I need something cleared up..

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nrgflo

09-02-2012

OK, so I have done some reading. Played a few games, even watched a few vids. Now the only place it seems I can get answers that I understand is here. So here goes..

Please help me understand the difference between lanes. It seems certain champs are being played in certain lanes for a reason. I'm just not sure why.. does Top have a different directive than Bottom? Middle I can understand Junglers taking for ease of movement.

Thank you all in advance for your time and patience!!

Fs Son0fSilas

09-02-2012

It can be a bit complicated, but you are going to here the word 'Meta' a lot.

So, I will start with Mid, this is where I Main. Mid lane is the shortest lane (distance between apposing towers) and is usualy regarded as the 'safest' lane because of it. You want to put a single AP caster in this lane for a few reasons. Solo farm and xp being one of them, in a solo lane the amount of xp gained is increased. It is also easier for a singe champion to farm the gold. Having the generally squishiest champion in this, the shortest lane, allows them to be "relatively" safe while giving them the most gold possible. A strong Mid player will also move to other lanes to gank, when the chance is available. (Edit: Mid champions mostly have very strong burst damage, because they will generally level the fastest out of every lane, they can quickly move to another lane and gank VERY hard.)

Bot is mostly played by an AD carry, and a Support. Again, this is to maximize farm and safety. While the AD carry farms minions it is the supports job to protect the AD from ganks, and secure kills for his/her team when they have the advantage. Many supports will have some form of sustain to keep their AD in lane as long as possible. It is also regarded as the supports job to ward bot lane and Dragon, to keep from getting ganked, and to keep objective awareness.

On top of that, having 2 bot along with a jungle gives the opportunity to Dragon earlier as opposed to having a solo bot lane. (Dragon control can be very important)

As the jungler, you free up your other lanes to maximize their gold and xp. You rely almost entirely on jungle camps for a steady stream of xp and gold. You also are pivital in securing both Dragon and Baron. A good jungler will also gank lanes (depending on where they are needed most) and will feed their teams kills. It is generally considered bad form to steal kills from your team. It will be hard (early on) to decide wether or not you need to Kill Secure (ks=kill steal; KS=Kill Secured). As the jungler you will also be in charge of jungle awareness, and. Giving blue and red buff to your team as needed.

Top lane can filled by multiple rolls and champions, and revolves entirely on the comp of your team. Are you looking for a tank? Do you need more DPS? Will an Assassin work on your team?

Mostly the requirements for a top lane are (in no particular order) Surviveability, Sustain, Escapeability, Damage, Ability to Farm, Ability to Harass, Natural Tankyness, Mobiliy, and Lategame/Earlygame strength. I'm sure there is MUCH more, feel free to add to it. Top lane is where you will see a lot of counterpicking.

It is important in every lane to have warded correctly, it is gaurenteed that map awareness will win every game.

GON the Mage Guy

09-02-2012

King Silas hit it on the head. Something to keep in mind though, that's what's "accepted" at the moment (known as the meta). The meta changes to accommodate certain strategies the community finds are optimal, however only sticking to those strategies can be a bad thing. If you play a team that does something different, chances are you're not going to adapt simply because you're so used to the standard 1 bruiser top, 1 AP mid, 1 jungler, support/ADC bot.

There are other strategies that can work, such as two top and one bot. The caveat to that is the two top MUST crush that lane quickly, and the bot lane champ has to be able to hold the lane on his own until then. Another is an AD Carry and bruiser bot lane (my favorite being Xin Zhao replacing the support) where again, you dominate early, then go roam and help the other two lanes with the jungler.

You can also put an AD Carry mid, or a bruiser mid, but it depends. If your team's mid is completely countered mid lane, switch it up if the bruiser can push the opposing team's mid out of lane, or if the AD Carry can farm safer than who your team has mid.

Fs Son0fSilas

09-02-2012

I hope that this helps, feel free to ask any other questions and I will try to elaborate on what I can.

Nrgflo

09-02-2012

So being a fan of Nunu, sounds like I could hold mid alone. I am working not dying as much. I tend to get caught too far out and the other champ taking me out. I'm trying remember to buy and place wards. For the point of disscussion, where should I place the wards in mid?? Considering all of my games are early lvls, I can only assume they are new as well. No real communication on lane placement has been called out. Please tell me when I get to higher lvls that the communication is better. I have been reluctant to get vent or skype. I'm starting to think I need this in order to play well. Anyone have an old headset they would be willing to donate?? Lol

GON the Mage Guy

09-02-2012

Nunu is really good as a top lane, bottom lane, or jungle champ. A lot of the popular mid champs simply do not allow him to farm, and his iceball does not cause them to run away, rather it keeps them in the same area since it slows. Compare it to someone like Cassiopeia and Gragas, where when they cast, you're trying to avoid their skillshot, which moves the enemy around, while Nunu's is not avoidable once you click on them. That's also his only damage skill until level 6.

As far as warding mid, putting them on either side of the lane in the bushes is good, or by the left 3-way junction below Baron Nashor (where you can either go to mid lane, into the river, or into the jungle from there) since that's typically where junglers come from to gank.

Communication depends on your teammates as well, and you can only call MIA so much. Pings are the best form of communication if you're not on any VOIP service, since they're pretty clear in their intention and make most players look at the minimap (where you should be constantly checking anyway).

A common misconception is that you always have to call MIA. It's impossible to always call it for your lane, it's a courtesy, not a requirement. Your best MIA is your minimap. Be paranoid. If you don't see someone on the map, assume they're coming to your lane, especially since you're playing mid. Hit Tab and see who's visible if you can't make out who is who on the map (those visible are highlighted).

Fs Son0fSilas

09-02-2012

In most cases solo queuers won't all jump on skype before a game starts, however communication using in game chat improves with skill.

Warding mid, there are many different options. Most of the time you will be putting a ward in either river bush to show when a jungler is coming in for a gank. This will not keep you from getting ganked, but it will usually give you fair warning. This does not give your free reign to push wildly. If you are pushed to enemy tower, with wards in both bushes, you can still be ganked from either side path.

I will usually put wards in either river path, and then place a ward near either wraith camp. This will give warning to your team if the enemy jungler is invading and counter jungling.

At early levels Nunu can be a viable mid. He farms well with consume, and stacking AP makes his Snowball hit VERY hard. His ult also has a high AP ratio and with a full channel can oneshot champions. The problem you may find is that he pushes too hard. You will want to focus on last hitting (this means letting your allied minions deal 90% of the damage to an enemy minion. Then killing the minion with 1 auto attack.) It can be hard to learn at first, but it is a valuable skill. If you find yourself being pushed feel free to AA minions to keep them from reaching your tower. If you are stuck at your tower the general rotation for last hitting is Melee Minions will take 2 tower shots, and then die to an auto attack. Caster Minions will take 1 AA, 1 tower shot, and then die to another auto attack.

Again, Nunu is a good champion to learn Mid with the sustain he has through eating minions. However, there are MANY other mid champions that out DPS and out Burst him.

Annie is my Main, and I always suggest new players learn to play her. Her Q refunds the full mana cost when used to last hit minions. Tibbers is a Large AoE damage ability, that can stun an entire team when places properly, and the damage she can do in a short amount of time is INSANE. Her IP price is rather low, and she is easy to learn. The chance of regretting the purchase is rather low, and even if you don't have the chance to play her when she is free, I think she would still be a smart buy for you.

Remember, Remember, Remember. DO NOT OVEREXTEND and you will usually be fine when laning.

Nrgflo

09-02-2012

As usual KingSilas, you have been more than helpful!! Hopefully I will get to play tonight. Looking forward to trying out the tips.. want to try a 3v3 bot game to practice..

Fs Son0fSilas

09-02-2012

Please feel free to Add Son0fSilas (<--- the O in 0f is a Zero)

Nrgflo

09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilas View Post
Please feel free to Add Son0fSilas (<--- the O in 0f is a Zero)
Sent the request last night.. hopefully I will get to play tonight. Had one of my better games last night. 0 kills (bummer), but only single digit deaths, and a few assists..