Zeke's Herald: Is it viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HearshotKDS

09-03-2012

I've been looking at Zeke's herald for support. I like the idea of having an aura that provides offensive stats for my lane partner. However, as far as I can tell, it seems early game it's always better to rush Aegis and Reverie, and late game the bonus doesn't do enough to justify getting this over another item.

So my question is: Can any of you guys think of a situation where this item would be useful enough to justify getting on a support? I play in rankeds around 1400-1500 ELO, usually playing Taric/Leona/Janna. But I'm willing to try out any character in the support role just to see if this item can work.

Pitufito Dell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-03-2012

I think that all them benefit from Zeke's. Nunu is a great Zeke's user too. But the people that benefit more from it, are Adish junglers and Bruisers.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-03-2012

It's viable on some bruisers and supports. Possibly the best example would be Taric, the bruiser-support.

As for how effective the item itself is, that's indirectly a fault with how Riot has balanced League of Legends in general, and thus directly caused by the mistake of using Kindlegem as a recipe item. You see, Ranged AD carries are balanced around have 0% CDR in their build, and they're designed to deal as much damage as possible over time. What this means is that since adding CDR to their build could potentially imbalance them, all items with CDR are designed to be under-efficient for RADCs.

This is why items like Zeke's Herald, Youmuu's Ghostblade and Soul Shroud all suck so bad outside of specific characters (sans Soul Shroud, I literally never see that one built). They're designed so that a ranged carry cannot benefit fully from the item's effects, or so that the item's stats don't increase their DPS for **** (and in the case of Soul Shroud, since it's a CDR aura, the only other aura on it is MP5 which doesn't help much).

bob000

09-03-2012

It's ok lategame as it multiplies the carries large damage.

Diablo48

09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
It's viable on some bruisers and supports. Possibly the best example would be Taric, the bruiser-support.

As for how effective the item itself is, that's indirectly a fault with how Riot has balanced League of Legends in general, and thus directly caused by the mistake of using Kindlegem as a recipe item. You see, Ranged AD carries are balanced around have 0% CDR in their build, and they're designed to deal as much damage as possible over time. What this means is that since adding CDR to their build could potentially imbalance them, all items with CDR are designed to be under-efficient for RADCs.

This is why items like Zeke's Herald, Youmuu's Ghostblade and Soul Shroud all suck so bad outside of specific characters (sans Soul Shroud, I literally never see that one built). They're designed so that a ranged carry cannot benefit fully from the item's effects, or so that the item's stats don't increase their DPS for **** (and in the case of Soul Shroud, since it's a CDR aura, the only other aura on it is MP5 which doesn't help much).
Ah, this is making me think of my Graves build. I have some CDR in my runes and mastries which let me maintain the attack speed steroid nearly all the time in late game team fights for incredible sustained DPS.

Of course, you could also sacrifice a bit of attack speed for the CDR boots on an AD carry which would throw things out of whack as well.

Certified

09-03-2012

Regrowth > Rush Philo, Boots of Speed, Aegis (Armour > Ruby > Null) > Kindlegem > Ninja/Merc > Rev > Kindle > Zeke's...

With runes/masteries this gives you 40% CDR...

HearshotKDS

09-04-2012

Thanks for the responses.

I guess I have been looking at this item the wrong way in terms of getting it later game. While it's certainly not as effective at boosting my offense as other items (Like Omen or FH or Bainshees) would be at improving defense, perhaps at some point a support like Taric or Soraka doesn't need to get any tankier, and improving the ADC+bruisers damage, even if by a little bit, takes priority.

Kagami

09-04-2012

It's important to note your team comp before you consider taking it, if neither you top nor jungler really benefit from it you shouldn't probably build it(like if you have a double AP comp and tank jungler)

JustMyBassCannon

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo48 View Post
Ah, this is making me think of my Graves build. I have some CDR in my runes and mastries which let me maintain the attack speed steroid nearly all the time in late game team fights for incredible sustained DPS.

Of course, you could also sacrifice a bit of attack speed for the CDR boots on an AD carry which would throw things out of whack as well.
But when you do that, you're sacrificing other runes and boots choices. Granted, those are the least painful sacrifices to make because runes are literally just bonus starting/per level stats, and boots are T2 items that are grabbed more for mobility than the stats, but it's a sacrifice nonetheless.

Thornmaelstrom

09-04-2012

Zeke's Herald is viable; lifesteal is an incredibly multiplicative stat and your buying a metric ton of it for your carry.

About Soul Shroud: Currently an underpowered, overly niche pick. It is ONLY picked in premade teams (including tournaments) for Poke compositions. Period. It has no use outside of poke comps with prolonged seiges.