Xerath tips

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Least Pro Lee NA

09-03-2012

I recently acquired xerath and have enjoyed playing him so far. But there are a few things about him that im having trouble with. The main issue for me has been securing kills in lane. With malzahar ( my previous main) it was relatively easy. poke them down to about 3/4 Hp then wait for them to over extend or flash in and unleash your combo adding ignite if necessarily. With xerath ive found it to be a bit more difficult. Its easy to poke your opponent with his Q but once there low enough i find myself having trouble finishing the job. they will usually keep out of range of my stun and if I set up with his W it telegraphs my intentions and they back off. Unless they make a serious mistake they can almost always get away. I was wondering if more experienced xerath players had a method to prevent the enemy from escaping.

Isamichi

09-03-2012

Hey caledfwch598!

I'm glad that you're enjoying Xerath! he is a very specific champ to pick and play, but is enjoyable overall. A bit of background info might help you concerning this though.
Xerath was originally designed to be an Artillery Mage themed champ: He sets up camp a bit of a distance away from a team fight and bombards the field with attacks and whittles away at the enemy team. This style is perfect for Sieging Towers or spots where the enemy isn't as mobile. a good representation of this recently was the NA Regionals where Dignitas ran a "Poke" team

Xerath's goal in lane isn't exactly to kill the enemy champ but to Zone them and deny experience and gold from the enemy effectively starving them and making them useless for a majority of the game. Thus, don't be too bummed you're not getting kills like Malzahar (because HE was designed to single out one champ during a fight and absolutely murder them).

I hope this helps!

TehomCD

09-03-2012

Eventually they'll need to be briefly stationary to get a last hit unless they give up on farming completely. When you have your ult, you're incredibly dangerous in lane. Land an e, ult them, and they're probably history if you've been poking them a lot. If they're at the point where they're hiding behind their turret, roam and gank sidelanes. You can save W to use it to land a Q on a runner rather than needing to use it beforehand, in a lot of cases.

Some champions Xerath will just be bad against. There's no way you'll ever kill an Ahri unless they completely screw up, and Fizz will normally wreck you. Other strong mids can probably out-push Xerath and roam (Morgana, Zyra, Orianna, etc), even if they'd lose duels to him in lane. I think champs like Ryze and Leblanc are weak against him - champions that have both shorter range and relatively weak pushing.