For New 30's coming into season 3

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

beebzu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Hello Everyone! season 2 will soon be coming to a close, and i would like to give some advice to all the NEW level 30's coming into ranked at the beginning of the season, because it happened to me in the beginning of season 2, when I was a new thirty.

The advice is this: I believe that you should not play for maybe the first couple weeks of the season. I say this because after the new season begins, everybodys' elo (the system in how players are ranked in League of Legends) will reset to 1200, the original starting point, therefore all the people who have platinum elo (1900 or higher) and may completely outclass you in terms of experience and skill will suddenly have a chance of being in the same game as you. My first game in season 2 i was up against somebody who had 1950 elo in season one who destroyed me COMPLETELY in lane. So please, while I know its exciting to go into ranked matches for the first few times, wait so that people can get closer to their true elo's before you play, because it could give you the chance to have a lot more fun in ranked

chaser676

09-04-2012

This isn't true. If the reset is like last season, the elo reset is going to be a soft reset following bell curve trends, not a hard reset.

A hard reset is what you mentioned: everyone going back to a certain number.

A soft reset is going to separate players out by this seasons rank by a small margin of elo, relative to your current status. For example, a 1258 elo player may be reset to 1208 elo, a 1372 elo player would go to 1246 elo, and a 2400 elo player would drop to 1600 elo. This works the same way with sub 1200 elo's.

While those above numbers are pure guesstimations based on last years data, the fact remains that the only players new ranked summoners will fight against is other new summoners, as per matchmaking guidelines.

All this information and more can be found at lolwiki!

Edit:

To the original poster: a summoners highest rank achieved is often not what they end with when the season finishes, and these summoners will not be paired with experienced ranked players unless they play ranked in season 2.

Isamichi

09-04-2012

^: That's what they did at the start of Season 2: Everyone's elo was reset to a bell curve. However, the bell curve was alot more condensed.

Either way, Riot's argument still stands firm: Regardless of the reset, players of the proper Elo range still return to their range over a large amount of games. Many people have justified this by making fresh accounts and returning to their original elo low, mid, and high elo alike.