Counters to Jayce

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeusVult

09-03-2012

After watching PAX and just the general manner that people handle a Jayce pick, it seems that most people don't know how to lane against him.

After the few weeks that it took for people to sort out his role, (not jungle or ADC; used to see a ton of adc jayce right after his release) he now is almost always a top lane, building tri-force and somewhat tanky, and using his long range poke and AAs to harass most normal top laners out (darius, shen, olaf, etc.)

From my experience, it takes a champ that has two of three things to beat Jayce; Sustain, Gapclosers and general mobility.

Having good sustain makes it so that he can't just poke you out of lane like he usually does; if he spams his Q, he'll run out of mana before he can poke you down if you have decent sustain and the ability to dodge about half of them (not that hard to do.)

Gap closers make it so that he cant just kite you with his superior range, as jayce is even better at this than most, as his melee E is a nice knockback, his Q is a slow and his ranged E is a movement boost. All of this allows him to dominate most melee opponents with ease. Having a low cd gap closer or a gaploser combined with cc is even better, as it will allow you to stick to him and get off some damage, as jayce has no natural sustain.

General mobility, while good on any champ, is a must for facing a jayce. Always start boots+pots, so you can dodge his Q, which his most of his damage. Also, being able to reengage after he knocks you back, whether through a gapcloser, dash or general MS increase will make the difference in trading with him during the laning phase. If you jump on him or go to engage, he will simply Q-E combo you away in melee stance, then switch to ranged and kite you back to your tower. By being able to get back into the fight without being kited, you will do much better against jayce than a regular melee.

Using these three categories, I have beaten Jayce nearly every time I have faced him in lane, and IMO, the best champs to counter him are;

Irelia - spamable Gapcloser, good sustain, plus some nice sustain and the fact that your irelia.

Warwick - Not used much as a top laner since the Q nerfs, but still quite strong and a monster vs. jayce; He can't poke you at all, once you get ulti its pretty much over. And he can't run from you at all once you get phage.

Jax - gapcloser plus stun, into jax's awesome burst and dueling abilities; levels one through six can be challenging, but once you get some sustain and a phage you dominate.

Rengar - A little iffy, but his passive ruins jayces harass, he has great sustain with W and max out E first for free harass, ganks and passive procs. Still waiting for buffs tho

Yorick - Gets banned out a lot, so you really cant use him, but thats cause he has no counters. Its hard in his kitchen

Xin Zhao - Gap closer + knockup, good burst, good sustain. Ruins jayce on a win NAo basis

I've heard GP and a competent Cho can beat him, but i've never tried it. Oh, and Riven, but thats because shes super mobile and has shield + huge base stats.

So stop counter picking yourselves against jayce and crying OP - he really isn't

TL-DR: Waiting a response from Westrice

Samenko

09-03-2012

Agree with everyone you said but Xin. Jayce counters Xin quite hard, don't know why you thought the opposite.

Poke-poke-poke, xin jumps on you, E him away. Poke poke poke.

Seriously, its retardledly easy. I don't get your thought process.

gonn

09-03-2012

not darius

DeusVult

09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonn View Post
not darius
tl dr

72 Pillars

09-03-2012

Yes...

fishnchipsmate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-03-2012

jayce can't really be countered in lane, what you do is put someone who can survive him (aka sustain/mobility like you said) who can just farm and thus outscale him into late game

Shaidester

09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusVult17 View Post
After watching PAX and just the general manner that people handle a Jayce pick, it seems that most people don't know how to lane against him.

After the few weeks that it took for people to sort out his role, (not jungle or ADC; used to see a ton of adc jayce right after his release) he now is almost always a top lane, building tri-force and somewhat tanky, and using his long range poke and AAs to harass most normal top laners out (darius, shen, olaf, etc.)

From my experience, it takes a champ that has two of three things to beat Jayce; Sustain, Gapclosers and general mobility.

Having good sustain makes it so that he can't just poke you out of lane like he usually does; if he spams his Q, he'll run out of mana before he can poke you down if you have decent sustain and the ability to dodge about half of them (not that hard to do.)

Gap closers make it so that he cant just kite you with his superior range, as jayce is even better at this than most, as his melee E is a nice knockback, his Q is a slow and his ranged E is a movement boost. All of this allows him to dominate most melee opponents with ease. Having a low cd gap closer or a gaploser combined with cc is even better, as it will allow you to stick to him and get off some damage, as jayce has no natural sustain.

General mobility, while good on any champ, is a must for facing a jayce. Always start boots+pots, so you can dodge his Q, which his most of his damage. Also, being able to reengage after he knocks you back, whether through a gapcloser, dash or general MS increase will make the difference in trading with him during the laning phase. If you jump on him or go to engage, he will simply Q-E combo you away in melee stance, then switch to ranged and kite you back to your tower. By being able to get back into the fight without being kited, you will do much better against jayce than a regular melee.

Using these three categories, I have beaten Jayce nearly every time I have faced him in lane, and IMO, the best champs to counter him are;

Irelia - spamable Gapcloser, good sustain, plus some nice sustain and the fact that your irelia.

Warwick - Not used much as a top laner since the Q nerfs, but still quite strong and a monster vs. jayce; He can't poke you at all, once you get ulti its pretty much over. And he can't run from you at all once you get phage.

Jax - gapcloser plus stun, into jax's awesome burst and dueling abilities; levels one through six can be challenging, but once you get some sustain and a phage you dominate.

Rengar - A little iffy, but his passive ruins jayces harass, he has great sustain with W and max out E first for free harass, ganks and passive procs. Still waiting for buffs tho

Yorick - Gets banned out a lot, so you really cant use him, but thats cause he has no counters. Its hard in his kitchen

Xin Zhao - Gap closer + knockup, good burst, good sustain. Ruins jayce on a win NAo basis

I've heard GP and a competent Cho can beat him, but i've never tried it. Oh, and Riven, but thats because shes super mobile and has shield + huge base stats.

So stop counter picking yourselves against jayce and crying OP - he really isn't

TL-DR: Waiting a response from Westrice
Jax doesn't counter Jayce because Jayce can E Jax away as Jax does his dodge. Yorick would be a close matchup but Jayce eventually wins. Irelia loses to Jayce pretty sure on that one too. Warwick would probably be the safest bet and xin zhao as well.

The Situazian

09-03-2012

I beat Jayce with Riven every single time. I have 4 gap closers, a stun, and a long range ultimate. Her shield helps her survive early on, and bush hiding. I love when I shield in to last hit a minion or two, and Jayce poked me with a couple AA's getting rid of it. Then the lane naturally pushes so I feel safe. Once I hit 3, I put on my bully pants and proceed to harass him without fear of ganks.

Once I get my 2 dorans and an early vamp scepter/ninja tabi I can smoke jayce.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-03-2012

Lee Sin seems to do fairly well against Jayce. His early burst is pretty darn high as well and he's got sustain+a shield+a gap closer.

Charzin

09-03-2012

Nidalee? Dat spear poke, raged CS and she can heal herself up.

12345 ... 6