what are your thoughts on giving everyone a 1-use free name change? A lot of our old/new users start the game with a lot of excitement under their belt, and can often in their haste pick a name that they later on feel rather stupid about.

I doubt we would do this for free, but maybe we would put name changes on sale if there was enough interest. Who else wants this??

Quote:
Hito Ryo Don:
What about the idea of re-releasing old holiday skins? There was a lot about the Christmas skins from when the game was first released (Silent Night Sona <3) way back when but it's been buried in the threads of GD.

That being said, I suppose that touches the subject of Legacy Skins?

Yes, legacy/holiday skins are a major topic imy department now and I love all of the feedback in this thread over the past couple days. It is all being read and discussed.

Quote:
Oberic:
I got some skins a long time ago that I don't want, and other people probable have some too. Any plans to make some sort of a sell-back system?
Not full refunds of course, but something like "Sell skin for 30% of its value" would be great.

No plans at this time but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. What are some examples of games where you think this is being done well?

Quote:
DarrkWolfe:
Hippalus, would you be open to the idea of changing the way the 1 to 3 day IP boosts work so that they only work when you actually play the game?

That would make them pretty much identical to the per-win boosts, so I'm not sure that would make sense. And the per-day boosts are priced so you only have to play part of the day to make them more worthwhile than the per-win boosts. It's an added bonus if you don't sleep!

Koechophe

09-05-2012

Is there going to be any effort to make champion's prices reflect their skill level? I think it'd be cool if we could have some of the easier champs be 450, and some of the harder champs be 6300, but caitlyn is a lot easier than ashe, and poppy is probably one of the hardest people to play right (just my opinion)

Also, is it just me, or are ad carrys more expensive than most? I mean varus, draven, ezreal, vayne, and kogmaw are all 6300, and now cait and mf are 4800. Ashe is the only 450 carry, we have no 1350 carry, and corki is the only 3150 ad carry. It seems kind of silly that more than half of the carries are 6300, and that there's such little accessability for new players to get ad carry.

TheEnygma

09-05-2012

Quote:
Stexe:
As someone who owns every single Limited Edition skin, I really hope you do not make them available again. Legacy skins are different and should be made available when you feel it is appropriate.

Anyway, I remember having a lot of interesting talks with Moneypenny back in the day. She was really great so you have big shoes to fill! =)

EDIT: Yay, down votes for people who want LE skins. They said they would only be available once, why would they bring them back? Legacy skins are exempt because they stated they could come back for special reasons.

Because someone like me who started January of this year has no way of ever getting those limited edition skins simply because I wasn't around when they were available. Make them a day-only sale or a special event but to say "ha ha, you weren't around 2 years ago so you can't get Silent Night Sona SUCKER!" is kind of unfair

Edit: let me guess, I got downvoted by the LE skin owners? Typical.

Thornmaelstrom

09-05-2012

A few questions for my new favoritest Yordle:
1) Will the issue of secondary runes (e.g. Health-Per-Level Marks/Glyphs) having HIGHER prices than their primary counterparts be addressed? It is unintuitive that intentionally buying slot-inefficiency has a much higher cost.
2) If Tier 1&2 runes are removed (which they should be; they are both a trap and insignificant. having 1 slot for tier 1 runes provides INSIGNIFICANT benefit compared to 30 slots for tier 3; but if there was only one tier then you would merely have 1/30th of the total power, making your runic value increase linearly as you increase in levels.) What would happen to Tier 2.5 runes?
3) It was mentioned in the past (likely before you came to Riot) that the Rune Combiner might be receiving a rework, possibly with "recipes" that gave you greater control over the outcomes (e.g. always output an offensive-type rune, converted between flat & per/lvl, or 3 quints always gives a new quint) Is this being looked at?
4) Some runes are not only too expensive, but too niche. Is it possible that some runes could be combined ala the Expanded Mind Mastery? (Gives Mana/lvl or Energy), this could apply to Intellect/Acumen, Knowledge/Sapience, Replenishment/Meditation, and Clarity/Lucidity. Each of these pairs of runes accomplishes the same 'goal' (rune enhancement of secondary resources), but appeals to only a portion of the population of champions. If a new resource was added, do they have to get their own rune? Players shouldn't be punished for investing in generic Secondary Resource enhancement, for all champions that use viably rune-enhanced secondary resources. Clearly this only extends to Energy and not Fury/Heat/Ferocity, but this would be a welcome change. The biggest concern would be where those runes don't match up (Lucidity seals, but Clarity Glyphs+Quints? I trust the Designers are more than capable to handle this problem.)

P.S: I am very in favor of a sale on name-changes (I picked a random fantasy name because I had no idea I would fall in love with LoL when I made my account <.&lt, and not-so-much in favor of re-releasing Legacy skins. Holiday skins however could be allowed to come back once a year during their special event...

RoBoGeM

09-05-2012

I am curious on what the LoL team has to say about people selling things with league of legends products.

I have noticed since the game came out people making things such as t-shirts, custom teemo hats, cosplay costumes, prints at comic conventions (such as this one I own) and such for sale.

I would like to know where would you draw the line. Legally, people aren't supposed to sell any of it, but I know the time and effort to send a riot legal team to crush these guys is generally not worth the effort.

Do you send cease and desist orders? Do you want people to report unsolicited sales?

A few hypothetical scenarios:

-An artist at a comic convention sells Ahri prints, done in great quality with her own art style, profiting about 400-600 from it each convention, 2-3 times a year.

-Someone making custom LoL t-shirts to sell at a local tournament for little profit, mostly covering costs for supplies, using fan art, MAYBE including the LoL logo as well.

-Someone doing the same as above, but using art and/or the league of legends logo.

-Someone selling lots of shirts with LoL based art online on e-bay.

-Someone selling LoL cosplay costumes online for a couple of hundred each, making $4000 a month or so.

Now, here's another perspective on it. Would this be considered perhaps advertising at all in any of these scenarios? Would any of these scenarios even be positive to riot even if they're not making a single penny.

Please, I'd love to know the answer. (PS, not planning to sell anything myself, but I am just interested to hear an official answer since I'd like to support Riot to the best of my ability and need to know if buying these things really hurt you guys.)

TiKD

09-05-2012

Quote:
Mittor:
It's no more frustrating than watching any other video game, or hell, most any other product reduce in price over time.

That hot new video game at Gamestop or on Steam? Give it a year or two and I doubt it will be at the same price.

That sweet looking car that just came out this year? Seriously doubt it's going to keep that price tag in 2 years.

Have you ever bought a car? It loses 60% of it's retail value the moment you drive it off the lot.