Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ardulus25

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
I think most players would love this but I'd want to be sure we live up to the commitment made when those skins were put into the legacy vault. In other words, did we set an expectation for some skins that they would never be available again? I need to do more research there, and would appreciate input from those who own legacy skins.
I own a fair few legacy skins across a couple accounts. My thoughts on this are that the holiday themed skins should be available again during their holiday. They would retain some limited mystique while more people would be able to enjoy the glory that is Haunted Nocturn or Santa Gragas!

johnlennonpwns

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2012

Quote:
If enough players wanted something like that, I could probably make it happen. But only if they promised not to call it a grind!
I like this idea, i for one have never thought of lol as a grind and prefer old champs to the new ones anyways

Pizzaplan3tman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2012

Thanks for doing this Hippalus!

I was wondering though is there a chance for players who've spent a large amount of money on this game receiving some kind of thank you gift? Maybe just a special skin? Not to be greedy but it'd be a cool gift for having spent a lot of money on this game. Not that i regretted any of it! :3

scotth266

09-05-2012

Holy cow, a guy in the pricing department actually talking to us. Thanks for finally getting around to that, and addressing some of the concerns we have.

That having been said, here are my thoughts on pricing and League:

The two-currency system is a good one, and I think that having to save up IP through play does wonders at introducing people to the game: it rewards you for playing by letting you play more of what you like more often, which is the best way to do the free-to-play model.

That having been said, RP is currently a mess IMO. There aren't enough options, and the options that are available don't feel cost-efficient in the grand scheme of things outside of those two $30 champion bundles, especially as more and more champions/skins are added to the game. It's nice to see that you're working on new RP metrics/bundle options, and have resumed champion price reductions - this is a good place to start, and it's made me feel a lot better about the future of this game.

Another thing I'm happy to see you talking about are global IP boosts. It feels like these days the only time we get a double IP weekend is because of some silly social media function (the facebook hitting a certain number of likes, for instance). It used to be that double IP weekends were handed out more frequently to the community - I hope that you start to resume this trend.

IP is fun to earn, but we don't have enough things to spend it on. This is the one area that I feel other MOBA games like HoN have League beat: with their version of IP you can get all kinds of stuff, such as extra profile icons, announcer voice packs, and even champion skins! In fact, earning skins isn't that hard to do in HoN: I would like to see League move in that direction, and make IP able to purchase skins. I'd also like it to be fairly easy (say, 4800 for a normal skin), since skins are a fun way to customize your champion in League. I'd be okay with having some skins be RP-only though, such as Pulsefire Ez or Legendary skins, as those are pretty big money-earners for you guys.

(Speaking of Legendary skins, nag someone to rework Magnificent Twisted Fate already - a lot of people are still annoyed about that skin and how it was made a Legacy Skin even though it wasn't that good from a Legendary standpoint.)

Most importantly though, I'd like to see you continue to discuss things with the community. I feel that lot of the frustration on the boards here (the "Chinese overlords" variety) stems from a lack of communication from the commerce department, and it has caused issues in the past, particularly regarding the plans you guys have about Legacy skins - see examples like this for details: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=18728103

Hopefully you find some of this useful.

EDIT: Oh, and it would be nice to see you guys establish a general percentage of how many champions you want to be at each tier of IP/RP (say, X percent will be 450, Y will be 1350, and so on), with older champions being reduced over time as new ones are added. This would do a great deal to ease the annoyance of how every champ is 6300 these days.

Iambetterthanken

09-05-2012

Thank you for addressing so many of these issues and being open about it. I agree that some of the legacy skins should make a comeback, and that rune page costs should scale as you buy them.

Also any word on the price points of runes? It's just that buying some niche runes [spell vamp I'm looking at you] can cost as much as buying a champion. I believe they could use some adjustment... although Im not sure.

nyttyn

09-05-2012

Quote:
I think most players would love this but I'd want to be sure we live up to the commitment made when those skins were put into the legacy vault. In other words, did we set an expectation for some skins that they would never be available again? I need to do more research there, and would appreciate input from those who own legacy skins.
As an owner of Mundo Mundo...

I have absolutely no problems with legacy skins getting released again.

GoodGuyRadio

09-05-2012

Welcome to RIOT Hippalus ^_^ I've read through your posts and I'm all for the changes that seem to be in the works. GOOD LUCK!

Koppee

09-05-2012

Have some legacy skin sales, especially some of the themed ones like the olympics or soccer ones or even some of the retired skins. I understand that its supposed to be limited but to be honest I haven't seen those skins at all during games. It kind of defeats the purpose of them being special if in a solid year of playing I haven't come across more than 1?

Besides people who just started this game recently would like something special to have as well. I know you mentioned having some of the legacy skins come out of the vault to be sold again for a special amount of time but I haven't seen such a sale happen ever.

Sageoffire

09-05-2012

Quote:
-snip-
2 types of skins in question, Limited Skins and Legacy Skins.

Limited Skins should stay limited. If for whatever reason, you didnt get Silent Night Sona that one Christmas long ago, then oh well. its a Limited Skin and the ones who DID buy her expect that it stays a Limited Skin. This goes for all of the older event skins listed as limited.

However, Legacy Skins were removed from the store for some random reason that most of us probably will never know. My best guess is that it was becuase they wernt selling well, and Riot wanted a huge promotion to get a few last sales on them, again, who knows. What i do know is that these skins are not Limited, they wernt part of a special event or anything. Moneypenny posted the precise definitions of skin types here
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...7#post18726127
and while it makes no guarantee that Legacy skins will become available again, it suggests that we might see them again (we did see Shamrock Malphite again).

I bought a bunch of Legacy skins before they were vaulted, due to the huge discount, but in my opinion, they never should have been vaulted in the first place. Its not like they take up any room on the servers being in some vault ...

I would like to see them appear in sales in the future, maybe not at a discounted price, but i dont see why they should have to be removed for being classic skins.

naotasan

09-05-2012

Two questions.

1) When I worked for less popular companies doing F2P services but also having things you can pay for (same as Riot) we had a "sale" where the prices dropped (similar to how you get an RP boost) and we noticed that during the first few weeks, there was an increased incoming, so we left the prices as they are, and the sale lasted forever. Well I guess it's not a sale at that point... but I digress.
We noticed (after crunching some numbers) that even 2 months after the sale was announced and prices changed for good, our overall income per month was greater than it was PRIOR to the sale. Example, we made 400$ before the sale, 600$ during, and 500$ every month afterwords. The question: Would it be possible for you to increase the boosted RP time to see if people actually buy more RP for it? Like, do it for a month or two and see if sales generally increase and not just for a short period of time. I might be rambling here, and I'm pretty sure you understand what I'm asking.

2) Do you play Dominion?