Dark Souls: I need a shield

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deconstructor32

09-02-2012

I've pretty much upgraded everything I have from the beginning, new armor (that ballin elite knight set in darkroot) new weapons (obviously) but I am still running around with the same heater shield you start with. I actually use the hollowed soldier shield because its a little bigger and looks cooler, but its pretty much the same stats. I didn't buy the crystal shield from dude in the depths because I was told it can't be repaired, and I actually did find a shield that is loads better, the large stone ones those huge green knights in dark root carry, but you need 36 strength to use it. So I'm still stuck with my soldier shield. Is there anything decent near where I am? Or closely down the road? I just got to the bonfire in Darkroot Basin.

Colonel J

09-02-2012

Silver Knight Shield has the best stability of any normal shield when fully upgraded. Though normal shields only matter if you want to parry.

Greatshield of Artorias has the best stability of any Shield in the game, but it's heavy and you need STR, weak magic resistance. Havel's Shield is 2nd best stability but it's also a greatshield, need more STR, but is the most resistant shield to magic.

If you just want a good shield that's light and you don't want to parry go with the Eagle Shield. It's in Blighttown.

Einheria Valesti

09-02-2012

personally i use the black knight shield cause i love the look of it, the green grass shield (has a name something like that) is a decent enough shield too for magic protection, it regens your stamina faster as well.
I can't actually remember where a lot of shields are in dark souls for some reason lol

Deconstructor32

09-02-2012

I got invaded for the first time. That was fun. I was just running back somewhere and it tells me some dude invaded. Dunno what to make of it, and I basically run into him on one of the narrow ledges in darkroot. He didn't do much, left a couple items in front of him, a soul of a great hero and an indictment. He let me pick them up then he bowed. I bowed too, then I guess that meant we were fighting because he began to fling pyromancy at me. First spell my shield blocked but still took some damage, second spell 1 shot me. Dunno what to make of that, I was hollow at the time, no humanity except what was in my inventory so I guess I didn't lose anything?

Einheria Valesti

09-02-2012

you got invaded while hollow? That doesn't sound right, you're not supposed to be invaded unless you're alive, there's NPC invasions but iirc those are only when you're alive as well.
If he bowed I guess he wasn't an NPC though...
weird

Deconstructor32

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibalung View Post
you got invaded while hollow? That doesn't sound right, you're not supposed to be invaded unless you're alive, there's NPC invasions but iirc those are only when you're alive as well.
If he bowed I guess he wasn't an NPC though...
weird
Actually now that I think about it I might have been alive but my humanity counter in the top left was at 00. I think when I was playing last night I probably unhallowed myself then quit, but I'm wearing elite knight gear so I can't see my face, so I forgot. I probably was unhallowed now that I think about it.

sammich kek

09-02-2012

You can farm for a Balder shield right there in the burg church, or you can go farm silver knights in Anor Londo.

Those two have incredibility high stability, but only the Silver Knight shield has decent magic resist.

Also the eagle shield was nerfed, no longer 100% physical block, no point in it.

Deconstructor32

09-02-2012

Is it always a trade off? Are there good shields that have 100 physical block and good magic and fire/lightning resist values? Are they all greatshields? I just fought the gay butterfly boss and died, it kinda sucks because I could have won that fight if I came in prepared for it. I had no good bolts for my heavy cross bow or anything. I'm running back to the blacksmith though to take care of that problem and hopefully upgrade some of my equipment.

Forum Use Only

09-02-2012

The Grass Crest Shield is very close to the bonfire at Darkroot Basin and comes with a permanent stamina regen buff as long as you have it equipped. I used this shield for pretty much my entire playthrough.

Deconstructor32

09-02-2012

I keep reading about saving boss souls for stuff. So far I haven't picked up a boss soul in the game, I've fought asylum demon, taurus *******, the gargoyle brothers, capra demon, gaping dragon, and soon to be moonlight butterfly. None of those after I have killed has said I picked up their soul. Usually its twin souls or something else. Does this just show up later when the option to use their souls is available? Am I just missing them?