Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dunkmaster Jon

09-05-2012

Hi Hippalus! Welcome to Riot and I'd just like to say I really like your outlook on business and everything regarding the company!

I'm an aspiring 2nd Year Business Management major at a university in Louisiana, and I was just wondering, what did you major in and all do get on this career path? It's something that truly interests me and I'd love to do something like what you're doing where i focus on business, but at the same time, care for the community of something (Not League, but oh god that'd be amazing.)

So as eCommerce Director, do you have any pointers for how to kind of get to where you are?

Thanks! And congratulations on your new position!

Boyahda

09-05-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:

I need to do more research there, and would appreciate input from those who own legacy skins.

As someone who owns:

Crimson Akali
Safari Caitlyn
Nightmare Cho'Gath
Red Baron Corki
Shamrock Malphite
Riot Nasus
Riot Graves
Frozen Shen
Emerald Taric
The Magnificent Twisted Fate

And maybe some others I cant remember. I, for one, would not mind at all if these skins came out of the vault again for a little while because I know how it feels to miss out on a good skin you really like. It really really sucks that I started playing much to late and missed a lot of the sweet skins. I would do terrible evil things to small animals for Highlander Tryndamere, Yellow Jacket Shen, Christmas Maokai, and Red Card/Kitty Katarina.

@Hippalus

If you somehow end up bringing some old legacies back for awhile, I'll buy you a steak dinner and as much beer as you want.

xephh

09-05-2012

My, I like you already.

let me work with u pls.

Sageoffire

09-05-2012

Quote:
ArchBossDaBossen:
As someone who owns:

Crimson Akali
Safari Caitlyn
Nightmare Cho'Gath
Red Baron Corki
Shamrock Malphite
Riot Nasus
Riot Graves
Frozen Shen
Emerald Taric
The Magnificent Twisted Fate

And maybe some others I cant remember. I, for one, would not mind at all if these skins came out of the vault again for a little while because I know how it feels to miss out on a good skin you really like. It really really sucks that I started playing much to late and missed a lot of the sweet skins. I would do terrible evil things to small animals for Highlander Tryndamere, Yellow Jacket Shen, Christmas Maokai, and Red Card/Kitty Katarina.

@Hippalus

If you somehow end up bringing some old legacies back for awhile, I'll buy you a steak dinner and as much beer as you want.

I envy you, for your envious green colored Emerald Taric

DarkerNectron

09-05-2012

Do you have any intention of reducing the cost of rune pages? 6300 always seemed a bit steep for an extra rune page and has always been the one thing that I've felt to be over priced. Any player intending to have any variety in ranked needs at least a rune page for every role and the runes to fill them. Fitting a rune page has always been the one area that I feel new players are at a non-skill based disadvantage in terms of ability to compete. E.G. one of my friends plays on average once a day for the IP bonus, has about 20 champion, and 3 rune pages, even after a year his only set of quintessences is flat-HP.

retched

09-05-2012

Quote:
I think most players would love this but I'd want to be sure we live up to the commitment made when those skins were put into the legacy vault. In other words, did we set an expectation for some skins that they would never be available again? I need to do more research there, and would appreciate input from those who own legacy skins.

What about something along the lines of a "legacy skin code" which will allow a player to pick up a retired skin? It can be code given away only at conventions (similar to PAX skins) or any other major event where Rioters flock to. This would leave it pretty exclusive to players who own a legacy skin or require people who want one to attend a major event.

Sageoffire

09-05-2012

Quote:
retched:
What about something along the lines of a "legacy skin code" which will allow a player to pick up a retired skin? It can be code given away only at conventions (similar to PAX skins) or any other major event where Rioters flock to. This would leave it pretty exclusive to players who own a legacy skin or require people who want one to attend a major event.

For the Event Legacy Skins, sure, but there isnt anything special about the retired Classic Legacy Skins. Thigns like Emerald Taric are just another skin that isnt available because its Legacy. Those skins shouldnt need a event like PAX to get seen again.

LightEcho

09-05-2012

Why is buying thing with RP so expensive for example why do purely cosmetic skins cost around 7 dollars instead of say 2-3. When i compare the amount of content that money spent on RP gets me with say another commercial games its around 10-12 skins for a new game at full retail. I don't see why RP prices aren't lower across the board, one would think that if say prices were half as high people would buy roughly twice as much and people like me who aren't buying anything because the prices are outrageous might buy something aswell.

Dragull2

09-05-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:

I agree that unlocking all of the content with IP would take a very long time, but I'm not sure that's a reasonable standard for evaluating IP gains. When we surveyed players recently to find out what they like and dislike about LoL, two statements they disagreed very strongly with were: “I feel like I have to spend money to be competitive in LoL” and “I feel like I have to spend money to have fun in LoL”. I think those are better starting points for looking at IP gains.

But that said, the survey did reveal some things we need to fix with IP pricing, and those changes should help with this perception as well.

I think the main point of the IP gains is that it was great before those changes, a year ago or so. Remembering the old days makes people sad...

anyways:

Quote:
Even though some players can and do succeed with 2-3 rune pages, this issue clearly frustrates players more than most, and therefore it is very high on the list of what I want to fix.

This is even more annoying for players that want to be competitive.
They will need specific rune pages depending if the opponent they are against, depending on the strategics they are using (2v1 top, etc..).
And with 2 rune pages you can't really fit all roles, although it depends on the meta, I know.

Nowadays it is:
ad rune page for adc
gold rune page for support
ap or MR page for AP mid
Most junglers use similar to adc but with armor penetration or atk speed.
Top lane uses similar to jungle (or to AP in case of Kennen/Vlad/Rumble).

Also, some champions need their own rune page (AKALI), although in this case I would rather have the champions changed, because requiring a specific rune page to be balanced is dumb.

So, I feel that 4 would be an ideal amount for casual players. I don't say "give them +2 rune pages for free", but reducing the IP price of them would be great.

EDIT: some questions were already answered. I'm dumb, sorry.

Maybe a price reduction when you buy several at the same time? Like, 6300 one page, 10k 2 pages, 14k 3 pages, etc...

Quote:
This is an interesting idea, but it impacts so few players, it is probably not going to be a high priority anytime soon. However, we do plan on doing a lot more with bundles so that should accomplish much of the same objective.

Bundles based on champions role would be great!
I know that themed sounds cool, but:
AP bundle, AD carry bundle. Junglers bundle, etc... would help specifically players that may want to be competitive...
This is a must.

Boyahda

09-05-2012

Bumping this. Awaiting responses.