K. D. Bonez Guide to Not Being a RP Noob

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

K D Bonez

11-15-2010

UNDER RECONSTRUTION CUZ FOR SOME REASON HALF OF IT IS MISSING. WHEN I COME BACK FROM WORK TODAY I'LL DO EXAMPLES FOR EVERYTHING.

The following is a list of various "guidelines" to keep in mind when RPing. Following them will help keep RP's nice and clean and understandable. Also included at the end are some tips for RP Making.

No Character Controlling: This should be fairly simple and easy to understand. If someone is in the RP as a person, you have no right to control them in any way in your own post unless that person has given you permission to do something, in which case they must post that themselves.

Have a Purpose: "Hi, I'm some random dude you never heard of, and now your all dead, the end" . . . . no. When you RP, you're trying to create a story you'd actually like to read again after it's done. If it's full of random **** that will never make sense, you're ruining it. Try to make it believable for who/whatever your character is.

Know Your Setting: Along with the above, keep how you act realistic. You're not gana bring a bunch of guns and swords to a wedding are you (unless it's Noxian or you are a Noxian (not a pirate))? Keep in mind the mood of the setting and act appropriately.

Create A Star: No, not that American Idol stuff, I mean make a character feel unique. Act like how you would imagine they would and do what you would imagine they would do. If you're a Noxian, you're a trickster and a dastardly fellow. If you're a Demacian, your Justice incarnate. If you're from Bandel City, your either a little blue girl who's either serious or makes a lot of sexual innuendo, or a fuzzy little guy who can go insane if left alone for a while.

No "God Mode": I swear upon the Righteous Fury of Jesse Perring, if you go and act "Oh I'm God, trollolololo" or be a Mary frakking Sue I'll come to your house and beat you with a Nine Iron. That is not a threat, that is a promise *grips his trusty Nine Iron*

Out of Character, OCC: ((if you're out of character, do what I'm doing here; keep it in double parentheses))

Citations: Post a profile of your dude. If you don't have a database or something online you can use Shurelia's.

Link: http://summoners.shurelia.com/

Know Thy Foe: This is specifically for the subject above; make sure you know who you're going to be interacting with.

Defeat Can Be Elegant: Let's face it, you can't win EVERY SINGLE FIGHT in your life. Knowing that, you should accept it when it does happen, and not act like your an immortal god that will magically survive a fatal wound by yourself w/o aid.

Roll Out the Red Carpet!: Though people may say otherwise, for RP's a first impression can mean everything in the world. If you want to make an impact, this is where you'd do it.

Fusion, HO!: An OOC area for your RP is a great idea. Sometimes, you can even pull off even greater scenes if you collaberate to preform a joint action (in a single post or not). Just keep in mind if your going to type for someone else, you agree on what's written and you have the consent of the other.

Consideration goes Miles: This is something that I find isn't a huge problem often, but still worth noting. In an RP, if someone is doing something like "Forging a blade of unparalleled power" or something like that, it's not going to snap in half if used against minions and such. However, there's a fine line for this, as it doesn't mean there can't be an event that does break it, just know it won't happen easily.

Que The Spotlight!: The story isn't about you; well, let me put it this way, this isn't a Single Player JRPG where your the only person that matters. The RP is for everyone involved, and every person is equally important. You can be strong, smart, etc etc, but it doesn't mean you get to be the center of attention.

Where Was Your Post?: This is specifically if your RPing on the forum; sometimes the forum will derp, so it's a good idea to copy and paste it into a Word Document then post. Trust me, I have lost COUNTLESS Paragraphs because of this.

The Future Is Always Cloudy: Just because you might have talked with the people in the RP on what will happen, don't RP yourself so that you already knew what was coming. Sometimes, it's more fun when you don't know what's going to happen (at least when in character).

Don't Pull a TBW: Forum apathy is a bad thing, if your going to be a member of an RP, and if your going to create and lead one especially, stick with it. Don't stop going to the forums for a while just because you don't feel like it anymore, or if you are doing so have the decency to let people know your out. If it does on it's own from the RP'ers no longer RPing, then don't worry about it.

Eagle Eye Smith's "IMMA CHAMPION!" Illness: Simply put, if your controlling any official character (actual League Champions or other important people), your being a puppeteer, not a RPer. Hell, even Shurelia doesn't like doing it. Plus, you should WANT to play as your own character. Why just be the same old Master Yi when you can be Amandragora, the Plant Queen™! However, if you REALLY want to, you can in your own RPs. But for Official RP you can't RP as one so if you've been playing one forever, you can't join in the fun unless you make your own character.

Now then, the next part is for those who want to START Stories;

Location, Location, Loc- *Gets handed a Lawsuit*: Make sure you know just where in Valoran you are. Also keep in mind places like Magma Chamber arn't even accessable in the Lore, so it's unrealisic you'll be able to go there in an RP.

Old Trick, New Dogs... wait: Although it's great to have the same great RPers over and over again, this creates almost an Elitism on the Lore Forum. Adopt a RP Newb now and be willing to help them, because eventualy they'll be just as pro.

Screenwriting Isn't for Everyone: Let's face it, you might be able to come up with the concept of the RP, but you need to do much more then just that. You got to make sure to get all the minor details in as well. Think of all those nameless characters in Video Games we don't care about, don't overlook them just because they arn't the final boss or something. VILLAGERS CAN BE GREAT BACKGROUND CHARACTERS YOU KNOW!

I Got Four Aces and a King, You?: If your the person in charge of the RP, you should keep a list of who you have, and a rough idea of their abilities/powers/skills. Just because this is an RP, don't feel you can't call someone out on doing something they shouldn't be able to, and having a list with a rough set up for your participants can help.

Bandits, Rogue Mages and Monsters OH MY!: This is possibly the most important part of the RP; who's the enemy? Unless your in an RP that has no antagonist, you need to make sure you know what your players are facing. Keep in mind that location also factors into this; you won't find Desert Bandits near the ocean, right? But also keep in mind this isn't an excuse to take the strongest thing from an area and hurl it at your participants.

Example: Travling thru the Shurima Desert. You could encounter Desert Bandits, Sand Storms, various wildlife. Unless your near the end of your adventure, you won't be encountering Animated Sphinxs or three stories tall monsters. Keep the big baddies for special events and the such.

Note: The Champion thing does not apply to Runebook >_>

Lu Caos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2010

Ah yes, finally the essential to all RP forums, perhaps put up some RP examples and this'll deserve a sticky!

Talz

11-15-2010

Yeah, following rules would be nice. I'm new to RPing actually, and don't claim to be perfect, but these shouldn't have to be that hard to follow.

Silverling

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2010

WTB Sticky. .

Was actually kinda like something I was looking for the other day when making my profile...

Dracorya

11-15-2010

...*feels slightly like an ass as she has already violated #7*

PhantomChaos

11-15-2010

I think the better phrasing for #7 would be the 'official' Champions, as we can still technically RP as our own self-made Champions.

1Eredale

11-15-2010

Ooh, there wasn't a guide? Can I bring my detailed one here (posted it on some other forum)?

Koragon

11-16-2010

One thing I think you forgot to mention is appropriate usage of language and description. As an rper, you want people to understand who your character is, their attitude when they are speaking to you, their body language, and of course their voice. It's important to stick true and to understand who your character is. Remember, your rp character does not have to be like you. I've found that making a rp character that is completely different then yourself vastly improves rping skills.
Just my two cents.

K D Bonez

11-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
I think the better phrasing for #7 would be the 'official' Champions, as we can still technically RP as our own self-made Champions.
When i said "canon" that ment offical. I.E. guys like Yi, Shen, Mordekaiser, Miss Fortune, etc. I'll specify that better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koragon View Post
One thing I think you forgot to mention is appropriate usage of language and description. As an rper, you want people to understand who your character is, their attitude when they are speaking to you, their body language, and of course their voice. It's important to stick true and to understand who your character is. Remember, your rp character does not have to be like you. I've found that making a rp character that is completely different then yourself vastly improves rping skills.
Just my two cents.
That's kind of what i ment with the 2nd and 3rd. However, i did add a new guidline titled "Create a Star"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eredale View Post
Ooh, there wasn't a guide? Can I bring my detailed one here (posted it on some other forum)?
Any other things you don't see you think would be good are more then welcomed ^_^

Also, i think when i get a chance, i'll write up two scenarios, one that's typically a not so good example of RP, and a good one. If I got A LOT of free time, i'll try to do a middle man one.

Kasmiria

11-16-2010

Nicely done, Bonez. That's all I can say for this. If I think up something to add, you'll know.

12345 ... 7